Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to everyone who replied to my question about towing my boat. I sold my 1999 3.3L Pathfinder to buy the Titan, and with the Pathfinder I towed a 4,500 pound ski boat from San Diego to Lake Powell about 10 times. The drive is 11 hours, often in 110+ heat across the desert. To keep up to speed on big grades, I'd keep the tranny in 2nd gear and hold it at redline, sometimes for an hour straight. The temp guage never budged, even in 120 heat. This is a big part of why I bought a Titan.

I'll tow the new boat (8,500 pounds wet) with the Titan on the same route, and expect similar excellent towing results. I don't plan on a weight distributing hitch, as it won't work with surge brakes.

We'll see how it goes!

·
Registered
294 Posts
You know Dave, I can save you about 5-6 hours on that trip if you want to leave your boat at my place...:smileysqu

Just let us know when you go on your trip's so we can make sure we're not on the road at the same time.

Seriously, you'll have to let us know how your setup does on your first trip.

Karl

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
DaveS,

Just like you, we sold a 99.5 Pathy w/3.3L.

As far as putting it in 2nd and holding it at redline...with the Big Tow Pkg you just hit the 'Tow Mode' button and it 'holds' the tranny longer in the gears.

Chris

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
DaveS said:
Thanks to everyone who replied to my question about towing my boat. I sold my 1999 3.3L Pathfinder to buy the Titan, and with the Pathfinder I towed a 4,500 pound ski boat from San Diego to Lake Powell about 10 times. The drive is 11 hours, often in 110+ heat across the desert. To keep up to speed on big grades, I'd keep the tranny in 2nd gear and hold it at redline, sometimes for an hour straight. The temp guage never budged, even in 120 heat. This is a big part of why I bought a Titan.

I'll tow the new boat (8,500 pounds wet) with the Titan on the same route, and expect similar excellent towing results. I don't plan on a weight distributing hitch, as it won't work with surge brakes.

We'll see how it goes!
DaveS, I've used a loaner to take my trailer out to Glamis and I pull the Whitewater grade (I-10 just outside of Palm Springs) at 60-65 mph (and I'm about 1500lbs less than your boat.)

Look into the Equal-I-Zer weight distirbution hitch as it should work with surge brakes.

Just do yourself a favor and up your maint. schedule and enjoy.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
karlconnell said:
You know Dave, I can save you about 5-6 hours on that trip if you want to leave your boat at my place...:smileysqu

Just let us know when you go on your trip's so we can make sure we're not on the road at the same time.

Seriously, you'll have to let us know how your setup does on your first trip.

Karl
I'd actually take you up on that offer if you were a bit closer! I am now paying $165 a month to park the boat in a storage lot. No room at my house!

- Dave

·
Registered
294 Posts
DaveS said:
I'd actually take you up on that offer if you were a bit closer! I am now paying $165 a month to park the boat in a storage lot. No room at my house!

Ouch!!! :huh:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I just ordered an SE CC RWD w/ Big Tow (and other packages) and plan to tow a 24' travel trailer with a wet weight of about 6500-7000#.

In regards to the weight-distributing hitch, isn't it necessary to use one with a tongue weight above 500# (trailer weight in excess of 5000#)?

A boat weighing 8500# will have a tongue weight of around 850 - 1100#!!

I defintely plan to have one for my trailer. I would look into that further just to be sure/safe.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
titanjbc,

WElcome and I see your going to be using your baby as we will ours. We are still looking at TT's and will probably be buying within the next 2 months.

We are looking at everything between 21ft Hybrid out to 25ft standard. What kind of rig you have and any complaints on it?

Chris

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hey Cali-

I don't have a rig as yet, but a whole slew of plans are in the works. Just ordered the Titan, hope to arrive in May.

I just put a deposit down on a Keystone Hornet Lite 24RS, which has 4 bunks in the front and a slide out queen bed in the rear. The slideout is not tent fabric like a hybrid but hard-sided. You can go to www.keystonerv.com, look for Hornet to take a look. We have 3 young boys, so we need the bunks, and the length, at 24', should be very managable to tow. A great setup for us.

We've had a 12' popup trailer (towed with a Honda Odyssey) for 4 years and decided to upgrade. Bummer we had to buy a hefty tow vehicle. :) :) :)

I plan to use a Reese Straight-Line Weight-Distributing Hitch w/sway control to keep everything in line. By this summer, we'll be sitting pretty!!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
titanjbc said:
I don't have a rig as yet, but a whole slew of plans are in the works. Just ordered the Titan, hope to arrive in May.

I just put a deposit down on a Keystone Hornet Lite 24RS, which has 4 bunks in the front and a slide out queen bed in the rear. The slideout is not tent fabric like a hybrid but hard-sided. You can go to www.keystonerv.com, look for Hornet to take a look. We have 3 young boys, so we need the bunks, and the length, at 24', should be very managable to tow. A great setup for us.

We've had a 12' popup trailer (towed with a Honda Odyssey) for 4 years and decided to upgrade. Bummer we had to buy a hefty tow vehicle. :) :) :)

I plan to use a Reese Straight-Line Weight-Distributing Hitch w/sway control to keep everything in line. By this summer, we'll be sitting pretty!!!
That sounds like a great setup titanjbc. Congrats on both the rv and the truck. I can't wait to hear more about towing experiences from other Titan owner's on the forum.

Karl

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey Karl
My 5th wheel is a 28 foot Jayco, weighs 6,850 lbs dry. Had been pulling with V8 Tundra Access Cab for four years- soon to be pulled with my Titan LE - 4x4 ! I will post when I start hauling! I think that the 28 foot 5th wheel will be about the same as pulling a 24 or 25 foot regular trailer as 3 to 4 feet are over the bed.
King Cab LE 4x4 - aux Air Bags
Big Tow
Utilitrac System
Fosgate 350 watt- 8 speakers- 6 Changer
Captains Chairs - Powered
Heated seats
Floor mats - Splash Guards
Gated shifter
Spray in bed liner
Lighted tail gate
Fog Lamps
Running boards Campsmoke :cheers:

·
Registered
294 Posts
campsmoke said:
My 5th wheel is a 28 foot Jayco, weighs 6,850 lbs dry. Had been pulling with V8 Tundra Access Cab for four years- soon to be pulled with my Titan LE - 4x4 ! I will post when I start hauling! I think that the 28 foot 5th wheel will be about the same as pulling a 24 or 25 foot regular trailer as 3 to 4 feet are over the bed.
Campsmoke, I definitely can't wait to hear about your experiences. How much is the pin weight on your setup? I can't remember if you ended going with the KC or CC model.

Karl

·
Registered
105 Posts
karlconnell said:
Campsmoke, I definitely can't wait to hear about your experiences. How much is the pin weight on your setup? I can't remember if you ended going with the KC or CC model.

Karl
Hey Karl

I am getting the King Cab. The dry hitch weight is 1,150 lbs for the 5th wheel set-up. Had to go with the King Cab over the CC model because of the bed length.

Campsmoke :cheers:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't have any experience pulling 5th wheels but surely it IS possible for a CC to pull a (smaller) 5th wheel trailer isn't it? I would imagine one might need some kind of extension type hitch on the truck and a frontward sloping design on the trailer hitch itself? Anyone here with a CC pulling a 5th wheel?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Derodeo said:
I don't have any experience pulling 5th wheels but surely it IS possible for a CC to pull a (smaller) 5th wheel trailer isn't it? I would imagine one might need some kind of extension type hitch on the truck and a frontward sloping design on the trailer hitch itself? Anyone here with a CC pulling a 5th wheel?
The problem you run into is the length of the bed. Your likely to hit the overhang on the trailer against the cab of the truck.

·
Registered
294 Posts
campsmoke said:
I am getting the King Cab. The dry hitch weight is 1,150 lbs for the 5th wheel set-up. Had to go with the King Cab over the CC model because of the bed length.
That's right, I remember now. Do you plan on upgrading to LT tires when yours gets in?

Karl

·
Registered
12 Posts
5th Wheel

campsmoke said:
Hey Karl
King Cab LE 4x4 - aux Air Bags
Big Tow
Utilitrac System
Fosgate 350 watt- 8 speakers- 6 Changer
Captains Chairs - Powered
Heated seats
Floor mats - Splash Guards
Gated shifter
Spray in bed liner
Lighted tail gate
Fog Lamps
Running boards Campsmoke :cheers:
Campsmoke, what kind of hitch are you going to use ? What air bag setup do you have ?

·
Registered
105 Posts
karlconnell said:
That's right, I remember now. Do you plan on upgrading to LT tires when yours gets in?

Karl
Nope, going with the rubber that comes with the truck original. Did the same with my Tundra and had no problems.Getting so I can hardly wait! One good thing, I will have achance to "break - in" mine before I make my 1st camping trip to Brimley, Mich.

·
Registered
105 Posts
deckert said:
Campsmoke, what kind of hitch are you going to use ? What air bag setup do you have ?
Hey DEckert

My hitch is a double - pivot "Hijacker" which I recently took off the Tundra. Excellent hitch that! I am leaving the "Air Lift" Ride Control kit #59530 on the Tundra as I don't think I will need it on the Titan. Sure worked well on the Tundra though, as the load capacity on the Tundra is less than the Titan, so it was well worth it for the last 4 yrs. lol

My mistake, re Air Bags, if you mean the Air Bags in the truck, It came with side and curtain airbags as well as the normal frontal air bags.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not having experience with a 5th wheel I have a couple questions. Does the hitch easily remove from the bed? Could you then carry a sheet of plywood, or are you pretty much commited to keeping the hitch there?

We currently tow a popup, and have considered moving up to a lightweight 5th wheel someday.

Thanks for any info campsmoke.

Joe

1 - 20 of 30 Posts