Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have no emissions testing here. So what if I gut the front cats and use de-foulers for the sensors? I read that Deerslayer used a sawzall, but I don't have one. Can I just unbolt the b-pipes and use a long screwdriver and hammer to gut them? Then vacuum out the debris?

The other option is to cut the cats off and replace them with flex pipe from the local parts store, until I can get by the muffler shop for a permanent fix. I'd rather not go this route, but if I do, what size pipe will I need to replace the front cats?

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
We used a long prybar and screwdriver on O-fivec's OEM manifolds. Then used an air compressor to blow out all the packing and guts. Don't inhale that stuff and use a mask for protection. :)

Good luck on the DT drama. Good info to NOT buy from dougthorley.com. I bet it's the same yahoo that was a member here and presented him self as a DT employee. He posted a few times then split when members questioned the cheap coating.

·
Registered
811 Posts
dougthorley.com is giving me the run around on the headers I ordered, so I'm tired of waiting for them. My cats have been throwing codes for about 2 months now and I'm not willing to gamble any more. My truck has 114k and the cats are a ticking time bomb; they have to come out now.

We have no emissions testing here. So what if I gut the front cats and use de-foulers for the sensors? I read that Deerslayer used a sawzall, but I don't have one. Can I just unbolt the b-pipes and use a long screwdriver and hammer to gut them? Then vacuum out the debris?

The other option is to cut the cats off and replace them with flex pipe from the local parts store, until I can get by the muffler shop for a permanent fix. I'd rather not go this route, but if I do, what size pipe will I need to replace the front cats?

Regarding the header fiasco, don't buy from dougthorley.com (this is not the oem website). I ordered headers over a month ago and still have not received them. Every time I email, they reply back that they are shipping "this week". This last time, I told them I want a tracking number or cancel the order. What do they do? They enter a bogus package in their UPS system to give me a tracking number. UPS has yet to receive the imaginary headers. :ftard:

Call your credit card and get your money back now... This is probably a scam. I reputable company would not have sent you a fake tracking number.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We used a long prybar and screwdriver on O-fivec's OEM manifolds. Then used an air compressor to blow out all the packing and guts. Don't inhale that stuff and use a mask for protection.
Sounds like the manifolds have to be removed? :confused:

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Sounds like the manifolds have to be removed? :confused:
Yup, we removed his Nismo headers and replaced them with the "modified" manifolds. You could probably do it with the manifolds still bolted up and use a shop vac and or start the truck to blow the rest out... The stuff falls right out once it's broken up.

Home Depot rents tools so they may have a sawzall available.

Hopefully the DT drama works out for you so you aren't doing a header install twice!

Reactions: Misfit

·
Registered
899 Posts
I ordered mine from nick at dougthorleyheaders.com. I found him on this forum, then called Doug thorley directly and asked the receptionist for him to make sure he really worked for DT. Did you end up ordering from someone else? Mine came in about two weeks later. Something doesn't sound right...

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ordered mine from nick at dougthorleyheaders.com. I found him on this forum, then called Doug thorley directly and asked the receptionist for him to make sure he really worked for DT. Did you end up ordering from someone else? Mine came in about two weeks later. Something doesn't sound right...
It's a different place that I ordered from. dougthorley.com is operated by BnR Performance, aka BJ's Off-Road.

I have the whois info from their website:

BJ's Off-Road
Brent Hughes ([email protected])
(253) 265-6678
Fax: (253) 265-6679
PO Box 2344
Gig Harbor, WA 98335

I ordered from them because they seem legit. They even have a forum.
BJ's Off-Road Forums - Powered by vBulletin

So I'm not sure if they are trying to rip me off, or their customer service is just that bad.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hopefully the DT drama works out for you so you aren't doing a header install twice!
This whole ordeal has kind of dampened my enthusiasm for headers. I'm considering gutting the cats and just leaving it at that.

My primary reason for ordering the headers was when I started getting code 0420. I envision the cats disintegrating and ruining my engine. Getting rid of the cracked manifolds would just be a bonus.

I checked my AFR, and I'm running around 12.8 at WOT, so I don't think the cracked manifolds are too bad. So if I can eliminate the cats for cheap, I might just sell the headers, if they arrive, and get TruTrac instead.
I know, I know. :teeth:

·
Registered
899 Posts
Oh, I get it. I was thinking you ordered from the same place I did.

·
Registered
968 Posts
i wouldnt gut the cats...just order another header. did you guys know those cat manifolds are worth major $$$ for the cat material inside! i sold mine for 300 bucks...that made my new header purchase real cheap! and yes you can thank me later!

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
i wouldnt gut the cats...just order another header. did you guys know those cat manifolds are worth major $$$ for the cat material inside! i sold mine for 300 bucks...that made my new header purchase real cheap! and yes you can thank me later!
Who wants to buy cracked manifolds with faulty cats?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
An update on dougthorley.com: Looks like they actually shipped the headers.

The headers shipped from Greensboro last night.

So I'll retract my "do not buy from dougthorley.com" statement. They're still slow though. :)

·
Registered
968 Posts
Who wants to buy cracked manifolds with faulty cats?
any salvage yard will buy them bro...mine brought 150 a piece...they are filled with valuable elements such as platinum etc...even if they are worn out they will still be worth the same....just make sure they are not blown out and broken up!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yup, we removed his Nismo headers and replaced them with the "modified" manifolds. You could probably do it with the manifolds still bolted up and use a shop vac and or start the truck to blow the rest out... The stuff falls right out once it's broken up.

Home Depot rents tools so they may have a sawzall available.

Is there a Problem with the NISMO Headers?? that u removed them and installed a Modified stock manifold set? Fill me in cuz I have a set on my truck and I havent heard of anything bad about them. thanks

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Is there a Problem with the NISMO Headers?? that u removed them and installed a Modified stock manifold set? Fill me in cuz I have a set on my truck and I havent heard of anything bad about them. thanks
Shawn, Steve sold his truck and decided to give me the headers for being such a good friend. :)

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
well any updates on this?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts