·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking at purchasing a 30' 5th wheel (28RKS Wildcat)here are the specs:

Dry Weight: 7520lbs
Hitch Pin weight: 1100lbs
GVWR: 11420lbs

We own a 2005 LE KC w/tow pkg. We've been more than confused from dealer's of Nissan and 5th Wheel Trailer's, so, we did some calculating with the Nissan owner's manual and feel we are safe with Gross Combined Vehicle Weight of 14,822lbs and only plan on putting 1500lbs (max) in the 5th when travelling. Need some advice please. Are we good to go? :huh:

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I'm going to start with not so good news...1/2 ton trucks including the Titan are not very good for 5th wheel towing.

The Titan(and many others) doesn't have enough payload rating, so after you hitch up the 5th wheel, you can only carry...YOU!

The other half of this is that all those weights you quoted are wrong! The advertised weights(both empty and pin) are with a standard trailer with no options what so ever, add A/C, batteries, propane tanks, the propane itself, etc, etc...you should add another 300-400 lbs to the empty weigh and another 100-150 lbs to the pin. You also have to add the 5th wheel hitch itself, so there's another 50-100 lbs off your available payload.

So you start off with about 1500 lbs payload, subtract the new pin weight of say 1250 lbs, then subtract another 50 lbs for the hitch, so now you only have about 200 lbs of payload left...

The 1/2 ton trucks pulling 5th wheel trailers are better with the lighter 5th wheel trailers. The trailer you described should be towed with a 3/4 ton truck...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'd have to agree that you'll likely be over rated payload capacity. A/C is standard on a lot of 5th wheels today, so it *may* be included in your base weight, but there are still a lot of other things that bump up your trailer weight - things like water in the water heater, propane, fresh water tanks (a big one), possibly holding tanks...

I'm not sure what causes the Titan to be rated as low as it is in payload (the 08's have been bumped up quite a bit); I suspect cheap tires might be part of it, but it could be springs, axle, frame, bearings. Between the 10% "derating" for passenger car tires used on light trucks (added after the Explorer tire problems) and the fact that Nissan recommends 35psi tire pressure (better ride/handling unloaded), you end up with the 3800 lb rear axle rating.

If you want to go for that trailer, I'd suggest at a minimum keeping a real good awareness of weight and how things are loaded. Run 44 psi in the tires (or upgrade to higher load rated LT tires). Have the rig weighed on a truck scale so you know how a full tank of water affects things. Keep an eye on how weight goes into the trailer so it doesn't end up all in front, as well as loads in the truck bed/cab. See how the truck suspension behaves with a heavy load in back, consider adding air bags or helper springs if it sags too much.

I'm looking at towing a 5th wheel with my Titan, but I'm planning to stay somewhat lighter (and under 25' length); in my case I prefer the shorter rig anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts