Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So saturday I decide to do some yard work and trim my tree in the front yard...so I load up a load of limbs to take to a burn pile at a future subdivision site... well I started backing up to unload my crap, and I didnt see the 2 feet of swamp under the grass....

I couldn't get out...4hi, 4lo & locked. So I grab the phone to call my neighbor and his 4x4 powerstroke excursion (33" Toyo A/Ts) to yank me out. Well he didnt tell me he was having tranny issues...(until after he dropped me off at the house to get shovels) ...so he hooks up and starts to go..so I give it gas...well I noticed his Turbo's spinnin and his wheels aint..none of em. Well mine where...before he hooked up I could open my driver door. After his attempt...door wont open...I sunk.

So I call my Bro-in-law...he has the same vehicle 4x4 Excursion...he hooks up and can't move me. (If I would have called him first...I would have been out in 10 minutes). So I call my wifes friend Layla to see if she has any friends with a winch...nope.."We're on our way with a strap" (her and her husband). So they show up and she pulls in behind me to pull me out backwards....well she's in the same swamp as me in her TJ and starts to sink...sowe now have 2 vehicles stuck still attached. So my Bro in Law runs home to get his Hi-Lift Jack and More beer. (I've allready contacted DD..and he has Commitments with "The Boss".....well I've would have had my phone on me and I would have answered, he would have came out and took the wrath from the boss later.)

So I call my Buddy, and he say's I'm on my way home to get the 4runner, we'll be there. So we daisy chain the 4runner (33" M/Ts) to the Excursion (33" Terra Grappelers) then Hi-lift the TJ to get wood under the tires....and pull her out no problem (yes its my wifes friends TJ). So they decide to try to yank me out from the front...our tow hooks SUCK....well the bolts do....we snapped the rear bolt on the passenger side hook, and pushed it in to the bumper.. (pics of that damage tomorrow).. now my center section is effed up and the gap between the bumper and bellow the head light his bigger on the passenger side. (oh well character...good reason for and aftermarket bumper). That doesnt work, so we hi-lift the back of my T to get some wood under the tires...(oh I was sitting on the frame..with the truck in gear and @ idle...tires rotate..lol). So we daizy chain the 4runner and Ex again (they were on solid high ground). We connect 3 20' recovery straps to reach me...and BINGO! I'm out. My brother in law started to hear everyone yelling so he stopped...then they said no GOOOOO!..lol

Now Here's the audience. Me, Joe (Broinlaw), My Wife (in the begining...daugher was at home with son), Layla (TJ), Jeff (Layla's husband) John (my other Bro inlaw), his wife 4 kids and 1 friend, Mark (4runner), His wife, neice, her boyfriend, his friend, some family on 4 wheelers (they didnt hang around). Then all went back to my house for beer & pizza...till 2am. Got stuck @ 2:30pm..got out @ 8:45 ish. As night was rolling in.

The part the took the longest time was waiting on stuff and vehicles...lol
Ok now for the part ya'll wanted...PICS...

Me workin the Hi-Lift..(After bumpers...this is next!)

Front end up on the Hi-Lift

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Damn that sucks, should have messaged me I would have run down there to help.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
wow dude that SUCKS!!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
:lol: Looks like fun! Haha don't feel bad, I had to get my buddy in his Expedition to pull my big Ford out yesterday.:blush:

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Ha ha, that looks awesome.

The worst part is that if you look at the second pic, the grass looks safe enough. You would never know the danger until it was too late.
Guess you found that part out...:teethmast

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Wow you sunk that sucker pretty good.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
What you really needed was a tractor. That ground is just way too wet and deep.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That was a great read-and thanks for the pictures.

I use these and they haven't failed me yet!
OKoffroad.com 4x4 Recovery - Sand Ladders
Thats exactly what I told Layla (the TJ owner) we needed...Hi Lift it up, slide those under the wheels to span the whole the tires dug, and drive out..lol or tow.. Those and the Hi-Lift are on my list...lol

I found an alternative to the Hi-Lift today in 4 wheel & offroad Mag RADFLO makes the Hydra-Jac. Radflo Suspension Technology - Hydra-Jac

But I saw the price....I'll get a Hi-Lift....lol

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok here's the effed up tow hook...and the 3 sections of knotted together recovery strap...lmao Must get some D-Rings..

Time for a beefy bumper replacement...lol well not right now...not until I pay off this Transmission...lol

·
Registered
801 Posts
Glad you got it out. Sucks that that they tow hook didnt hold up though

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Yeah our front tow hooks are a really bad design, ropes/chains can pop off of there easy, and they don't pull straight on the frame. The hooks on Dodge and Ford are much better design, like a big 'D'. It's a closed shape.

·
Registered
394 Posts
dam dude...

i got stuck in snow and had a excursion pull em out too...

no fun getttin stuck... so hard on the truck

·
Premium Member
20,599 Posts
You need to move up to Colorado where you have to look really, really hard to find any mud. Bummer about the tow hook but it's good (for me at least) to know they aren't that strong.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You need to move up to Colorado where you have to look really, really hard to find any mud. Bummer about the tow hook but it's good (for me at least) to know they aren't that strong.

Hmmmm lol... I'd move back to So Cal or Alabama first if we moved...lol

The tow hook was fine...it was the bolt that snapped.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts