Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I filled my tires with Nitrogen too.

See this thread:
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-wheels-tires-brakes/51946-got-tires-filled-nitrogen.html?highlight=nitrogen

Pretty cool really. I happened to be at a meeting at the factory that makes the units which filter Nitrogen out of the air to fill tires. The unit deflates the tire to 2 PSI, refills then deflates back to half PSI and reinflates a final time. This guarantees something around 95-98% Nitrogen in your tires.

See the link in that thread from Carbeaux

·
Registered
679 Posts
I believe I have nitrogen in my tires. When I first got the truck I had trouble with the tire sensor, and they said that this would help. That and there is a N by one of the valves on one of the tires.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well.......

Nitrogen gas does not expand and contract due to heat as regular air does. So this is very useful in avoiding the pressure warnings in areas with cold winter seasons or extremely warm temperatures.

Also due to the molecular properties of Nitrogen, it does not escape from your tires like oxygen and other gasses found in air.

It is also an inert gas which prevents rim corrosion.

·
Registered
364 Posts
CoeCEO said:
Well.......

Nitrogen gas does not expand and contract due to heat as regular air does. So this is very useful in avoiding the pressure warnings in areas with cold winter seasons or extremely warm temperatures.

Also due to the molecular properties of Nitrogen, it does not escape from your tires like oxygen and other gasses found in air.

It is also an inert gas which prevents rim corrosion.
No. All ideal gasses expand and contract at the same rate. PV=nRT

Leakage IS a function of molecular weight. The smaller the molecule, the faster the leakage. Nitrogen is 28, air is collectively 29, so it actually LEAKS FASTER than air.

Your last reason is probably the only one. With no oxygen, there is no oxidation. So the inside of your wheels will stay shinier.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Nitrogen is a scam that tire places use to get an extra $5 per tire from us. The "regular air" they put in, which is what we breath, is already 79% nitrogen. I'll call BS all day long that the extra 20% nitrogen makes a difference with ride or anything like that. The only thing I agree with is the oxidation factor, but I can honestly say that oxidation of the inside of my wheels is not even remotely a concern of mine.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Nuke said:
No. All ideal gasses expand and contract at the same rate. PV=nRT
But 'air' is not an ideal gas- using pure (98% pure?) makes the pressure predictable. Useful in racing or other hi-performance apps- IMO useless for a street vehicle.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
In a high performance application like road racing in a humid environment it can be a benefit but for a DD it wont do much.

Costco does it for no extra charge, but I would never pay for it over air.

My tires are a mix of regular air, co2 and nitrogen since I refill them with various tanks.

·
Registered
364 Posts
RangerNewbie said:
But 'air' is not an ideal gas- using pure (98% pure?) makes the pressure predictable. Useful in racing or other hi-performance apps- IMO useless for a street vehicle.
I'm not sure where you are getting your information, but it's not accurate. Yes, air is an ideal gas at tire pressures and temperatures. And the pressure is predicted to be the same with 80% nitrogen (air) or 98% nitrogen or 100% nitrogen.

·
Registered
364 Posts
RangerNewbie said:
So you're saying that the composition of 'air' is the same from every source?
Same amounts of water vapor, particulates, trace gases etc.?
No, I'm saying that air behaves as an ideal gas, ie., PV=nRT applies. The pressure response to temperature change is predictable, and the same for all gases, including water vapor, argon, etc. Particles are essentially incompressible, and not subject to changes in volume with temperature.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Wasn't this already hashed and re-hashed and then hashed some more in the last thread regarding Nitro??? I think I'm having de-javu

·
Registered
976 Posts
Simply put, because of the molecular properties of pure or almost pure nitrogen by itself vs. the toxic soup we regularly inflate a tire with, and using the coefficient n-1 to extrapolate the varied and extreme conditions of driving, you arrive at a mean value that approximates zero variability given any range of temperature change vs. the other stuff. Can I be any clearer?

·
Registered
192 Posts
kman said:
Simply put, because of the molecular properties of pure or almost pure nitrogen by itself vs. the toxic soup we regularly inflate a tire with, and using the coefficient n-1 to extrapolate the varied and extreme conditions of driving, you arrive at a mean value that approximates zero variability given any range of temperature change vs. the other stuff. Can I be any clearer?
Clear, but still bull****. There is absolutely no perceivable difference between the expansion, contraction, pressure change, etc, for use in tires between pure N2 and DRY air. Period. Doesn't matter what it's used for, racing, aircraft, whatever, still no difference. The only difference is that the pure N2 is DRY. Water vapor is the ONLY thing that makes any difference, and in street vehicle applications, it's negligable regardless. So, the bottom line is, N2 is a SCAM.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Ridley said:
Clear, but still bull****. There is absolutely no perceivable difference between the expansion, contraction, pressure change, etc, for use in tires between pure N2 and DRY air. Period. Doesn't matter what it's used for, racing, aircraft, whatever, still no difference. The only difference is that the pure N2 is DRY. Water vapor is the ONLY thing that makes any difference, and in street vehicle applications, it's negligable regardless. So, the bottom line is, N2 is a SCAM.
show me the math that supports it and i'll believe it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
[p+a(n2/v2)](V-nb)=nRT

V is the total volume
a is a measure of the attraction between the particles
b is the volume enclosed within a mole of the particles b = nAb',
n is the number of moles,
R is the gas constant

And using the established van der waals constants of:

% composition of air
N2=1.39 78.084%
02=1.36 20.947%
Ar=1.34 .934%
co2=3.59 .033%

You can see that at normal temperature fluctuations seen in tires, "air" and pure nitrogen will result in pressure variations of less than 1%. That would be the equivalent of ~1/2 psi at 50 psi :futwice:

However, if you add a significant percentage of water vapor... with a van der waals constant of 5.46, you could see fluctuations of up to 5-7%, which is still absolutly irrelevant in a street car, but may have a slight disadvantage in a racing application where extreme temperature fluctuations in the tire occur and minute pressure variations have adverse handling effects.

SO, I'll reiterate.......Nitrogen is a scam. Most comercial compressors, have efficient air "dryers", so h2o vapor is not an issue. Now, if you have a hillbilly deluxe air compressor that has a tank full of water cause it's never been drained............N2 would be a good investment :jester:

The 20$ or so spent on the nitrogen scam, would be much better spent on an oil change :gunz:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts