Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After almost four weeks I got them back from Swain sealed up just like I sent them and UPS was extra careful as usual with a package that's insured for 1500.00, lol. The cost was 280.00 plus shipping and insurance from Florida to NY for a grand total of 360.00 but you could save 40.00 by not insuring them, yikes. The coating is a silvery white and I took a photo of them against my mostly white shirt for comparison sake and a couple more on the wood floor. The consistency of the coating is like a medium grit sand paper and very uniform. They got into all the cracks and crevices and protected the bolt holes like they should and although the coating was scraped in a couple of places via UPS, the coating is intact and just kinda smoothed with a darker color cast in those areas. They got a little over spray on the engine flanges and not hardly worth mentioning, but I want to be unbiased in my review of their coating. It doesn't seem as thick as I had imagined and if this is truly much thicker than all the rest, I can see why they would be inadequate in the heat retention department. With it's minor short comings it appears to be a quality job with a superior product and we will see how well they retain heat in a few days. The launch of the Titan rocket is scheduled for 4PM EDT Saturday if I can keep the flight crew away from the bar that long, lol.
"blueflag:

Attachments

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ourbaby said:
Very nice, now lets see em on the truck.
One of the problems with headers on this truck is you can't see em. I'm surprised sc186 was able to get those fine install photos he took of them, lol.

·
Registered
561 Posts
They look great - cant wait to find out how they perform!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Looks nice,lets see if you can help sell some.I'm still up in the air on it "NISMO LT headers or Stillen LT headers".Maybe you can make up my mind on this.

·
Registered
578 Posts
They look great man!! Is your exhaust going to bolt right up to the cats or are you going to have to modify it??

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Delta15 said:
They look great man!! Is your exhaust going to bolt right up to the cats or are you going to have to modify it??
I already had some custom 2.25" Bpipes with high flow cats installed and have been running them for a couple of weeks with no issues and the headers should bolt right up to those.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
The headers look sweet. I aint hating the wife beater either. Way to get a cameo with the headers. In new york the they hire skinny models to show off the latest gear, here at TT we get PAPA D in the beater:rancher: . Wonder if the coating adds anymore HP?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Those headers look great man and depending on your review I will get some myself. Congrats and keep us posted!

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
please please please do us a huge favor... do a before and after dyno.. it might seem like a lot to ask but it's the only way we will know for sure how good they are against the stillens.. im definatly wanting these more and more every day.. but if i got them i'd have to chop off the 2.25 collector and make a 2.5"

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
I like the coating that's on there. Looks unique. Are you still gonna paint them? I'd leave them as-is.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Toomnymods said:
please please please do us a huge favor... do a before and after dyno.. it might seem like a lot to ask but it's the only way we will know for sure how good they are against the stillens.. im definatly wanting these more and more every day.. but if i got them i'd have to chop off the 2.25 collector and make a 2.5"
I wish I could accommodate you guys that want to see dyno times but I already scheduled the install and if you knew my friend and how hard it is to get work done sometimes you would understand why I can't cancel now. If I put this off to do a dyno, it might literally be weeks before I could install them. I also need the 75.00 I would pay for the dyno to pay my mechanic friend for his hard labor. I will however get track times as usual and share whatever else I learn as well.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
54warrior said:
I like the coating that's on there. Looks unique. Are you still gonna paint them? I'd leave them as-is.
Thanks, I like it too and am going to leave them as is. I believe whatever I would gain by paint as far as heat retention would be very minimal so they stay as is.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Those headers look nice!!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I haven't yet coated any exhaust parts for the Titan, but coming from an STi & Evo (turbocharged sedans), I have some experience with different headers & exhaust parts and coatings. I've used Jet Hot, Performance Coatings, Crucial (they outsource), and Swain Tech. The Swain looked and felt much thicker and tougher (as they advertise)...I never put my hand to it when it was hot, but I did notice a huge drop in underhood temps. The non swain tech brands looked nicer, but more heat escaped the piping. It's obviously more money for coated than uncoated stainless, but worth it. The downside is the white coating, as I expect any fluid leaks or road grime will stain it and make it look like crap... I sprayed exhaust parts with black high temp paint in the past... didn't look great, but probably better than splotchy white & black piping in the long run.

The titan doesn't have a turbo, but if or when I get headers for my truck I will definitely coat them w/ swain tech. There's no reason to cook your motor by swapping the stock heat shielded pieces for naked stainless. Swain's pricing is competitive and service is great.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Seranin said:
I haven't yet coated any exhaust parts for the Titan, but coming from an STi & Evo (turbocharged sedans), I have some experience with different headers & exhaust parts and coatings. I've used Jet Hot, Performance Coatings, Crucial (they outsource), and Swain Tech. The Swain looked and felt much thicker and tougher (as they advertise)...I never put my hand to it when it was hot, but I did notice a huge drop in underhood temps. The non swain tech brands looked nicer, but more heat escaped the piping. It's obviously more money for coated than uncoated stainless, but worth it. The downside is the white coating, as I expect any fluid leaks or road grime will stain it and make it look like crap... I sprayed exhaust parts with black high temp paint in the past... didn't look great, but probably better than splotchy white & black piping in the long run.

The titan doesn't have a turbo, but if or when I get headers for my truck I will definitely coat them w/ swain tech. There's no reason to cook your motor by swapping the stock heat shielded pieces for naked stainless. Swain's pricing is competitive and service is great.
My main concern was cooking the engine bay components as well. If I weren't going to keep the vehicle, I still may have done it for the performance gains. The Titan runs a little hot anyway and uncoated headers certainly would not have helped the situation. The 3 week wait is killer though when you just want to throw them on there and race, lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts