Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has thought about doing or done this.

Would it work??

IRS = Independent Rear Suspension. (For those who didn't know.)

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I don't know what it would take,but I've never heard of an Armada rear axle going bad.Interesting question

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
I posted a thread awhile back posing the question as to whether the Armada's were having the same problems with the rear diff's that we are. If memory serves, the answer was a resounding NO. It was also explained that the Armada rear diff is basically the same thing as what is in the 350Z and that the internals are quite different from what is in our trucks.

As to whether anyone has swapped an IRS setup onto a Titan, not that I'm aware of. Is it possible? Sure, anything is possible if you have the dough!!!

·
Registered
6,056 Posts

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Its a full size truck, putting an IRS on it would turn it into a V8 Ridgeline.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
kartman said:
why would you want to?
Why not? What are the drawbacks other than cost and time of labor? I would think the truck would ride better.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
weaker, less load capacity and lots of expensive custom fabwork for virtually no gain.

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kartman said:
weaker, less load capacity and lots of expensive custom fabwork for virtually no gain.
For those who don't off-road.......

and the rest could be argued.

Armada's weigh more, and if you put the right coil overs on it....

both on the same frame, how much fab would you need??

I think it's a worth a look.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Alot of the axle problems were that the housings weren't straight. So with IRS, no housing to have a problem with.
For towing capacity, offroad strength, and ease of modification and maintenance, leafs and live axle are the way to go.
That being said, the Armada IRS should ride and handle awesome on the street.
The back of the frames are most likely different for floor height verses bed height and suspension mountings. But the outcome could be rewarding.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I remember the previous thread, but if someone could explain the "weaker" or "less towing" comments I'd appreciate it. The Armada has nearly the same towing capacity (9100 vs 9500) for similar packages, air bags to level out the rig, and rides far better than my Titan did while towing our 8k+ boat. I don't think I'd use the Armada as a "work truck" but for recreational towing, I'd think the IRS swap might be interesting.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
BigA said:
Its a full size truck, putting an IRS on it would turn it into a V8 Ridgeline.
I was thinking the exact same thing.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I believe the frames are the same and heard someone say it was actually all bolt on, no heavy fabrication required.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I may have to start searching the junkyards!!!!! I am getting ready to lower my truck, looking to handle in the corners better. Some people are into straight line racing, I'm into road courses (went to the USGP F1 race @ Indy in June). Now, I know what some will say, "If you want cornering, should have bought a 350z". For some reason, I think it's cool to drive a 5300lbs. truck that will corner like it's on rails. Guess I'm just weird, huh?!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Doing the suspension swap should net some interesting results. I intend to lower my truck, but was wondering if there were any alternatives to the leaf springs. At one point I was thinking of useing a 4-link setup, but if the irs system from the Armada can be used then that would be awesome.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm right there w/ u, TheBoondockTitan. Want to lower mine also, and handle better. Now, just have to find an '04-'06 Armada @ a junkyard, that was in frontal collision only.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts