Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've alway put caps on my trucks, but I'm really considering putting a hard Tonneau on my Titan something like the ARE LSII series (they are offering hardware FREE for keyless entry with the LSII and dealer want $50 to install it). So the LSII would cost $729 + $50 installed at my dealer.

What are the things to consider before going with a hard tonneau instead of a cap? Those of you who have put hard tonneaus on you trucks are there any draw backs to them, were you sorry you didn't get a regular cap?

If you need to haul something big, how hard is it to take the tonneau off? Can you ride with the tonneau open if you drive at moderate speeds around town?

Any insights would be appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There are a number of choices out there. If you have the bed kit/option... keep in mind that the rails may interfere with a flush fit.
http://www.checkerpro.com/ has an interesting rigid tonneau.
It comes either ready to paint or sprayed with a rubberized bedliner type material. It's lightweight and can be put on or taken off by one person if needed. Takes less than 2 minutes to remove or put on.

·
Registered
473 Posts
A.R.E. designed cover does NOT interfear with the Utili Track system. There are 2 designs depending on your needs.

They are easy to remove all you have to do is take off the 4 clips and it comes right off. The ARE are the best ones I have seen made. They are the only ones I know of that have the power lock. I have checked the others I have check do not have as good a set of locks and hindges.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Doghouse said:
A.R.E. designed cover does NOT interfear with the Utili Track system. There are 2 designs depending on your needs.

They are easy to remove all you have to do is take off the 4 clips and it comes right off. The ARE are the best ones I have seen made. They are the only ones I know of that have the power lock. I have checked the others I have check do not have as good a set of locks and hindges.

Are there two versions? The one I saw at the SEMA show blocked the utili-track at the liftgate.

·
Registered
473 Posts
According to A.R.E. There has been a redesign, and there are no problems.

I will be going to the dealer soon, and talking to them about it. I do not know what you mean by "blocks", but i would not doubt that the Pistons used to assist in raising and lowereing the top may interfear with with using some bed items. This will be a problem with all of the hard tops though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Doghouse said:
According to A.R.E. There has been a redesign, and there are no problems.

I will be going to the dealer soon, and talking to them about it. I do not know what you mean by "blocks", but i would not doubt that the Pistons used to assist in raising and lowereing the top may interfear with with using some bed items. This will be a problem with all of the hard tops though.

The clips that held it to the bed. It looked very nice though, and I saw the Leer Cap as well, which looked very sharp.

·
Registered
356 Posts
wny-titan said:
There are a number of choices out there. If you have the bed kit/option... keep in mind that the rails may interfere with a flush fit.
http://www.checkerpro.com/ has an interesting rigid tonneau.
It comes either ready to paint or sprayed with a rubberized bedliner type material. It's lightweight and can be put on or taken off by one person if needed. Takes less than 2 minutes to remove or put on.
I have had the Checker Pro Fx on my last four trucks. I love them, they only weigh about 60 pounds, and with the quick release hinges, it takes me about five minutes by myself to take it off or put it on. Other than me scratching the edges up, they have all held up well. They are only $349.00 which is half what the painted other ones are. They come gloss black or gloss white. I have been considering having mine sprayed with bed liner if I ever do my Bed. I use a piece of marine carpet to keep things from getting beat up too bad. With the concealed locks, it makes a 6.65 by 5 foot trunk. Perfect for tools, camping equipment, etc.

·
Registered
182 Posts
kennyo said:
I've alway put caps on my trucks, but I'm really considering putting a hard Tonneau on my Titan something like the ARE LSII series (they are offering hardware FREE for keyless entry with the LSII and dealer want $50 to install it). So the LSII would cost $729 + $50 installed at my dealer.

What are the things to consider before going with a hard tonneau instead of a cap? Those of you who have put hard tonneaus on you trucks are there any draw backs to them, were you sorry you didn't get a regular cap?

If you need to haul something big, how hard is it to take the tonneau off? Can you ride with the tonneau open if you drive at moderate speeds around town?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Hello Kennyo:

Maybe our member dickyn can advise you on the A.R.E. Top, I think he already has one on his Titan. If not, I'll be glad to share with you my experience as soon as I take delivery. I have an LSII Series on order and it should be here any day.

NITEBLITZ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts