Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TitanTalk.com has frowned upon group buys run by non supporting vendors for a long time. Some have been allowed, and some have not. It has been this way since day 1. There has always been a rule that the group buy needs to be approved by the administration team before it is posted/run, etc.

There are a couple reasons for this.

1. This site is financially supported by the funds that the supporting vendors contribute. If "anyone" can run a group buy, there is NO reason for ANYONE to pay money to support this site.

2. Group Buys run by non supporting vendors very often go sour. While it is true a supporting vendor could "skip town" as well, usually they have a long established reputation and alot more to lose then a guy 17 year old living out of his parents basement looking for a quick buck.

I'm posting this to clear up any misconceptions regarding this rule. With the following methods, there should be no confusion:

If you plan to run a group buy, do the following:

1. Contact the supporting vendors and see if they would be willing to run the group buy.

2. If all the supporting vendors are not interested, contact the administration team and get clearance to post about the group buy PRIOR TO MAKING A PUBLIC POST.

3. If the administration team APPROVES, you may run the group buy.

4. If the administration team does NOT APPROVE, you MAY NOT run the group buy here, nor "advertise" it here if you post it on another forum.

PM'ing me or jayc or emailing me at [email protected] are all valid methods of contact.

Thank you for your understanding.

·
Registered
267 Posts
So some have been allowed and some have not. It just so happens someone chose today to put their foot down and blast a thread in the middle of a deal. Would it change if we all got on one knee and begged permission since none of the supporting vendors were interested? As I understand they were not.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WindsorFox said:
So some have been allowed and some have not. It just so happens someone chose today to put their foot down and blast a thread in the middle of a deal. Would it change if we all got on one knee and begged permission since none of the supporting vendors were interested? As I understand they were not.
It has always been against the rules, because we might have missed some before does not mean its okay to continue as if it is okay.

How do you know none of the supporting vendors werent interested, did you contact all of them?

·
Registered
267 Posts
ekool said:
It has always been against the rules, because we might have missed some before does not mean its okay to continue as if it is okay.

How do you know none of the supporting vendors werent interested, did you contact all of them?
Not personally, but then I hopped on the wagon like everyone else did.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WindsorFox said:
Not personally, but then I hopped on the wagon like everyone else did.
Odds are, not a single vendor was contacted prior to making this post. The vendors here carry that part. The vendors pay for the privilege to post here.

The shop running the group buy obviously doesnt give 2 ****s about this site, they dont contribute here, they could care less if this place shuts down. Thats why we dont allow non supporting vendors to advertise here, or run group buys.

The rule is here for a reason, and that reason is not to make your life more difficult or extract money out of you. Its to make sure that we stay solvent so we can continue to provide a free service to this community.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
ekool said:
Odds are, not a single vendor was contacted prior to making this post. The vendors here carry that part. The vendors pay for the privilege to post here.

The shop running the group buy obviously doesnt give 2 ****s about this site, they dont contribute here, they could care less if this place shuts down. Thats why we dont allow non supporting vendors to advertise here, or run group buys.

The rule is here for a reason, and that reason is not to make your life more difficult or extract money out of you. Its to make sure that we stay solvent so we can continue to provide a free service to this community.
Great point!!

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Thanks, ekool for clarification...

Well, could the person who initiated the GB contact the vendors, or someone here, contact the vendors to see if they'd be interested?

There were 8 or so confirmed I think, and I was straddling the fence-that would be nine...

ekool, how do we try to initiate this GB?

·
Registered
249 Posts
How do you quote two different threads in one reply?

Also, If you miss a curve ball, Then you have allowed it to go by you.
If you happen to be shooting at, and miss a looter carrying a tv, 4 pairs of nikes, and wearing 7 pairs of jeans, You have allowed
him to get away with it!!!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Griffey said:
Maybe I am just in tune with the english language a tad bit too much?

So maybe I will try and interrupt it for you in a cops and robbers baseball kind of way.
Sorry I couldn't resist, but the word is interpret :poke:

·
Premium Member
3,488 Posts
I'll make a comment....or two.

When Titantalk began, the truck was so new that very little was available for it anywhere. Those who were members here will remember that if we found anything at all for it.... from anyone...... we posted about it. What did our sponsors think of this?......That was easy....we didn't have any.

Any issues on the site that relate to financial matters should be forwarded to ekool or an administrator for resolution. Are they made aware of everything that goes on by the moderators?....I think not....I for one do not read every post made on the board. I did early on, but that isn't possible now with the size of our community, and the fact that I also have a job and a family. It is up to members to know the rules before posting, and to act like adults. It also helps the moderators when someone alerts us to a situation that needs attention.

As the site grows, both with members and with supporting vendors, from time to time the rules may have to be clarified or adjusted to fit our current circumstances. It may not go as smoothly as everyone would like, but such is life. However, I can assure you that the owner of the board and his administrators are far from being novices at running communities like Titantalk.

I would advise everyone to reread the rules from time to time. Some things, like personal attacks, or questioning the actions of the moderators in public, will probably never change, even though some members still often need to be reminded. It's just like going over the speed limit in your truck....you might not get caught everytime....but eventually you will.

Feel free to contact any of the moderators if you have any questions. If we can't answer it, we'll pass it on to someone who can.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Griffey said:
First off I quoted two different replies in the same thread.I did not "quote two different threads in one reply".

Maybe I am just in tune with the english language a tad bit too much?

allow-to acknowledge or permit

miss-fail to notice

So maybe I will try and interrupt it for you in a cops and robbers baseball kind of way.

A robber went into the store and stole some peanuts.The cashier missed seeing him put it down his pants.The robber snuck out of the store completely unnoticed.So he allowed it to happen???? No,he didn't allow anything.He missed seeing the crooked robber.

If you miss a curve ball...well YOU MISSED A CURVEBALL.You didn't allow it to do a darn thing.

I hope my anolgy somewhat helps you understand the difference between the two words as well as the definitions.

Again I am not complaining about rules and guidelines.I'm all for them.As long as they are all enforced equally.I actually would propose an ammendment to them.Group buys by supporting vendors only are permitted.No if's,and's or but's, this will alleviate any confusion in the future to group buy's that have been allowed or missed.
You had to go there....
First of all I was asking a serious question about the replies, I really don't know how to do that? I just mixed up the terms. It happens.
However, since you are so in tune with the english language, surely you have looked at a dictionary at some point in your life and noticed that some words have more than one definition. (By definition, I mean what the word means)
Also, in this english language you are so in tune with, what does the word "anolgy" mean. Just curious. :bye:

·
Banned
1,447 Posts
Woohoo! Spelling Nazi action!

JHOOTITAN said:
How do you quote two different threads in one reply?
Copy/paste the quoted text into the same reply window.

You can do it as many times as you like, up to the character limit allowed in a single post.

Griffey said:
... peanuts.The ... pants.The ... unnoticed.So ...

... CURVEBALL.You ....

... guidelines.I'm ... them.As ... equally.I ... them.Group ... permitted.No if's,and's or but's, ... buy's ....
Two spaces after a period please. :)

Also, the four apostrophes you have up there are plural, not possesive - no need for those apostrophes.

JHOOTITAN said:
... I was asking a serious question about the replies, I really don't know how to do that? I just mixed up the terms.
Does what I said above make it clear to you? (I'm not being a [email protected] - I just want to know if you have a handle on it now.)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Austin said:
Does what I said above make it clear to you? (I'm not being a [email protected] - I just want to know if you have a handle on it now.)
Think I might have it now. Thanks Austin.

Griffey said:
Sorry JHOO.I interrupted(LOL) your post as sarcastic.My bad.That's the problem with text sometimes.It is very hard to interrupt(lol) dialogue.So hence my sarcastic reply back.Analogy.Sorry more bad grammar on my part.I am not going to stereotype,but I'm a guy with a typewriter.I would assume since the word is in text correctly you gather it's meaning?
My apologies.
No harm, No foul. :cheers:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Okay...owning a website myself I can understand the importance of keeping your paying vendors happy (not that I have any). But, you have at least 12 on here, how am I to know what each of them does and doesn't carry? What if two of the vendors carry the same products, who am I suppose to ask about the group buy? What if none of your vendors carry the product I am interested in starting a group buy on? Just some clarification because I know there was some interest in the Billy Boat exhaust, and I am pretty sure none of your paying vendors carry it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Marc,

Actually, one of them does carry it (the one I've been in contact with, incidentally). I think we're just waiting on JayC or eKool to reopen the thread (it's disappeared). Just hang on and hopefully this will be resolved by this evening (that's what I'm hoping).

Justin

·
Registered
526 Posts
TROGDOR said:
Marc,

Actually, one of them does carry it (the one I've been in contact with, incidentally). I think we're just waiting on JayC or eKool to reopen the thread (it's disappeared). Just hang on and hopefully this will be resolved by this evening (that's what I'm hoping).

Justin
Yeah, so I noticed...kinda crappy if you ask me. Why not just post that a supporting vendor carrys it instead of deleting the post?

·
Super Moderator
37,491 Posts
OK guys, we've been through this.

No sense in getting uptight, the site's rules are the site's rules.

The answers to your questions are pretty easy and have been explained in part already but I will try to help out here.

If you want to start a group buy, it always requires some work involved for the person who is up for it and wants to do the research.

Let's say that it goes like this:

One usually approaches a vendor to see if they are game to offer item "X" at a lower than MSRP price.

The negotiations ensue and an agreement is made usually with price incentives linked to numbers of item X sold.

The motivated site member posts his group buy after notifying the mods/admin that they wish to do so and that it is confirmed as a site sponsoring vendor who is making this offer.

The only caveat the site administrators are putting on us is that we approach and use only site sponsors and get the group buy blessed by the site management as kosher. You say we have 12 site sponsors, then that should be enough for anyone to work with to find a good price on a group buy for item X.

Right now the site rule is clear that if none of our sponsoring vendors carry what you want, a group buy for item "Y" from a nonsponsoring vendor will not be allowed on this site.

Carry on, you brave Titaneers!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Lon,

Could you point me in the direction of the official rules? With all the talk about them lately, I've been trying to find them but haven't been very successful. I feel kinda stupid not being able to find the rules, but maybe I'm having an off day.

That said, do you know why the thread I started on the B&B got shut down? The thread wasn't a group buy; it was merely an effort to gauge interest in a group buy for the B&B exhaust. I was PM'ed about it by a mod after I noted that I was inquiring about the GB with a TT sponsor. The mod noted that he would let it stand b/c I said it was with a TT sponsor but requested I tell him who the sponsor was (which I did). However, the thread has disappeared off the face of TT.

I'm very confused. I have PM'ed said moderator as well as eKool about reinstating the thread, but neither have responded to my requests. I understand they might be busy, but I'm eager to resolve this - even more so since I did everything right (Going to a site sponsor for the group buy etc). Help!

Anyhow, thanks for any input.

Justin

1 - 20 of 56 Posts