Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is that if I put long tube headers on my 06 titan with flex fuel how do you know which ones can get away without uprev I've been reading that most flex fuel models dont need the uprev tune was looking into spending $500-$600 for the headers and stuff but then seeing all this other stuff you need from cajun b pipes or whatever and they're prices are 1,300-1,500 if it's going to be that much I'm not going to even bother

·
Registered
25 Posts
You aren’t gonna like this.

While you can get away with not tuning your truck, it’s gonna run super rich and get crap fuel economy. You don’t want worse mpgs than stock. Buy the headers, catless b-pipes, and uprev. It’s expensive, sure, but you won’t regret it. Your truck will feel better than new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
It won't run rich. It will run lean. The question is, how lean? And there is no way to tell before you swap to headers whether or not it will run lean or be able to stay in spec. It depends on your motor's flow characteristics and how it flows with the headers. Every motor is different. You don't have to have the new b-pipes, but they are nicely made and open up performance over the stock b-pipes, plus putting your cat back between the O2 sensors. Without the new b-pipes, you'll likely have a check engine light for the missing cats, as your O2 sensors won't read the differential across the cat, and thus throw an error.

At the end of the day, only way to know you need UpRev or not is to install the headers and see what your AFRs are.

·
Vendor
1,945 Posts
It won't run rich. It will run lean.
FLEX fuel trucks typically run very rich with headers and no tune, NON FLEX trucks run very lean.

If you're going full catless with a flex fuel truck you don't necessarily "need" a tune, but it will run very rich (too much fuel), causing worse fuel economy, a constant check engine light, and a fraction of the performance gains you could see with a proper tune.

If you're wanting catted B pipes to keep the CEL off the rich condition will cause them to fail prematurely

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Wow. That seems crazy that flex trucks run rich with better breathing. I figured they worked like pretty much every other motor on which I've ever installed headers, and the better exhaust flow leaned them out. Learn something new every day. Thanks for educating me on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My question is that if I put long tube headers on my 06 titan with flex fuel how do you know which ones can get away without uprev I've been reading that most flex fuel models dont need the uprev tune was looking into spending $500-$600 for the headers and stuff but then seeing all this other stuff you need from cajun b pipes or whatever and they're prices are 1,300-1,500 if it's going to be that much I'm not going to even bother
I have an 06 flex 2wd with the long tubes and the rest is stock exhaust. it runs rich. I get about 14-14.5mpg. I hit over 15 once before the headers, so mpg didn’t change much. I’m running the “not recommended here” bully dog GT tuner, regular tune and I picked up power. Found it on a deal because like you I didn’t want to be in 1200+ because my cats went bad. From my limited experience, with the same setup as you, you’re good to go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got a 08 flex 2wd with JBA headers, Banks ram air CAI and Monster exhaust. I am also running the BDGT at stock tune and my AFR stays within the desired range. im sure i can gain some more with a proper tune but for the money this setup is satisfying. you do have to trick the ecu with stock bpipes due to the placement of the cats but so far my setup is working without the custom tune. (fingers crossed... i do still have miles to log before i can be certain).

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
If you have a BDGT with the stock tune, you may be tuned aside from the BDGT. Not sure how you'd figure that out, though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts