Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know cnallick(sp) did it on his cummins swapped truck but I was wondering if anyone has done it with the stock engine and trans still in place. I would probably just use a stock transfer case and use 60's. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
Good luck man. I fought the good fight for 4 years waiting for one. No one wanted to help with the ABS issues. So I gave up and traded it in for what's in my sig...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would love a Power Wagon but can't afford one, lol.

What is the main issue with the abs? Sensors and ****?

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
From what the magazines and Toby @ Lavendar Brothers (the builders of the XXX traction "Mega" titan) have told me, the OEM BCM goes into a fit (safe mode) when there aren't signals from the ABS (tone rings) and puts the truck into a limp mode. You can't go over 30 MPH.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would it matter that the truck is starting out as a 2wd.

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
Currie has come out with a replacement rear end, but they told me in person that there is 0% chance of them making a steering axle. You will have to do the trial and error to make it work. It does not matter if you start out as a 2WD either. Both 4WD and 2WD use tone rings on the unit bearings for ABS. I did speak with Dynatrac and they told me that they would be willing to build one, but only if I was willing to pay for the R&D, forgings, and the completed front steering axle out of my pocket. We estimated it to be around $30K once everything was all said and done.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Cnallick did the swap with the stock engine and trans. Then he did the diesel swap later. So it can be done. Using leafs instead of coilovers would keep the cost done. Cnallick said if you use leafs the cost would be around $4-$5grand. As for the tone rings, cnallick milled out the dodge spindles to fit the Nissan hubs.

I'm currently running prg's mid travel kit and was thinking about doing a sas if front gears never came out. Still might do it, if I don't get a diesel.

·
Registered
501 Posts
It costed me $4-$5 grand for my mid travel kit and that's with everything being bolt on and free labor... Front axles aren't cheap...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I live in redneck central so I can get axles all day pretty cheap. I can weld, I don't really want leafs, probably just links. Its just a thought as of right now, I don't want to tear up my dd with nothing else to drive. I need to get a beater, I would like to keep it low on like 37s.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
rtc1184 did an axle swap... "Tone Rings" are the catcher from the threads that I read through.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I got both of my axles out of an 06 superduty for 181 bucks out of a pick n pull. Complete. pretty cheap if you ask me. I bet to get your speedo back you can just mount the wheel speed sensors on the stock single ford tone ring in the sterling axle then mount your front sensors in the stock ford unit bearings. The titan uses 54ish teeth and I think ford uses 60 teeth, so if you're going up in tire sizes you're speedo wont be as far off but still off. The sterling rear axle has its tone wheel mounted between the differential and ring gear but is 10.5ish inches in diameter where as the titan has its tone ring mounted on the end of the axle and is a lot smaller but with the tone wheel mounted at the ring gear and it being about twice as large as the titan tone wheel mounted at the wheel you'd think it would only spin half as fast, but it has twice as many teeth (120) i believe. Im still trying to do the research though.

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
cnallick did along time ago. also rtc1184 got that rear from cnallick.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
sas isnt hard gentlemen. to leaf spring it, would run you maybe 2-3k. all you have to do if you dont want to mill it out and use the tone rings, is wire your front abs sensors to the rear ones so it sends the bcm signal. if no one has bought my titan by the first of the year she is getting completely tore down. sas and a cummins 4bt and 46's.

yes i got my rear dana 60 from chris. you could also get a dana 60 from wfo with tone rings in it. just like the rearend.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Not even that, im pretty sure I just confirmed my theory. With the Axles I have, the front ford abs sensor is the exact same size shape length and diameter as the nissan one, it bolts right into the ford unit bearing, only difference is it'll send 6 more "bleeps" for every one rotation which isnt really a bad thing if you're running slightly bigger tires, but to compensate for 38" tires I caculated that you would need a tone ring with 81 teeth on it to read stock. But I could be totally wrong! anyways if you mount the nissan abs sensor in the ford unit bearing up front you should be okay, then if you can mount both of your rear sensors to read the 120tooth tone ring off the ring gear it should all work and the abs computer will think its reading 60 "bleeps" per rotation off the back since the rear tone wheel is twice as big with twice as many teeth. Make any sense? I dont even know if it makes sense to me lol. One thing I need to figure out is if the ford rear abs sensor puts out the same voltage and signal as the nissan one, if that can be done and if you can split the signal and wire it to both rear abs sensor harnesses then you could in theory just use the ford abs sensor mounted on the diff housing and not have to fabricate some bracket inside the diff housing to house the 2 nissan abs sensors.

Corrects are welcome please.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is what I needed to hear. Rtc, what leafs would you run? I'm really starting to think this is what I want to do. What would you think would be the best option for a transfer case?

·
Registered
501 Posts
04black, that's a sweet deal on some axles. Yeah, if can do all the fab then the cost drop dramatically. Keep us updated... What about i-beams? You could pull some sick travel.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts