Nissan Titan Forum banner

Headers on Motor Mount

12K views 40 replies 18 participants last post by  Bremer 
#1 ·
So... I've been chasing a squeak in my engine bay for about 6 months now. Needless to say after trying all the normal things, I saw honda mention headers contacting the motor mount. Well every single time I remembered to check I was in the truck. Finally checked this morning and yep, found the squeak (picture).

Am I ok just tightening these suckers back up and hoping they stay? I assume what happened once will happen again. Headers were on the truck probably 6-7 months before the squeak started.

Should I pull the mounts and grind them down? I didn't look at the passenger side since the noise was coming from the driver, but I will definitely check them to make sure.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
What I did is put a washer - or two - between the motor mount and the engine. That was enough to get the header to clear the motor mount.

You might want to raise the engine up. That may reposition the engine better on the motor mount. Loosening the nuts/bolts on the frame side of the motor mount might make that work better.

#15 ·
This is NOT standard procedure for JBA Long Tube headers. When JBA did the R&D on the product it was on a low mileage NEW truck so the motor is sitting up correctly in the engine bay. Most of the guys having an issue have many miles on their trucks and the motor is sagging from worn motor mounts.

Just some information for all.

#8 ·
Now you guys have me paranoid.

I haven't heard or felt anything off, but I'm going to have to take a look tomorrow.

#9 ·
Yes the header was contacting when the mount was tight to the motor. The passenger side is fine, just the driver.

On the other hand don't be like me. If you're raising the engine make sure to have both sides loose. Towing it to the dealer tomorrow because stupid me got impatient and just had the driver side loose. I now have a 3 inch hole in my oil pan from my jack. If they have to take the engine out to replace the pan I'm going to see if they'll grind the mount down.

I swear I'm the worst thing that's happened to this truck...

Reactions: honda250xtitan
#12 ·
Oil pan's only $160, hoping labor isn't going to kill me. I had about 20 minutes of freaking out, cussing, throwing shyte around the driveway until I called Nissan and talked to them.

Yeah I should have put a piece of wood in there, I actually have a 2x4 piece cut for it. Just forgot/was impatient/lazy. Let's just say it's not the dumbest thing I've ever done though...

#13 ·
I think I put my jack on the crankshaft pulley. I could be wrong, it's been a while and I'm trying to forget the pain.

#14 ·
$2,250 out the door. FML... At least they're going to work on my motor mount at the same time and make sure the header isn't touching it.

#16 ·
:eek_surprise:

#19 ·
Yeah I'm not blaming JBA by any means. I knew it happened on 4x4's since space is tight. Passenger side had plenty of clearance, driver side was rubbing.

#21 ·
Anybody know the size/thread of the bolts that are used on engine side of the motor mounts?

#22 ·
I know you're accomplished finding parts but the best I could do was find the #: 11510A

#23 · (Edited)
I don't want to buy a part from Nissan. At least not something as common as a bolt. It's not like they make their own. I want to go to my local Ace Hardware and buy the same bolt for less than half what Nissan charges. The last thing I want to do is pull one out just to get the type. I'll have a heck of a time getting it back in.

#24 ·
Actually this problem is rare and I hardly ever have anyone complain but it has happened a few times. If you keep a eye on the clearance at install a little flap disk on a grinder will fix the issue quick and very easy while your under the truck. I feel it's the motor mount or variances in the trucks.

#25 ·
I agree, I seem to be one of the minority. Just like I'm one of the minority with my AirAid reducing my MPG's.

Got my truck back today, Nissan ground down the mount so there's no contact. Found out one of the bolts had been cross threaded when we installed the headers. Blaming it on my brother as he was the one tightening the mounts back down. They re-drilled and tapped the block so the bolt is back in correctly.

Best of all, NO MORE SQUEAKS.

Reactions: QShip and CVTitan05
#27 ·
ALWAYS place a 2x4 under a oil pan when jacking on the motor and never just force it. This is not a problem but does occur from time to time. Guys need to pay attention at install. Sorry for your issues and the oil pan. Ouch!

#28 ·
I just took my truck to a shop yesterday cause the drivers side header was contacting motor mount, this is a new 2015 Titan, so no motor sagging. They actually just called me to tell me its done, $560 bux! They dropped the front diff and removed the motor mount completely, ground it down, re-welded the mount cause I guess it required a good bit of grinding (through the weld) to get clearance. They painted the mount and put it all back together (hopefully they didnt crossthread the mount/block bolts.... :/).

Mine had a terrible rattle from the contact. I left it like that for about 1 1/2 months, ill ask if there was any damage to the header when I pick it up (ceramic coated).

LOVE! the performance of the headers bpipes and uprev. Not sure Id put headers on another vehicle though, PITA. my wife is ready to f'ing kill me! Told her these headers wouldn't be any trouble...They're just pipes!!! LOL,

#29 ·
As has been mentioned earlier, this seems to be happening more often with the header installs now vs. not. I'm wondering if it's time for JBA to take a look at some later model year Titans (or their jig) and see if there are some small differences in how the engine is mounted that are making the clearances tighter and thus, having the headers rub? I've read alot of very good comments on the header/UpRev package, but I'm not keen on having to hack on my truck just to make them fit. It that's the way it is, then that's the way it is and I'll just deal with it, but it would be nice just to bolt them on and not worry about it.

#30 ·
^^^ especially because we all know how Nissan does not do any QC to keep their trucks consistent with each other...IE coil buckets are all welded on randomly lol

#31 ·
And I've found through my dealer parts manager that Nissan is also known to make running changes to parts and not tell anybody. You don't know till you go to order a part with what you thought is a current part number only to find it has been superseded with a new part number. Wouldn't surprise me if right now I went down there and gave them a part number I have for the exhaust manifolds and find it has been changed (again). Heck, go drive a 2015 vs. any other model year and you'll quickly find that there is noticeable differences in how the truck is (NVH particularly) vs. prior years. Yet all Nissan advertised on the 2015's is new door panels and two new colors.

#32 ·
There are 100's of part number changes every year on new year models that are not known to anyone except Nissan. It's not something that is advertised by Nissan because most of those part changes are invisible to the customer. I would imagine it is similar practice at any other auto manufacturer.

#33 ·
It is, and I don't expect them to. It's just odd to me sometimes on all the running small changes to a platform that is 11 years old ('04-'15) when it comes to the core stuff, especially after the big revisions on 08.5+ and then again in 2011. In relation then to the post, I'm wondering what has changed here-engine mounts? The frame rail attachment points where the engine mounts go? Just curious why there is more reported grinding down the mounts to get the headers to fit without making contact/noise vs. prior years?

#35 ·
No as way too many guys with the newer trucks 2011-2015 have no issues at all with clearance. Like I said earlier it's only a few guys out there with issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.