Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I have noticed, I guess what you would call a "growling" coming from my engine. It is pretty loud in the cabin of the truck. It also seems to be louder when it is idling in gear, and a little quieter when it is in neutral. It has the ticking that I have also read about, I think that is just the fuel injectors, but like I say, this is more of a growl. Any ideas? It does seem to be louder when it is colder outside.

·
Super Moderator
93,464 Posts
Have you checked your oil level?

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, oil level is fine, BTW I am using Mobil 1 Synthetic, I have heard some say that it can cause the engines in the Titans to be a little noisier, hard to believe, but that's what i heard.

·
Registered
571 Posts
It's more than likely the exhaust manifolds. I had the same problem with my '04. It was making the "ticking" noise and it was really bad at start up when the truck was cold. I took it to the dealer and sure enough both manifolds were cracked. I had them replaced under the trucks 8yr/80K emissions warranty. Didn't cost me anything and my dealership gave me a rental car since my truck stayed overnight. My truck runs perfect now and best of all no more ticking noise.

·
Super Moderator
93,464 Posts
Cracked manifolds would account for the ticking sound, but I don't think it addresses a "growling" sound at idle.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I recently had a strange sound similar to growling at idle. It was more noticable when the A/C kicked in and the truck idled up. I assumed my A/C compressor was going bad. It turned out to be my Ingen intake vibrating against the fender. I re-aligned the breather hose and tightened everythihng up and it was gone. I also added small self adhesive rubber bumpers to the spots with potential to make contact.
Now to kill the rattle under my truck. Im thinking its the skid plate on the gas tank. Some foam golf balls my dampen the sound.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I recently had a strange sound similar to growling at idle. It was more noticable when the A/C kicked in and the truck idled up. I assumed my A/C compressor was going bad. It turned out to be my Ingen intake vibrating against the fender. I re-aligned the breather hose and tightened everythihng up and it was gone. I also added small self adhesive rubber bumpers to the spots with potential to make contact.
Now to kill the rattle under my truck. Im thinking its the skid plate on the gas tank. Some foam golf balls my dampen the sound.

Or Rocks. Mine was making an aweful racket once I heard it at drive thru's and stuff. ended up just taking it off shaking it out havn't heard a peep from that area at least

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am thinking it may be the manifolds, It all seemed to start after I took it to the delarship for another popping noise when I accelerate, they ended up replacing the right engine mount, and strut assembly. Right after that I took it on a trip to Nebraska (about 2200 miles) in the winter, then when I got back home I heard the growling noise, so I started looking around under the truck and noticed that they bolted the new engine mount to the engine, but not the frame. I can't help but wonder if the engine flexing more than it should have, along with the cold weather, might have caused an already weak manifold to crack??

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
You're sure you don't have a dog or a lion locked under the hood right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts