Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a yaesu ft7800 in my truck recently and just decided to post some pictures incase any of you are looking for ideas.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pics during the install because it was kind of a last minute thing.

I started with the antenna install first. I decided to go with a NMO mount because I thought it would look the best and I wouldn't have to worry about what type of mount to use somewhere on the bed.
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I then ran the coax into the trim and along the side to the rear of the back seats where I placed the actual radio.
[/IMG]

Finally I ran the cables from the radio via the trim on the floor along the doors and up under the dash. I then removed the entire console and shifter area and ran the remote cable to the center console storage. I bought two L brackets from Home Depot and sprayed them completely with Plastidip so that they would be black. After they dried I took the remote head of the radio and I used RTV silicone to attach the two L brackets to the control head. I mounted the control to the inside of the console storage using the silicone and secured it with a C clamp over night until it dried.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have to ask....Was your mother's maiden name Beale? I think we're brothers. I LITERALLY did most of that in my T. The differences are that I went with a Comet SBB5 dual bander mounted on my toolbox and I put my 7900 faceplate in the sunglasses holder in the overhead console. In the center console is my 10meter and my Smith and Wesson .40. Seriously....who are you and why have we never met?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Looks awesome man! If I had the room in my center console, I'd probably do something similar. One of these days I'll get my HAM Radio license....

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Juday, thanks man. Go get that license and get a radio.

@Rob...haaaa that wasn't my mother's maiden name, not sure I know you unless you live in FL lol....I just noticed I mistakenly listed the model as the 7800. I thought about mounting the control head in the sunglass holder but I wasn't sure how difficult it would have been to take down that whole upper console. What kind of 10 meter rig you got in the console? I was looking at a magnum omegaforce s45hp to install next, the only thing I want to avoid is having to drill a hole for the coax and connector but I like having my radios concealed so I'll probably end up doing that...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've got an RCI 2950 in the center console. It's an older radio but I really enjoy the functionality and the menu/button operability. I run that with a Wilson 1000 cut to 1.5:1 at 28.4mhz. It's kind of a crappy day so I'll take some fresh pics later but for now....here is one of the antennas (from the front window). This pic is when I had the Wilson Lil Wil mag mount (drivers side) and my SBB-5 on a 5" mag mount (passenger side). Now I've got a Wilson 1000 surface mounted and the SBB-5 on an SO-239 surface mount as well.

And here is the 7900...

I'm definitely not afraid of cutting. I actually drilled two holes on the front side of the console bucket to put the mounting screws through so that the RCI is locked into the front drivers corner of the console. The mic, antenna, PA, and power lines go out a hole in the bottom of the console bucket. I didn't mind doing this because there is a rubber mat in the bottom of the console that I can put back in at re-sale and nobody will have to deal with the holes. The mic then comes out of the bottom of the console on the drivers side and is mounted near my seatbelt clasp.

EDIT: I'm sure someone will ask about the switches....I did install them myself with a fuse block behind them. The fuse block is powered with a 10GA straight off the battery and in turn powers all the buttons which control: Valentine1 Radar Detector, Sirius Sportster 5, Yaesu FT-7900, RCI-2950, Garmin 265WT, Grill Mounted ditch spots, Forward and rear White/Amber Hazard strobes, Radioshack Pro-106, and two other items which don't need to be discussed. =) And no, I don't need them labeled. I guess when you do it yourself you just "know."

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Set up looks real nice. Now you got me curious about what the two switches do that you don't wanna discuss :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts