Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what is a better choice on the U-Joints

Greasable or Non Greasable

And if greasable how is this performed? And how often, just wondering if it is more of a pain in the butt then it is worth and if I shold just get the Non Greasable

·
Premium Member
75,181 Posts
the only thing I can think is that a greasable u joint will be more serviceable than a non-greasable since you can rebuild it (pull the caps and replace the bearings)

we don't have any Zerk fittings on the titan (even though the service manual suggests you lube your propeller shafts) but basically you service them when you do your other maintenance, oil, filters, etc. you'd use a grease gun to fill the bearings, when you see grease coming out they are good to go.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Greaseable can have grease added, so it stays fresher and fuller over the years, resulting in longer U-joint life ultimately. I'd prefer greaseable on a driveshaft. BTW, it is done with a normal grease gun, very easy to do, and quick.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Normally I would have said greasable. But after having my Silverado, which had 160K miles with original non-greasable u-joints, I say non-greasable.

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
We've been doing a lot of training here at work regarding "Precision Maintenance" at our plants. We use a lot of pillow block bearings, and one thing we've found is that the bearings were prematurely wearing out, due to overheating, as a result of TOO MUCH GREASE. Pump, pump, pump till its way full and squirting out was too much grease. I say non-greasable as well.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Have them do it during your normal NISSAN preventive maintenance, that's the easiest for me....but if I remember correctly, your service manual goes over all of the PM and schedules.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
We've been doing a lot of training here at work regarding "Precision Maintenance" at our plants. We use a lot of pillow block bearings, and one thing we've found is that the bearings were prematurely wearing out, due to overheating, as a result of TOO MUCH GREASE. Pump, pump, pump till its way full and squirting out was too much grease. I say non-greasable as well.
Excellent point, the grease has to be able to flow. It is a lube, not a packing material. Over greasing blows the seals on a Ball/Roller Bearing, allowing dirt in because the seal no longer contacts the Races. Excess grease is more work to be pushed around, thus the heat buildup you mentioned. 3 pumps of the grease gun is all you normally do in most applications, you don't need to see the grease. Some don't even need that much. Check a site like http://www.kamandirect.com/products/bearings/products.asp for more info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts