Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I live in Indiana I am curious how the Titan handles in the snow and ice, mainly with the stock BFG's that come with the off road package. How are they in mud and other types of terrain?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 07 nissan titan 5665 miles on it and all the pakages for it. including the rugged train 'bfg' tires you are talking about handles great off roading and what not no where i wasnt able to go. but i have already had 2 flats i recommend just getting some all terian tires aftermarket... some nittos bfg is having alot of side wall blow outs from what i understand.

·
Registered
48 Posts
2007 TITAN LE said:
Since I live in Indiana I am curious how the Titan handles in the snow and ice, mainly with the stock BFG's that come with the off road package. How are they in mud and other types of terrain?

I have 42k on my 2005 currently and I had the BFG Rugged Trails. They were done after 27k! I had no problems in the snow with them but I also had five 60lb bags of sand in the bed. These trucks are unstoppable with some weight in the back. Since I live in the Colorado Rockies and ski every week in the winter, I see plenty of nasty road conditions. The stock BFG's are a serviceable tire and I never had any problems in snow, or rocky areas.(not much mud out here or I would be in it!)
I currently am running Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ tires with some extra siping. Best all around tire I have ever had. I routinely have given people rides up Loveland Pass to ski the backcountry(12,000 ft) and when I need to turn around I have driven through some bumper deep snow without a problem.
Last winter in one of these turnarounds(they are not always plowed and the snow falls fast) I pulled out a BURIED Ford Super Duty. Had some onlookers doubting the Titan. Well I was able to pull him out on the first try. I used third gear in 4 high. Could have engaged the locker in low but just wanted to see what the Titan had in her. Even better he was the owner of the Dillon Dam Brewery and invited me down the pass for some free food and microbrews! :futwice:

·
Premium Member
75,752 Posts
i have a video i'll upload for you later...

as far as how the handle, i've never had an issue here in the NE, but we don't get as much snow as we used too... to give you an idea, here are some pics, didn't get suck at all, not even wheel spin:

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Never had an issue with my 2004 LE. I was always the one to cut a path on the roads in Chicago's suburbs since I usually went to work before the plows got started on the side roads. Simply put it into 4WD High and take it slow. You will get through most of the snow you find in your area.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I live on the side of a mountain up in the Columbia Gorge. On the main roads, it gets more icy than snowy. Generally for me, I'm dealing with powder a foot or so deep. With the stock rubber on the truck, you can keep it out of the ditch, but I bought a set of used 17" wheels from a Chevy and a set of new studded snows. The truck handles great in the snow.

Remember the trick - if you don't spin the treads clean, then just like when handling mud, they fill up with snow and you have zero traction.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Allright fine, if no one else is going to say, then I will.
The stock Ragged Trails S U C K!!!!!!
I live in OH, and drive in serious lake effect often, and while the truck is great, the tires are going to hurt you. Put some weight in the back, use 4wd, but really, just replace those stock tires as soon as you can.

·
Registered
48 Posts
grnTitan04 said:
Allright fine, if no one else is going to say, then I will.
The stock Ragged Trails S U C K!!!!!!
I live in OH, and drive in serious lake effect often, and while the truck is great, the tires are going to hurt you. Put some weight in the back, use 4wd, but really, just replace those stock tires as soon as you can.
Didn't want to depress the guy but you are right! I only got 27k out of those tires!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Goodyear Wranglers with silent armour kick a$$ for stock replacements. IMO, they are better then the classic BFG A/Ts.

·
Premium Member
75,752 Posts
technorev said:
Did I detect a hula girl on the dash?
you did! she unfortunately fell off and was replaced... actually i went offroad and she hula'd too much and snapped in half... she was replaced by a second hula girl which has fallen off again due to the summer heat... haven't replaced her yet because i've been enjoying the shelf!

27k out of the bfgs? looks like new tires in 7k

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
In the snow the stock tires were fine for me. Mud, on the other hand, was a different story.

They loaded up and wouldn't release.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
My Rugged Trails lasted only 26k or so. They were ok in the snow when new. I now have the Bridgestone REVOs and they shame the BFGs in every way...especially snow and wet weather.

·
Premium Member
75,752 Posts
mjbjhu said:
anyone use a shurtrax to get some weight over the rear end or is it unneessary with the 4x4?
i haven't had to use any additional bed weight for traction...

i usually get in my truck and head to my dad's so i can borrow his snow blower and do the rounds, it's a small john deere model that probably weights 20 pounds if that... 2 snow shovels and never an issue.

then again, i kinda like to fish tail

·
Registered
92 Posts
Stock tires have worked fine for me the last 3 years. Just add 200 pounds of sand (I use tubed) in the bed over the rear axle and you are good to go in 4WD High.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts