Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, new here, I have a 2010 titan se with the tow package, rated at 9300# and a gcwr of 15100. I am currently at 15000 and it is kind of a white knuckle ride... we have the Equalizer WD hitch at 10,000#, a 1000# tongue weight, and are currently at 8400 in the back. we have the sway stabilizers, but I don't feel like they're working... we are kind of bouncing and swaying. Should we stop and get airbags? Will that help with the bounce/sway? ANY ideas help. Towing a 26TT from arkansas to Washington as we speak...

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Hey everyone, new here, I have a 2010 titan se with the tow package, rated at 9300# and a gcwr of 15100. I am currently at 15000 and it is kind of a white knuckle ride... we have the Equalizer WD hitch at 10,000#, a 1000# tongue weight, and are currently at 8400 in the back. we have the sway stabilizers, but I don't feel like they're working... we are kind of bouncing and swaying. Should we stop and get airbags? Will that help with the bounce/sway? ANY ideas help. Towing a 26TT from arkansas to Washington as we speak...
Do you mean a 26ft travel trailer?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the hitch setup. We stopped at camping world and they said it was all correct but I feel like we are swaying Way more than we should. This is not the dream everyone here says it should be, more like a nightmare!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,950 Posts
If you are running the stock tires then _some_ of the sway could be coming from the tires. I tow a dual axle enclosed utility trailer that weighs in at about 6,000 lbs through canyons in the Rocky Mountains. On every curve the truck felt "squishy". Once I upgraded to LT tires with a "D" load range the entire experience was so much better.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Yes. A Dutchman 261BHS
Well, is your sway control catching it, once it starts, or is it trying to leave your lane? 8400lbs seems like too much for a 26footer. I had a 34.5 rockwood that had a max gross weight of about 8800lbs. If you're over weight on the trailer, that could contribute to it. Is your sway control adjustment maxed out?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not leaving the lane, just feels a little bucky and rocks some... especially when being passed, but it seems to have leveled off some. The 8400 is fully loaded with all our stuff. The dry weight is like 6700.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Not leaving the lane, just feels a little bucky and rocks some... especially when being passed, but it seems to have leveled off some. The 8400 is fully loaded with all our stuff. The dry weight is like 6700.
If you can tighten you sway control anymore, do it. Other than that, your set up looks pretty good and level. It's just the nature of the beast. This may be a dumb question, but are you loaded with water?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Having 'been there', I see part of the problem from your photo. You're using friction "sway control". The little friction bars really are ineffective on a trailer that wants to sway. I had a trailer that was an absolute nightmare with a standard hitch and the little dinky friction bars, and swapping hitches really brought it under control. Yes, it's money spent, but money well spent...

There are some things you can do to help, but the brutal honest truth is, you need to start with a sway-cancelling hitch. Reese makes a good one (used their Twin-Cam for years), but there are ones by Eqal-i-zer and Blue Ox that also get good reviews. I'm towing a 7000#, 29' trailer that's nearly 12' tall, with an Eaz-Lift Trekker and so far like it very much.

Meanwhile, there are a couple other things you can do: Have the trailer 'nose down' by an inch or two when it's hooked up; if you can move any weight around in the trailer, move it forward of the axles. If your water tank is behind the axles, travel with it only 1/4 to 1/2 full.

Good luck from someone who lives where it's always a challenge to tow, and hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
7,318 Posts
In my experience, several things can help mitigate sway.

1) Is your trailer level?
2) Is your trailer properly loaded (proper tongue weight)?
3) What is the load rating of your TT tires?
4) What PSI are you running them at?
5) Are your TT tires cheap (MIC)?
6) What is the load rating of your Titan's tires?
7) What PSI are you running them at?
8) Are your Titan tires cheap?

I'd make sure to address numbers 1 & 2 first, as they are free. Numbers 4 & 7 are relatively cheap as well.

The TT tires should be maxed out on inflation, according to the numbers on the sidewall of the tires. If you're still running the OEM p-metric tires on your Titan, I'd strongly consider replacing them with a good quality Goodyear, Michelin, etc., that has an load rating of E. I would tow with the tires inflated up above 65psi. Its the air pressure that carries the weight, not the sidewall of the tire. Now, a stronger/higher quality sidewall/tire will dramatically improve ride comfort/confidence. While on the topic of tires, if you're still running the cheap Chinese ST tires on your TT, you need to dump them. You want to find a Goodyear/Michelin/etc LT tire that's the lease aggressive tread pattern that you can find, with the highest load rating. At minimum a "D". For instance, the Goodyear Wrangler HT is a great option. Buy five. You might have to step up one wheel size to find a tire that will work. If you're running a 205/75-14 load range C, I'd look to see if like a 215/75-15 load range D (LRD) would fit. I'd again, always run the max PSI that the TT tires allow for. Check it frequently.

Sway-mitigating hitch. As mentioned by others, hitches like the Reese Dual-Cam hitch is fantastic at attenuating sway. But it has to be set up properly for it to be effective. That includes having a level, and properly loaded trailer. If you're unable to get the truck and trailer level, then yes, I'd absolutely add a pair of airbags. Make absolutely certain that they are plumbed exclusive of each other. They can't be Tee'd together.

You should really choose the tires carefully. You can't cheap out. You'll just be throwing money away.

If you question my experience/authority on the issue, take a look at my sig pic. I've gone through the same evolution of problems/solutions as you. I've towed/hauled the below setup all over WA, OR, ID, UT, & CO. It's rare that I drive with more than a thumb & forefinger on the wheel.

My TT is 32' long overall. The ATVs weigh in at 550#ea, plus the rack & gear.

**Note: the pic was before I added FS RideRite bags to the rear.

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
71,590 Posts
Try resetting the WD hitch so you have another link or two dangling. I have 3 links hanging when I am hooked up. It may need to transfer a little more weight to the front end.

Reactions: GRAVITY

·
Premium Member
7,318 Posts
Try resetting the WD hitch so you have another link or two dangling. I have 3 links hanging when I am hooked up. It may need to transfer a little more weight to the front end.
Speaking of which, do you lift the tongue of the trailer (attached to the Titan) before, or after you snap up your WD chains? It'll make life a lot easier, if you hitch up, then crank the tongue jack back down and lift the TT tongue up, attached to the truck, before you snap up your brackets.

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
71,590 Posts
Yeah, like damn near off the ground. :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,318 Posts
Heck yeah! I crank mine up pretty high. Makes a big difference.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
Here we go again,,,, Do you have the tow package, or the Max utility package (also know as Big tow or Premium utility package)?? The tow package on the 2010 SE does not mean you can tow 9300 pounds. The Tow package on the 2010 SE only consists of wiring for a break controller, class IV hitch and 7 pin connector it does not upgrade the gears. It does not give you the gears necessary for towing 9300 pounds. If you have the tow package, but do not have the Max utility package, you are only rated to tow 7200 pounds as you only have 2.94 gears. If you have the max utility package then you have the 3.36 gears (and bigger mirrors) which give you the tow rating of 9300#'s.

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
71,590 Posts
Damn, that sucker is heavy...

Length 31 ft 9 in
Ext Width 8 ft
Ext Height 11 ft 3 in
Int Height 6 ft 10 in
Hitch Weight 846 lbs
Dry Weight 6953 lbs

I'd say you are maxxed out if you have big tow. If a non big tow, you are way over...

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
71,590 Posts
Mine has big tow, and this is about all the camper I want. (see sig) :eek:

Length 25 ft 10 in
Ext Width 8 ft
Ext Height 11 ft 1 in
Int Height 6 ft 9 in
Hitch Weight 780 lbs
Gross Weight 7700 lbs
Dry Weight 5918 lbs

·
Premium Member
7,318 Posts
One thing that helps when towing big trailers, as I'm sure you well know, F1F, is axle configuration. The axles on my trailer are about 10" further apart than most TTs.

Also, LWB TV. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts