Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have flipped my utilitrac in anticipation of a bakflip tonneau cover arriving. there were two torx i stripped. i tried cutting a slot in them as suggested on here and turning it with a screwdriver. i put channel locks on the biggest screwdriver i had and used a cheater bar. craftsman screwdriver broke. these bolts are no joke in there. i proceeded to grind off the head and tried an easy out. it broke off in the bolt. i am thinking about just drilling out the bolt and using the helicoil kit. i have never heard of it before. found it looking for a solution. i believe i have it sized at 8m x 1.25. let me know if i have the wrong size. has anyone used this helicoil? is it a big job? am i going about this the right way. i am out of ideas and running low on beer. thanks for helping me in this time of crisis.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Installing helicoil is not that hard. The installation tools can be expensive though, almost every machine shop has the helicoils and tools to install so maybe prep(drill &tap) the hole and then see if they will install it for you. Just a typical tapped hole, make sure the drill is straight when you drill it etc. I am unfamiliar with the uni-track part you are talking about but is there enough thickness to tap?

·
Registered
87 Posts
the helicoils i have used require you drill and tap the hole for a size larger, then the helicoil screws into the new hole and thread giving you the old hold and thread on the inside of the helicoil

i have used this many time and is great in a pinch like this, otherwise your stuck with someone welding the hole shut and drilling and tapping a new hole and hoping it holds

·
Registered
364 Posts
crewcabLEinsc said:
i have flipped my utilitrac in anticipation of a bakflip tonneau cover arriving. there were two torx i stripped. i tried cutting a slot in them as suggested on here and turning it with a screwdriver. i put channel locks on the biggest screwdriver i had and used a cheater bar. craftsman screwdriver broke. these bolts are no joke in there. i proceeded to grind off the head and tried an easy out. it broke off in the bolt. i am thinking about just drilling out the bolt and using the helicoil kit. i have never heard of it before. found it looking for a solution. i believe i have it sized at 8m x 1.25. let me know if i have the wrong size. has anyone used this helicoil? is it a big job? am i going about this the right way. i am out of ideas and running low on beer. thanks for helping me in this time of crisis.
Easy outs always break. :) Good advice above.

You could also just drill and tap for the next larger size. Of course, then you have to drill the utilitrac. Make sure there is enough room for a bigger bolt head and wrench. Socket heads need less clearance than hex heads.

The helicoil inserts are a good solution. They are used a lot in industry. Whether you use a bigger bolt or a helicoil, you need enough material in the piece that you are tapping to hold the bigger fastener. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
76,460 Posts
i blew a plug on my 88 beretta gt and had to helicoil the hole. it was on the firewall side and a huge pain in the ***, but it held for at least another 25k before i traded that Pile in. I have to admit the car had 175k when I bought it for 200 bucks, drove it to college for 2 years and sold it for a grand. Sweet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts