Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08' titan crew cab short bed, and I have to haul my harley from southern california to mid missouri about 1500 mile haul. well I will have to have the rear wheel on the tailgate and i was just wondering if my tailgate can handle that much weight for a 2day drive? are there any aftermarket heavy duty tailgate cables that I can buy?
here is a pic of my titan

heres a pic of my harley

I really would appreciate any input.

·
Registered
51 Posts
HXC, you should be good depending on how much of the bike is actually in the bed. This is exactly why I got a KC for the extra bed length and with the extender it really gives extra storage room when a bike is loaded.
I have a wheel chock in my bed and with a B/T loaded there isn't much weight on the gate. The real wheel doesn't weigh so much anyway, but I'm not sure what the gate is rated for. I would definitely get a locking chock and strap the bike front and back just for piece of mind.
You can always "test" load it first and maybe load it on a 2x6 into the bed to distribute the weight off the gate onto the bed, but make sure the board cannot move around in the bed.
I am also not a fan of angle loading bikes so I like them straight in but if you angle the bike you may keep more weight off the gate that way too.
Or you can just ride the scoot!
good luck with it...Tim

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I would run the bike sideways to keep as much off the T-gate as possible and maybe run. The other idea suggested about running the bike in the middle but on top of say a 2x4 is pretty good advice also...

·
Registered
763 Posts

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
You can always rent a trailer, I bought one for that purpose with mine, it is an open one, but that is gonna change soon also and get an enclosed one so that no one sees it and gets itchy. I sure wouldn't want to wrestle mine in and out of a truck bed, rather drive it up the tailgate on the trailer.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Lay down a 2x12 that's long enough for the front and rear wheel to sit on. That should take 90% of the weight off the tailgate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks alot guys for the input, i talked to a couple guys at the nissan dealer and they said it should be just fine. if you figure it out my harley weighs in around 700lbs and the bike has 50/50 weight distribution, so technically the tailgate is only going to have around 350lbs on the tailgate with the rear wheel. i am a big guy and i weigh around 300lbs and i sit on my tailgate alot at tailgate partys and I also have 1-2 friends on the tailgate with me and never had a problem. so i think it should be fine, its not near as weak as the chevy s10 or blazer tailgates which i have seen them break before but there not near as strong as the titans. unless someone here has actually personally bent there tailgate with one bike in it then ill consider wood idea.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
also I would use a bike trailer if i wasn't already towing a car trailer with a car on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts