Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently my truck was broken into and my headunit was ripped out...:crying: I bought my original on clearance and that was mostly what I based it off of and it suited me well but now I might actually shop around a little for this one. If anyone has some good recommendations that would be great. GPS, sirius and all that added gizmos aren't needed but just something that people recomend. I'm not into the pop out kind either cause i've never had good luck with those (broken hinges, hitting them, breaking them)

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
I researched new head units, but didn't buy one because the pre-outs on my stock head unit work well. I would still love to have all the bells and whistles though. Anyhow, the Kenwood Excelon DDX790 got my vote. I love Pioneer, but they have an issue with a ground fuse blowing that causes engine noise. There is a fix for it, but why spend that much money on something that is known to have problems? I will probably get the DDX790 one of these days.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah I had a Kenwood DDX 516 and it was perfect for clearance so maybe just upgrading on that one would be the way to go.

The other thing that is a must is a volume button that is not touch screen.... My old old one was touch only and trying to find that thing while driving was dangerous to say the least.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,481 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I love my Pioneer AVH5500. It has back up cam, monitor, Bluetooth for hands free calling, Bluetooth audio, Pandora radio through your cell, MP3player, DVD player, HD radio and much, much more. I like the bells and whistles. I've had mine for almost six months and have not had the first problem. One of the best things I've done for my T.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a pioneer 930x with backup has touch screen plus volume knob, but it has that engine noise that problem. If you are getting to have navi, go with Kenwood for garmin or i think alpine or clarion (one of them) have garmin as well i think.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
I have a pioneer 930x with backup has touch screen plus volume knob, but it has that engine noise that problem. If you are getting to have navi, go with Kenwood for garmin or i think alpine or clarion (one of them) have garmin as well i think.
Try wrapping bare wire around all of the ouside of the RCA plugs on the head unit and then grounding that wire to the radio and the chassis - this should clean that up.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Yeah I had a Kenwood DDX 516 and it was perfect for clearance so maybe just upgrading on that one would be the way to go.

The other thing that is a must is a volume button that is not touch screen.... My old old one was touch only and trying to find that thing while driving was dangerous to say the least.

I like a volume knob too - better control and you don't have to take your eyes off of the text your sending.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I still plan on getting one of the Android 4.1 units.

"AN-21 U" - Unbranded 6.2" 2 DIN Pure Android 4.1 Car Stereo Radio Head Unit [ROOTED] - xda-developers

There is a little discussion in reds_titan thread..... http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-visual-audio-discussion/189849-anyone-use-mirror-link.html

Since I just spent a little over $1200 in the past two weeks on the truck, I gotta save up some money to get the HU and 4 other things....THEN, I may be done with mods for awhile....:ftard:.......but we all know better :crying:

I missed the thread on the break in.....I hate a F'ing theif....was it in Greenville or Durham? I use to live on Charles St. in Greenville, so I know how things are....and, well...... in Durham....:hi:

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I just scored a good deal on a Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS...I love the bluetooth streaming and has full ipod control, and the pandora control works over bluetooth with my Galaxy Note 2..no extra wires and don't even have to take my phone out of my pocket..and is an HD radio built in. .Great clarity for regular radio..and remote..

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I still plan on getting one of the Android 4.1 units.

"AN-21 U" - Unbranded 6.2" 2 DIN Pure Android 4.1 Car Stereo Radio Head Unit [ROOTED] - xda-developers

There is a little discussion in reds_titan thread..... http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-visual-audio-discussion/189849-anyone-use-mirror-link.html

Since I just spent a little over $1200 in the past two weeks on the truck, I gotta save up some money to get the HU and 4 other things....THEN, I may be done with mods for awhile....:ftard:.......but we all know better :crying:

I missed the thread on the break in.....I hate a F'ing theif....was it in Greenville or Durham? I use to live on Charles St. in Greenville, so I know how things are....and, well...... in Durham....:hi:
Durham...... My Greenville house is way safer sense we have a fence around our parking area and it's behind our house but the neighborhood my parents live in is not a bad one but we had a lot of break ins recently. But yeah it sucks.

Thanks for all the suggestions I'll check them out. Keep em coming!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Lot of good brands out there. I have always thought Clarion sounds best, very natural, but a lot of people like the highs to be brighter.

Anyway just stock to a name brand and you should be fine..

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Good to hear that. I've been considering picking one up. Was it an easy install? I've never done audio stuff myself so I don't want to get in over my head.
Mine was part of a total system upgrade (2 amps, 4 door speakers, subwoofer) and I paid to have everything installed. They threw in the HU install for free. I looked into the install of the HU and it looked pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I just installed a Sony WX-GT90BT and am so far pretty satisfied with it. I did use some 90 degree RCA adapters so that I wouldn't have any clearance issues with that metal bar that runs across the width of the truck. Install was pretty straight forward with the harness supplied from Crutchfield. I pre-connected the Sony harness with the Metra harness with some solder and shrink tubing and that made things go even smoother once I began the install. Only gripe is that there doesn't seem to be a way to view the time AND the cd track or radio station at the same time. Other than that it is a pretty nice unit. Bluetooth works flawlessly and even can access my Android phonebook for easy calling.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I like the Pioneer AVH-x5600BHS and AVH - X8500BHS. I'm leaning to toward the 8500 with the biggest selling point in differences being the detachable face plate. Tech12volts is helping me out with some of my issue (since it's a 2013 titan), but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Still have to look into using the stock rearview camera like I want and if I get Sirius/XM, I'd like to use the stock satellite antenna.

·
Registered
317 Posts
My pioneer x2500bt was very buggy and I returned it. Gave them another shot and upgraded to the 4600bt. Seems ok but haven't touched it much yet.

Pioneer has the most features, but getting them to work seamless with your phone isn't easy to do. Takes a minute to connect, open app, approve app making changes to iPhone, blah blah blah.

·
Registered
739 Posts
oh and the Bluetooth is nice, I can pull up my phone book, recent calls, or dial I don't use Pandora so I cant comment on how that works, I also have the axxess aswc so I can use my steering controls works pretty well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts