Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying I have a 2007 crew cab xe 2wd. I went to my girlfriends aunt's house who lives on a lake. They all brought there boats so I brought my jet ski. When I got there they all were taking there f250's 4x4 straight into the water from her back yard not using a ramp. I had second thoughts but they talked me into it. I got down to the water then my tires started spinning. Bottom line I had to get a f250 to pull me out.. Pretty bad! My question is that If I had a lift and bigger tires would I not have gotten stuck? Will bigger tires help prevent that from happening or will I just look even dumber stuck in the mud with bigger tires. I know its a 2wd but I could not afford the 4wd.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
no way. by what it seems you do alot of towing and 2wd is perfect for you. it's just the XE models come with $hitty tires with no grip. i'm still waitin on mine to bald a little more before i splurge into some terra grapplers or bfgs

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
A couple things.

Did you have your gear in 1 or 2? A lower gear on the shifter applies more torque and is supposed to prevent this from happening.

Bigger tires by their sheer weight will make it harder to get going but do nothing for torque.

Now the question? How steep was the incline and how deep were you?

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
tru-trac would help you more than big tires and lift. Two wheels to the ground putting power is better than just one.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was not in a gear... I just had it in drive. The incline was not bad at all pretty much just straight back. But when I started pulling out my tires started spinning then began to sink. I stopped before my tires were completely buried, but the back passenger side one was over half way down. I was just curious if I had like 35's would that have helped me from sinking and pulled me out.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
It's a good idea to lower the tire pressure before you drive into the lake. Did you do that ?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No i didn't lower my tire pressure, I did not know that would help. I'm new to owning a truck, I guess there's a lot of things I will be learning.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Lower tire pressure will help, BUT IT'S STILL A 2WD, with monster torque!!!
It doesn't take much gas and they'll start to spin. That's the problem I have and why I'm looking into a tru-trac as well.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Good tires will make a HUGE difference. With my old stock tires I had to use 4X4 on my dirt road when it was wet, now I have the toyo m/t's and now I never need to use the 4wd to get down my road. Other than tires the true trac like someone else said it your only real option.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Realisticly with a 2wd its really a 4x1. I installed a trutrac and think its the best mod I have done to my truck period, I also coupled it with upgrading to big tow gears at the same time and have a new love for my 04 truck!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I think you got suckered by the guys with the 4x4's I have launched in mud,I don't care what rear tires you have,sometimes you have to have a 4x4 with the front wheels on solid ground to get out of slick moss covered mud.
If you go in too deep,even a 4x4 will get stuck sometimes.
If you've ever been to Lake Mead (level down 50%) most launching is being done well past where the launch ramp originally used to be,it is comical to watch,some guys are in water to their doors and the boat still isn't close to floating off the trailer.If you want to watch a show in stupidity,it happens regularly.

·
Registered
87 Posts
dont spend the money on tires, just get the tru-trac like a lot of guys are saying. it wont matter how big your tires are if you only have one of them doing all the work.

also airing down your rear tires, since your 2WD, will help you get extra traction in a pinch like that, just dont drive on the roads like that.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
d0va said:
tru-trac would help you more than big tires and lift. Two wheels to the ground putting power is better than just one.
I agree, tru-trac is going to be my next mod! I pull a 21' cuddy cabin chris craft with a 350 CID I/O so my boat is definitely pretty heavy (havent had it weighed yet.) When I pull it out even on a cement ramp, I have problems due to the "one wheel peel." Once you get posi-traction from the tru-trac you will be much better off. 4x4parts.com is running a special right now $20 off the tru-trac if you mention titantalk. So it will be $525 for the unit.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for all the suggestions guys. I will definitely look into tru-trac. Is that something I can install or do I need to have a shop do it?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Have a shop do it, will be easier.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts