Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that the hardcoat layer on both of my headlights is starting to peel and flake off. I began to notice it about a year ago and it's been getting progressively worse. I'm very disappointed because it makes what otherwise is a mint condition truck look like a POS in the front.

I've seen other Nissans (primarily used 350Z's) with this same problem as well due to the headlight design and constant UV exposure. It primarily affects the horizontal surface area of the headlight near the fender. I thought about polishing them, but the coating seems to be some kind of hardcoat layer manufactured into the plastic. The plastic under it doesn't seem as glossy as the hardcoat layer on top. Polishing them might make them look worse.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem with their headlights? If so, is their anyway I can get them replaced or pro rated under some kind of warranty by saying it's a safety issue or something? I seems like a factory defect to me because the headlights shouldn't be peeling and flaking after only 6 years.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I've noticed a little flaking starting on the top yellow part, the clear headlights still look mint, but I'm thinking it won't be long until it spreads down the whole light. It almost looks like a hard clear coat on the lights.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Mine are getting foggy too! Once that clear coat layer on top of the clear plastic starts flaking off, then its all downhill from there. Also, the rubber strip that seals the headlight case together is coming apart, letting moisture inside the case. Time for some new headlights!

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
take them to a body shop and have them wet sanded and re-clear coated. they will look brand new. not sure if the shop will give a warranty on them, thats up to them. it happens alot to cars in hot areas with lots of sun exposure. we use to do it all the time at the body shop i worked for. my record was 6 pairs in one day haha

·
Registered
686 Posts
Yea, the 3M kit works great, but because our lights are so big it will probably take two kits and a spare box of 500 Grit discs.

Reactions: gweasel77

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
i did this on some nightshaded tails I bought really really cheap... 22 bucks at any auto parts store...

my before on left and after on right...
Man, that is some amazing work you've done there!

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I keep seeing a new product advertized on TV but I haven't tried it and don't know that I trust or believe it. It's a wipe on wipe off stuff that is supposed to take all that fog away....I don't see it doing that but hey....can't [tell until it's tried.

I've used that 3M kit and it does what it says. Just take your time and read the instructions. Ive also seen a powerball kit that you use with a drill but again, I've not tried it. try the 3M before dropping big bucks on new headlight units.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Man, that is some amazing work you've done there!
Thanks. It was easy but time consuming because I had four lights to deal with. I used about a kit and a half of discs bit o had some leftover from a previous job I did. The 3m kit is great.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
take them to a body shop and have them wet sanded and re-clear coated. they will look brand new. not sure if the shop will give a warranty on them, thats up to them. it happens alot to cars in hot areas with lots of sun exposure. we use to do it all the time at the body shop i worked for. my record was 6 pairs in one day haha

Hey Matt, does the body shop use a special clear coat?

Yup! The heat and extreme UV light exposure kills the coating on headlights.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Hey Matt, does the body shop use a special clear coat?

Yup! The heat and extreme UV light exposure kills the coating on headlights.
just regular PPG clear coat. i just dry sanded with 800grit on a DA sander the wet sand with 1000, 1500 then 2000 then clear coat it with about 3-4 coats then wet sand with 3000 and buff them out

1 - 12 of 12 Posts