Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a distressing story last week for anyone who is concerned about the future of the English language in our country.
It's a story about a charity whose good works exemplify Christian-based dedication and compassion.
It's a story about an employer who tried to do the right thing -- to encourage its employees to learn and speak English.
And it's a story of a misguided federal agency that is using taxpayers' money to punish those who encourage English, rather than reinforcing English as the language of American success and cultural unity.

The Salvation Army operates thrift stores across the United States. In keeping with its mission to help the less fortunate, these stores both cater to lower income customers and often employ people who might have difficulty finding work elsewhere.
The Salvation Army has a policy that requires its employees to speak English on the job. In a 2003 opinion, a federal judge in Boston approved of the policy as a legitimate business practice. The next year, a Salvation Army store in Framingham, Mass., did what I think most of us would agree was the right thing to do: It gave two of its employees who spoke very little English a year to achieve a level of English proficiency required to do the job.
It's important to note that the Salvation Army didn't summarily fire these two employees. Quite the opposite. Counting the five years they had already worked there, the employees had a total of six years to learn English. But when they had failed to do so by 2005, they were let go.
That's when the U.S. government sued.
That's right. The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), a taxpayer-funded government commission, is suing the Salvation Army, a private, charitable, religious, non-profit group. The government is alleging that the Salvation Army discriminated against the two employees by requiring them to speak English on the job, thus inflicting "emotional pain, suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, embarrassment, humiliation and inconvenience."
Now ask yourself two things: Why is the government undermining the efforts of charities to encourage people to learn English? And doesn't it have better things to do with our tax dollars?

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
What is this once GREAT country coming to?

·
Registered
52 Posts
You're right what is this country comming to? I think you personally should have to know English to live in this country. If I where to live in another country i would expect I would have to learn their language as well.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
That is sooo sad!! When I lived in Turkey, guess what... I learned Turkish - - it's really odd to think that they didn't WANT to learn English. Almost all of the Turks wanted to learn English and would bug me to teach them.

Some parts of our government need to "reigned in". Wish I knew how to do it....

·
Premium Member
92,287 Posts
Sad. Just sad. When I was in Germany, I tried to speak German as much as I could. In doing so, it prompted the locals to try to speak English back so I could understand them better. It's all give and take. Both sides go equally to the middle ground. From there, no one feels discriminated. This is just pathetic. I'm sorry, if you don't want to accept the language of the host country, not only is it rude and disrespectful, but it shows a level of incompetence that just proves there are not enough rubbers being used.....

View attachment John Wayne - 1 for English-web.bmp

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Very well put Blackbeauty!!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Blackbeauty said:
Sad. Just sad. When I was in Germany, I tried to speak German as much as I could. In doing so, it prompted the locals to try to speak English back so I could understand them better. It's all give and take. Both sides go equally to the middle ground. From there, no one feels discriminated. This is just pathetic. I'm sorry, if you don't want to accept the language of the host country, not only is it rude and disrespectful, but it shows a level of incompetence that just proves there are not enough rubbers being used.....

View attachment 41762
I was the same way when I lived in Germany. We went to a McDonalds in Germany once and my mom had tried to order everything in German. When she got done the lady behind the counter said thank you and that she spoke English and appreciated that my mom tried it in German. lol

I really agree with that picture too. I have to call for unemployment and every time I have to press one to continue in English. Pi$$es me off every time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts