Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help with hard wiring my gps inside my truck. I want to have a override switch so that I can manually turn the GPS off when I don't want it to be on while im driving. Not sure if I can just run the switch inline (+ or - side?) or if I have to use some sort of relay. I don't have the GPS in yet, but from what I have read it looks like the GPS runs off a lower voltage...is this correct? If so I assume I have to keep the male adapter it comes with and use an aftermarket cig lighter to wire into my truck's harness behind the dash.

Also I will use the passenger side plug because it is switched, but will I still be able to use the plug for things like phone/ipod charger? How much is too much.

I made this little diagram real quick...am I correct? or even close? Definitely not a electrical expert.

Thanks,
Sean

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
You can tap the lighter circuit in the fuse panel on the passenger side dash with a littlefuse mini-blade add-a-circuit and then run that wire to the switch and then to your GPS (or the power adapter for the GPS if they don't run on 12 volts DC). The lighter socket circuit is fused at 15 amps, I don't think the NAV units would come anywhere near that. No relay required.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help. So the mini blade add-a-circuit is a better route than tapping into the wires right by the lighter socket?

Sean

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I hard wired my Garmin in my 08 by adding a socket behind the dash for the gps power plug. The Garmin only ran off like 4.5 volts or so. I spliced into the wires going to the passenger side outlet and then cut the garmin wire, ran it through a hole in the dash then re-connected it to itself underneath. It would come on and off with the ignition and I could also turn it off via the switch on the unit and just let it charge if I wanted to use it in another vehicle. There is a thread on here somewhere showing it all. I'll see if I can find it.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
There's a couple of links to what I am talking about in here as well as some other info and pics:

GPS

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help. I will have to run a seperate switch somewhere because I am installing the GPS in a factory nav bezel. I won't be able to get to the power or reset, so I want an external switch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts