Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About two months ago i gave a friend $700 to put towards a down payment for some tires and wheels for my truck. the wheels were on backorder for 3 months so i told him to get the money back and i'll go somewhere else.
two weeks later after calling him every day (w/out him picking up) i get a call from him saying he needed the money to pay his first and last months rent payments at a new apartment. i told him that was bull**** and i wanted my money back. normally i would go to his house and demand the money but since he moved i only know what city he lives in (2 hours from my house) and where he works sometimes (he's never there when i call).
i email/myspace/call him every day with no response. what are my options as to what i can do? since it was cash am i screwed? also my father's a police officer so i have that at my disposal. however, i would prefer to handle this myself.

·
Registered
848 Posts
r8rsr1 said:
About two months ago i gave a friend $700 to put towards a down payment for some tires and wheels for my truck. the wheels were on backorder for 3 months so i told him to get the money back and i'll go somewhere else.
two weeks later after calling him every day (w/out him picking up) i get a call from him saying he needed the money to pay his first and last months rent payments at a new apartment. i told him that was bull**** and i wanted my money back. normally i would go to his house and demand the money but since he moved i only know what city he lives in (2 hours from my house) and where he works sometimes (he's never there when i call).
i email/myspace/call him every day with no response. what are my options as to what i can do? since it was cash am i screwed? also my father's a police officer so i have that at my disposal. however, i would prefer to handle this myself.
have your pops look him up. find out where he is and kick his ***"misslelau "misslelau

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Legally I dont know how well the verbal agreement to put the money down for the wheels will stand up in small claims court but thats truly the only recourse you have if you cant get him to give you the money.

I would have someone look his info up for you if you cant do it yourself and go talk to him.

Next time you do something like this get it in writing, and at least witnessed by someone outside of the interested party (no GF or wives, complete neutral party).

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2 coworkers know about it/saw the cash getting handed to him
however since then, he along with the other two got fired

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
r8rsr1 said:
2 coworkers know about it/saw the cash getting handed to him
however since then, he along with the other two got fired
Did they hear the conversation? If they just saw money exchange who knows what that could of been about.

Unless the verbal agreement was heard and could be recounted in a court of law you are really truly screwed.

Make people sign for stuff. If you dont you just handed over cash for no reason. Or at least have something in writing stating what you are supposed to be doing. Unless you just want to hand them cash, in that case you can hand me cash anytime!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
where are you from? in CA a verbal agreement is considered a binding contract. but i would rather track him down and beat the **** out of him

·
Registered
319 Posts
Sounds like you lost a friend. probably won't ever get your money back and if you do you'll still probably never talk to the guy again. money w/ friends does that sometimes.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i should say he was a good friend of mine. i trusted him with no problems before this. however, that was while he was working for me but i transfered and like i said he has since been fired (along with the only other two people that knew about the transaction). the only reason i gave him the money was because he used to own a custom truck shop and still had a couple friends that could get the tires/wheels at cost.

i do live in cali

·
Registered
126 Posts
WOW I would never have done that in the first place. Good luck getting the money back or kicking the crap out of him whichever way it goes.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Leadsled124 said:
where are you from? in CA a verbal agreement is considered a binding contract. but i would rather track him down and beat the **** out of him
the problem is the contract may not be the same unless there is a witness you know? People lie about anything and everything these days.

·
Premium Member
31,154 Posts
Looks like you learned a valuable lesson in life, grasshopper.....j/k

GO KICK HIS A$$ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I don't know how well recordings hold up in your state,or the legalities of recording a conversation in CA. but, you could record the conversation if you ever talk to him again, if it's legal in CA. It is legal here in Wi, as long as one person in the conversation knows iit's being recorded. I carry my MP3 player/recorder with my cell phone. Good luck

·
Premium Member
17,192 Posts
Have pops find him. Go to small claims court and file and have him served. Chances are you will get a default judgment. Record the judgment and report it to all three credit reporting agencies. If the law in the jurisdiction so provides, have him served with interrogatories to identify his assets. If he doesn't answer, file a motion for contempt. If you get responses, have his employer served to garnish his pay. Of course you may never get paid, but you can mess up his credit rating pretty bad.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
As Thomas Tusser once said "A fool and his money are soon parted."

Hope you get your money back, if not chalk it up as a learning experience.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
1st place, he wasn't your friend, you just thought he was. If small claims court doesn't work, chalk it up as $700 tuition to the school of hard knocks.
And don't go beat him up, unless you can get him to start it, and then, to add insult to injury, he might win the fight, that would be my luck.:boxing:

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
First things first brother.
Don't go kick his ***. That will only lead to trouble.
You DO have his email address.
I am sure he needs to be spammed to hell with penis enlargement ads.
You DO know how to make that happen DON'T you?

·
Registered
409 Posts
go to the police station and fill out a complaint....you will need his new address though....I did that with someone that wrote me a bad check and got my cash in a hurry..........

1 - 20 of 24 Posts