Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of people are saying they are not serviceable, but I thought I saw something a while back where they could be replaced without replacing the entire A-arm (unfortunately, can't find it searching now).

Has anyone pressed out and pressed in new ball joints in the stock LCA?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I see a lot of people are saying they are not serviceable, but I thought I saw something a while back where they could be replaced without replacing the entire A-arm (unfortunately, can't find it searching now).

Has anyone pressed out and pressed in new ball joints in the stock LCA?
PRG sells those...the LCA bushings can be upgraded to PRG's but you cannot replace the LCA ball joint. i'm in the same boat. my ball joints i'm guessing took a crap as i have clangs and what not but could not find where they sell just the ball joints. with much research you have to replace the whole LCA assembly which comes with new ball joints and bushings.

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
i'm pretty sure you can replace the ball joints. but new arms are so cheap and they come with new ball joints and bushings. much easier.

example: I pulled my coilover, tie rod end, CV axle, and LCA, installed stock shock, stock LCA and stock tie rod, reinstalled CV all in an hour and a half. lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes, you can replace them the lower ball joints and no, it's not hard. I to was told the entire LCA was not serviceable but I figured how could they sell the parts if you couldn't replace them? I did mine when I rebuilt my entire front end last month. The problem with the "new LCAs are so cheap...." scenario is that you get the same crappy bushings and ball joints (or worse) that the truck came with to begin with. The stock LCA bushing is not only rubber but a poor design as well. I replaced my LCA bushings with the PRG delrin bushings and installed Moog problem solver ball joints (upper and lower). Far better than new and not that much more money than stock parts.

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
nbhunter has a write up.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Guess it would be easier for me to replace the whole LCA since my bolts are seized or else I would attempt to just replace the ball joints

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
Guess it would be easier for me to replace the whole LCA since my bolts are seized or else I would attempt to just replace the ball joints
you might be able to get the ball joints off without removing the LCA from the truck. Disconnect shock, and tie rod end, take out the bolt that holds the ball joint to the spindle on the LCA, pry bar and pry the spindle off the LCA. Then take the snap ring or circlip off the ball joint and start destroying it with a hammer???? or take the clip off the ball joint, put it all back together and go jump the truck, the ball joint will come out nicely.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Then take the snap ring or circlip off the ball joint and start destroying it with a hammer???? or take the clip off the ball joint, put it all back together and go jump the truck, the ball joint will come out nicely.
I vote option 2. Take a GoPro and record it for science.

Reactions: honda250xtitan

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
lmao "for science"

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
i'm pretty sure you can replace the ball joints. but new arms are so cheap and they come with new ball joints and bushings. much easier.

example: I pulled my coilover, tie rod end, CV axle, and LCA, installed stock shock, stock LCA and stock tie rod, reinstalled CV all in an hour and a half. lol
Where are people buying control arms and other pieces?

I need to do a complete replacement of my front end suspension (2004 with 200k miles and a weird woowoowoo noise when I turn at 30mph+) so I'm planning to replace all 4 control arms, the half shafts, the unit bearings, the shocks, and maybe the coils. I prefer to buy OEM parts from Nissan (abcnissan usually) but the control arms look like they are over $500 each.

I'm planning a trip to Ouray to run trails in a few months and I need to get the Titan in shape for it. It's all stock - don't need or want to lift it. I have a fully modified Xterra (SAS, 35" mud tires, dual lockers etc) but I can't stomach the thought of driving it from Texas to Colorado again... so I'm just going to take the Titan and skip the harder/tighter trails up there this time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts