Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 SL flex fuel with just about 230k miles. My truck runs great but within the last year I've added a 3" rough country lift with Bilstein shocks and 34.5" Patagonia milestar mud tires. My truck has been feeling a lot slower now and I was wondering if I should put some aftermarket headers on it or just get a bully dog tuner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Would re gearing be an easy thing to do?
It’s not horrible but a lot of people opt to have a shop do it instead. Given you basically have 35s, I’d recommend at least 3.73 gears; that way when you step on the gas, it’ll actually respond!

·
Premium Member
68,864 Posts
Have you done new plugs and the proper maintenance on the truck? Headers will require UpRev tuning, and a re-gear will not be cheap.

·
Premium Member
68,864 Posts
Change them by miles, not by years. Be sure to use OEM, NGK plugs for best service.

·
Premium Member
68,864 Posts
NGK 98376 DILFR5A-11D Laser Iridium Plug

·
Registered
172 Posts
Headers help the mid range a lot. Are you looking for more response on the throttle or low end? Also which fuel are you using?

·
Premium Member
68,864 Posts
You need headers and UpRev. Best bang for the buck.

·
Premium Member
68,864 Posts
Contact Nightowl, a site vendor for both items. They are good folks.

·
Premium Member
68,864 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cigarillo is right. When you went to the taller tires you effectively changed your rear end ratio. Not sure where you started, these trucks came with 2.94 or 3.36 gears depending on package, and the stock tire size was optimized for the rear end. If you're looking to get back to where it was, you'll need to step up your gearing accordingly. While a fresh tune up & maybe a computer tweak may not be a bad idea, you're not going to be happy with your results with those big tires.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have the 3.36 right now. You think the 3.73 would be a good choice?

Cigarillo is right. When you went to the taller tires you effectively changed your rear end ratio. Not sure where you started, these trucks came with 2.94 or 3.36 gears depending on package, and the stock tire size was optimized for the rear end. If you're looking to get back to where it was, you'll need to step up your gearing accordingly. While a fresh tune up & maybe a computer tweak may not be a bad idea, you're not going to be happy with your results with those big tires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you've got the 3.36's, and you are looking to get back that 'snap' it had off the line with the stockers, the 3.73's would be your best choice. That's what I would like to do with my '12 Pro4x since I put 35's on it. The parts aren't outrageous, but doing the gear swap is something you might want to leave to a professional to get set up correctly. If you wanted to get a little more aggressive you could go to 4.10's, but your top end will suffer a little. If you drive it like you stole it a lot you're going to start having trouble with other components too. There are several gear calculators online that can help your selection. If you're committed to the taller tire, the 3.73 is the best choice to get it closest to how it performed with the stock setup.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts