Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Goodmorning everyone, i have a 2008 titan se and the headlights will not turn off unless i turn off the truck. Using the manual light switch the running lights, dash lights, marker lights, taillights, will all turn off and on, high beams work as normal, but the actual headlights themselves will not turn off. This has become somewhat of an inconvenience even though it may seem like a minor problem. Any ideas as to if there is a way to turn these lights off that im not seeing let me know!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Maybe the relay is stuck on... pull the relay and see if they turn off.
If they do, use a multimeter to see if the relay is closed even with it unplugged.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sounds like you are like me and have a Canadian Titan. I have yet to find a way to turn of the DRL's and yes, it is completely annoying as their are times it would be nice to have them off.

·
Premium Member
15,664 Posts
yes, as Indy stated, Canada requires DRL or daytime running lights. Since your in Washington State, its a pretty good chance that you got a Canada spec truck. Someone may come along shortly with a way to turn them off. I do not know of a way myself.

·
Registered
327 Posts
yes, as Indy stated, Canada requires DRL or daytime running lights. Since your in Washington State, its a pretty good chance that you got a Canada spec truck. Someone may come along shortly with a way to turn them off. I do not know of a way myself.
I've been looking and searching for over a year and have yet to find a way. I feel like a rude a-hole in camp grounds when I have to do something with my truck and the headlights come on.

·
Premium Member
15,664 Posts
i saw a few posts around, but they involve cutting wires and such. not sure just how bad you guys want to turn them off.

I understand you though, i just shut off the entry light option on the jeep (where the headlights turn on when you unlock the vehicle) If someone was sitting in the car across from me in a parking lot, they would get an eyeful...

·
Registered
327 Posts
i saw a few posts around, but they involve cutting wires and such. not sure just how bad you guys want to turn them off.

I understand you though, i just shut off the entry light option on the jeep (where the headlights turn on when you unlock the vehicle) If someone was sitting in the car across from me in a parking lot, they would get an eyeful...
All the one's I have seen that talk about that, they are cutting a parking brake wire and tying it to ground to trick the module into thinking the parking brake is always on. That will not work on the Titan because ours don't turn off with the parking brake like some, if it did, I'd be good with just that normal functionality.

I've read so many freaking write ups that it is maddening, but none of them apply to the Titan, it's like Nissan did something completely different with these.

Mine is definitely factory setup like this and not an after the fact conversion to comply with Canadian regs like some because mine actually has a Canadian VIN. The Nissan service department hates when they see my truck because they always have to fight their system to get the VIN to come up in their system.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hehe... I assumed the OP would know about DRL if it came with them... hehehehe...

Hope I didn't send you on a snipe hunt!! The others are right...sorry

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hehe... I assumed the OP would know about DRL if it came with them... hehehehe...

Hope I didn't send you on a snipe hunt!! The others are right...sorry
Yeah, the issue is, it isn't mentioned many places because being a Canadian truck, it's not the norm. So I could see where he might be confused since normal Titans don't have DRL.

By the way, pulling the relay also does nothing. The relay just flips the headlights between DRL mode and high beam, so pulling the relay supposedly just sets them to full high beam instead of DRL where they run at a lower voltage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for your replies, i had no idea about the DRL with this truck. Its not a big deal when im driving on the street as its always grey and overcast here in washington anyways. Could you run the lights to a completely seperate aftermarket switch somehow. Never been good at electrical ha

·
Premium Member
15,664 Posts
With it being government mandate in Canada, i would assume they wouldnt make it easy to disable. What is the inconvenience of having them on? aside from not being able to tail someone on a dark road. lol

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'll go peek at the FSM...
I know the DRL circuit has a relay across the hi-beams that runs em in series...

·
Registered
460 Posts
So.. here's a diagram of how it works
(In the interest of simplicity, I left out the fuses and detail the FSM would have.)

If you pull the DRL relay, and Jump terminals 3 and 4 in the socket, you will be all set... No More DRL, and High beams will work as in the US version.

Edit... Be real sure you do a decent job with the jumper.. if it fails... no high beams.
I claim no responsibility for this post if you fry something...

Attachments

Reactions: REDRUM

·
Registered
460 Posts
OR... Easier yet...
Try this first ...

Pull fuse F3 in the IPDM fuse panel (its referenced as #45 in the schematics...)

This will prevent the relay from energizing(this is the + side of the relay coil), leaving the headlamps each to their own ground, and will remove power from the DRL power side of the relay... doesn't look like anything else is on this fuse... (it will essentially leave the relay in there dead, but functioning as the above mentioned jumper)

Again.. try this at your own risk..

Reactions: Indy

·
Registered
327 Posts
OR... Easier yet...
Try this first ...

Pull fuse F3 in the IPDM fuse panel (its referenced as #45 in the schematics...)

This will prevent the relay from energizing(this is the + side of the relay coil), leaving the headlamps each to their own ground, and will remove power from the DRL power side of the relay... doesn't look like anything else is on this fuse... (it will essentially leave the relay in there dead, but functioning as the above mentioned jumper)

Again.. try this at your own risk..
That I may have to look at. Generally I like the DRL as a safety feature, I just want a way to occasionally turn them off, so if that works, I could put a switch in then to turn them on and off. So that may be the best answer for me.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have actually thought about trying to add them... like you say, with a switch.
Eh..that's a different thread sometime... because I don't have them factory..

You could put an in-line fuse, some wire, and a toggle switch across the existing fuse space...
(maybe use a couple fuse taps, one on each side of the original fuse, and hold them in there with a blown or intentionally cut fuse....)

The wire would have to be rated for the DRL circuit current, as that fuse does support both headlamps in series as well as the relay coil when the IPDM grounds the trigger.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Was looking through the factory service manuals I had downloaded, I downloaded all of them for the 2013, it didn't include the one for lighting, no wonder I couldn't find anything. Got it now.

According to that it is supposed to be tied to the parking brake and turn off with it. UGH!!!

Oh well, now I got the info I need to try to dig in more.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Subscribed... I have this feature on my truck as well but run LED high beam bulbs. The DRL feature cause the power to fluctuate and flicker when in DRL mode. It is super annoying and I would like to be able to turn that off all together. I may try just removing the fuse as stated above.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts