Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK guys i have a 2004 titan cc Le i had 24 inch rims on it and after a while it started using alot of gas so i put stock 18's on it because i sold my wheels to get stuff for my future lift.. And i noticed it still wastes alot of gas, so my problem wasn't the big wheels .. What else COULD IT BE. I put new plugs, did the oil change AND cleaned my filter (k&n) now what? I use 87 octane does that make a huge difference. It also feels a bit sluggish... Any recommendations.

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
how many mpg's are you getting rite now....

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seriously im not sure but it guzzles the dam gas... Im going to pay more attention to the mpg's... It says in the screen 14 mpg average but thats bull...

·
Premium Member
58,568 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Check the usual suspects:

1. Tire inflation
2. Driving habits; city gets worse MPG of course and your ecu learns your driving pattern.
3. Driving above 45 mph with the windows rolled down causes more wind resistence.
4 Are you burning oil; were your plugs dirty?

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
OK guys i have a 2004 titan cc Le i had 24 inch rims on it and after a while it started using alot of gas so i put stock 18's on it because i sold my wheels to get stuff for my future lift.. And i noticed it still wastes alot of gas, so my problem wasn't the big wheels .. What else COULD IT BE. I put new plugs, did the oil change AND cleaned my filter (k&n) now what? I use 87 octane does that make a huge difference. It also feels a bit sluggish... Any recommendations.

I had the same problem.....got the exhaust manifolds and the differential replaced at the stealership and my truck feels a lot faster and my gas last longer.. I can feel a day to night difference.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
I was once in your shoes. I averaged 11mpg..reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery over night, now I average about 18mpg.

·
Premium Member
58,568 Posts
I call BS on the ecu reset giving a better than 60% increase in mileage. If that really worked every damn one of us would be doing it and the instructions (which are here http://www.titantalk.com/forums/316023-post1.html by the way) would be the most viewed post on TT.

·
Registered
800 Posts
could be bad gas, ETHANOL in the gas might be your problem, but I would bet heavy foot is 1/2 the problem and if your mostly city driving "stop and go" < fill up a tank and go for a long, long drive on the interstate and see what your getting MPG

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
could be bad gas, ETHANOL in the gas might be your problem, but I would bet heavy foot is 1/2 the problem and if your mostly city driving "stop and go" < fill up a tank and go for a long, long drive on the interstate and see what your getting MPG
Ethanol mixed gas I believe would take about 1-2 mpg's off city driving IMO.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm sorta in the same boat. Truck feels more sluggish, I don't drive it near as hard as I used to and still my city has gone from around 13-14 to 11 mpg. Recently had both the front and rear diffs changed for other reasons and also changed the T-case fluid. No difference. only have 27K miles. I did get heavier tires a while back but that really didn't change much.

Guess I need to look at the manifolds. Would a dirty maf sensor cause this? Never had a CEL for anything:dunno:

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
I call BS on the ecu reset giving a better than 60% increase in mileage. If that really worked every damn one of us would be doing it and the instructions (which are here http://www.titantalk.com/forums/316023-post1.html by the way) would be the most viewed post on TT.
You can call as much BS as you want. But facts are facts. Who knows, maybe I just had a sensor out of whack? Reseting the system put it back in place and bumped my MPG. I'm not exactly sure how a ECU reset 'fixed' my problem but it did. I sunk down to between 9-11mpg city/highway and now I'm pushing 18 with I want to say 75% highway. Replacing the alternator bumped it to about 14mpg, one night reset the ECU by disco the battery, and like I said, I'm around the 18 mark.

Either way, it's worth a shot. Seriously, how hard is it to disconnect the battery before you go to bed, then reconnect it before you leave for work the next day?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Without actually knowing your MPG's, it's hard to complain. I just bought an 06 CC XE two weeks ago, I have gotten 17mpg on both fill ups. It does suck gas, especially when you own an 07 Civic that gets almost 40 MPG. The difference is riding in a cracker box and owning the road. I bet you're getting better MPG than you think.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you can call as much bs as you want. But facts are facts. Who knows, maybe i just had a sensor out of whack? Reseting the system put it back in place and bumped my mpg. I'm not exactly sure how a ecu reset 'fixed' my problem but it did. I sunk down to between 9-11mpg city/highway and now i'm pushing 18 with i want to say 75% highway. Replacing the alternator bumped it to about 14mpg, one night reset the ecu by disco the battery, and like i said, i'm around the 18 mark.

Either way, it's worth a shot. Seriously, how hard is it to disconnect the battery before you go to bed, then reconnect it before you leave for work the next day?
how much time should i disconnect the battery?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts