Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What i dont get is why they have the new tundra in the halfton class with the titans and these other trucks when its able to tow much more,has alot more power like they say and with it being so fast and being really good at other things with its breaks and what not,they brag so much about it with he being so much better than all the other half ton trucks.why dont they put it 3/4 ton class or somethin if its as good as they keep saying it is and with the way they keep bragging about it so much?? Anyone else ever thought about this?I have nothing about people who own them because there nice trucks in all but the advertising and what not has a crapload of braging.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
I understand what you're getting at, but I'd have to see a side by side chart of capabilities, with the GMC 2500 and 2500HD, F-250 and Dodge RAM 2500 to see what the real truth is. I haven't seen the "rest of the story".

Our 1997 GMC 2500s (non HD) have a 8,900 GVW and a 5,040 Tare Weight. Giving you a 3,860 Payload.

·
Super Moderator
162,269 Posts
TitanBlue said:
I understand what you're getting at, but I'd have to see a side by side chart of capabilities, with the GMC 2500 and 2500HD, F-250 and Dodge RAM 2500 to see what the real truth is. I haven't seen the "rest of the story".

Our 1997 GMC 2500s (non HD) have a 8,900 GVW and a 5,040 Tare Weight. Giving you a 3,860 Payload.
Thats' the whole reason right there.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Before my titan I had an f-250 5.4 gas.3/4 ton class i think it was. didnt tow much more than the new tundra.also it was slow and I started having problems at 75k miles.4x4 stopped working, short in a dome light,when i turned it in it blew a fuse,started shifting wierd,when i held the on button and pressed cruise it honked the horn haha

·
Super Moderator
162,269 Posts
Dom249 said:
Before my titan I had an f-250 5.4 gas.3/4 ton class i think it was. didnt tow much more than the new tundra.also it was slow and I started having problems at 75k miles.4x4 stopped working, short in a dome light,when i turned it in it blew a fuse,started shifting wierd,when i held the on button and pressed cruise it honked the horn haha
The ratings have more to do with what the truck can carry on it's back (payload) than with what the truck is able to tow.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
The Tundra is a HD 1/2 ton truck, but when you take a look at many of the "real" 3/4 ton trucks...Yeah you get the point.
BUT....the 1/2 ton truck market is evolving, the Titan helped push the 1/2 ton market higher, the Chevy and Ford have 1/2 ton trucks today that push the spec's close to what a 3/4 ton was just 10-12 years ago, and the Tundra is just the latest example...

·
Registered
158 Posts
The pickup market has definitely evolved. I have a 72 Chevy that is the Custom 20, which is equivalent to a 3/4 ton truck at the time. I've loaded it a couple of times and I'd say it will carry no more than the titan.

Trucks have gotten more capable over time. I believe, originally a 1/2 ton truck meant 1/2 ton payload (1000 lbs) and a 3/4 ( 1500 lbs). If you go by that rating, then most full size pick ups would be considered 3/4 ton now. At this point it all comes down to marketing and labeling.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just shows that competition is good. The companies keep pushing each other. Be tthe Tundra will cause Nissan to really up the ante on a re-designed Titan.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Technically, all these "1/2 ton" trucks are 3/4 tons of yesterday. As Carbeaux said, it's about what they can carry on their backs, not what they can tow. And they can all carry over 1500 LBS (3/4 ton). The Tundra is a great truck, however....if they put it into the 3/4 ton class, it doesn't look as good compared to other 3/4 ton trucks. I don't even think there is a 1/4 ton class anymore...and even those considered 1/4 tons are really 1/2 tons because of their carrying abilities.
As for towing, wheelbase/brakes has something to do with it but give it enough power and it'll pull damn near anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts