Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i Pusrchased my 2005 titan se big tow used from a dealership. it has atermarket rims, tires & runningboards. looks like somone did a little customization. what i am trying to find out is if there is any way of telling if the somone has powertuned the computer. it has ridiculous power and it does not seem to have the WOT restriction ( i can burn the tires to the ground). is there anyway of telling if someone has reprogramed my truck? oh yea also the truck only gets about 14mpg. i would think if somone has tuned it i can de tune it and save a dollar or two on gas

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
If its has tons of power and getting 14mpg's I certainly would not touch a thing.

Reactions: MRS.WIKEDVK

·
Super Moderator
160,774 Posts
Agreed on the above. Lots of us (me included) wish we could get 14mpg. :lol: My truck on a BDPP low octane tune is down around 10 or 11 now. :dunno:

Only way I can think of to tell if it's been left with a tune that I know of is to have a Consult hooked to it. A dealer thing.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Understood. All T owners are looking to squeeze some xtra MPG's, myself included. Unfortunately your MPG's are a "GOOD" average. My 2010 is seeing 10.8. The T is a big, heavy truck with a thirsty V8. I am on my second titan so poor gas mileage comes as no surprise to me, I love all the positives the truck has to offer.IMPO everything in life is a trade off, thus with the T its fuel mileage. I respect anyone with a long commute trying to fuel such a thirsty beast. Sorry to say there is no magical snake oil to improve MPG's... CAI'S, CB systems, Programmers, synthetic oils etc. certainly help squeeze some xtra HP and TQ but not much in value for MPG'S. Best advice, keep the tires properly inflated, clean air filter,tuned up,oil changes and drive the T as if there is a tack under your right foot. Good luck!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I wonder if there is an altitude variable that plays into the MPG formula. I average 15.5. YES average. I have had the T for 2 years and reset the factory fuel econ counter every 6 months or so. It always averages out to 15.5. I have installed a BDPP and after the initial 12.0 MPG mark, (from a heavy foot) i am still getting 15.2 - 15.7. I changed the plugs and chuckled when i reset it cause for the first day it was reading 20.3. That didnt last long. back to 15.5 AVERAGE. I have checked it with the BBGT and they are within .5 MPG, so i must be driving right. I have WOT removed, 2* Timing, Throttle sens to performance, and the 87 tune. my elevation here is 1290 ft ASL

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I think the biggest factor is ethanol gas. Depending on the %, it sucks the fuel mileage down drastically. My 2005 T faired much better with MPG's than my current "new and improved" 2010.:bangit:

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
I'm on my fourth titan and getting 15mpg with rims/tires, intake and exhaust... this is the best mpg of the four of them! But hoping to go back to stock rims/tires and get at least 16 mpg or so! (I feel your pain, I'm 50 miles from the closest grocery store, mall, ect)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I average 10.5 miles/gallon on my 2005 4X4. If you are averaging 14 miles/gal and your truck has a lot of power then consider yourself lucky. I do not even get 14 miles per gallon on the highway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts