Nissan Titan Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
joeandmaria said:
Not having experience with a 5th wheel I have a couple questions. Does the hitch easily remove from the bed? Could you then carry a sheet of plywood, or are you pretty much commited to keeping the hitch there?

We currently tow a popup, and have considered moving up to a lightweight 5th wheel someday.

Thanks for any info campsmoke.

Joe
Hi Joe

Hitch itself can be removed by pulling 4 pins, you could then haul sheet of plywood, however, the hitch is heavy so you would not be wanting to do this unless really necessary! I used to tow a popup with a Toyota Sienna, switched to a Bantam Hybred and towed that all the way to the East Coast and back,again with the Sienna. You will like a 5th wheel set up! Tracks right behind you like nothing! LOL!

Campsmoke :cheers:

·
Registered
59 Posts
campsmoke said:
Hi Joe

Hitch itself can be removed by pulling 4 pins, you could then haul sheet of plywood, however, the hitch is heavy so you would not be wanting to do this unless really necessary! I used to tow a popup with a Toyota Sienna, switched to a Bantam Hybred and towed that all the way to the East Coast and back,again with the Sienna. You will like a 5th wheel set up! Tracks right behind you like nothing! LOL!

SO when you pull the pins, the bed of the truck is flat for hauling? How much would you estimate the hitch weighs?

·
Registered
105 Posts
joeandmaria said:
SO when you pull the pins, the bed of the truck is flat for hauling? How much would you estimate the hitch weighs?
The hitch weighs 192 lbs. Truck bet is not truly flat because of the bracket extensions that the pins go thru , but throw a couple of pieces od scrap wood in htere and you get an even surface with your plywood on top! Check out the Hijacker web site on the Google search engine.

·
Registered
59 Posts
campsmoke said:
The hitch weighs 192 lbs. Truck bet is not truly flat because of the bracket extensions that the pins go thru , but throw a couple of pieces od scrap wood in htere and you get an even surface with your plywood on top! Check out the Hijacker web site on the Google search engine.

Thanks for the info!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
campsmoke said:
Hey DEckert

My hitch is a double - pivot "Hijacker" which I recently took off the Tundra. Excellent hitch that! I am leaving the "Air Lift" Ride Control kit #59530 on the Tundra as I don't think I will need it on the Titan. Sure worked well on the Tundra though, as the load capacity on the Tundra is less than the Titan, so it was well worth it for the last 4 yrs. lol

My mistake, re Air Bags, if you mean the Air Bags in the truck, It came with side and curtain airbags as well as the normal frontal air bags.

Campsmoke: Did you bolt the hitch mount through the frame or have it welded ? How did you run your brake connection to the trailer ?

·
Registered
105 Posts
deckert said:
Campsmoke: Did you bolt the hitch mount through the frame or have it welded ? How did you run your brake connection to the trailer ?
Hi DEckert

The hitch is bolted to the truck frame thru the truck bed, and the truck is pre-wired at the dash for the electronic brake control -{I'm putting in a Tekonsha Prodigy controller }and unless I'm mistaken, the 7 pin hitch connector in the big tow pkg transmits the brake signal to the trailer brakes. LOL

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had to cancel my Titan order because there was no approved sliding hitch for the Titan yet. If I insisted that the hitch be installed, then the Nissan warranty would have been voided. A straight hitch in the 6.5' bed would have hit the cab on jacknifed turns, like backing in. It would have gone around a normal corner OK. Very disappointed. Reese said they hoped to have an approved hitch in 6 weeks. That was a couple of weeks ago. Maybe I will be able to get one yet, but not right away. I had the truck in hand, all I had to do was pay for it. The dealer refunded my deposit as it was they who said it would take a hitch when it would not. Al in Benson, AZ

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
amacd said:
I had to cancel my Titan order because there was no approved sliding hitch for the Titan yet. If I insisted that the hitch be installed, then the Nissan warranty would have been voided. A straight hitch in the 6.5' bed would have hit the cab on jacknifed turns, like backing in. It would have gone around a normal corner OK. Very disappointed. Reese said they hoped to have an approved hitch in 6 weeks. That was a couple of weeks ago. Maybe I will be able to get one yet, but not right away. I had the truck in hand, all I had to do was pay for it. The dealer refunded my deposit as it was they who said it would take a hitch when it would not. Al in Benson, AZ
Don't wait around for Nissan to approve a 5th wheel Hitch for the current Titan.

·
Registered
105 Posts
amacd said:
Hi amacd

I could see a problem putting a 5th wheel hitch into a Crew Cab but not into a King Cab! My RV Dealer put my Double Pivot Hijacker hitch in my Tundra 4 tears ago and I just had it removed a week or so ago awaiting installation in my Titan LE King Cab. the Tundra bed is shorter than the Titan King Cab so he does not see a problem installing the hitch. I never asked Toyota if they had an approved hitch and I did not ask Nissan that question either. Some 5th wheel trailers have extended pins, perhaps you can get the one on your trailer extended if it is too short. LOL

·
Registered
37 Posts
The people that were going to install the hitch asked me to sign a waiver and when we checked with Nissan they said it would void the warranty, thus I did not buy the Titan. I agree that my Wanderer 258 will not overload the truck in any way. Now that has forced me to take my summer trips with my Prius, which gets only 44.4 MPG. I think the Titan would have burned more than 3 times that much. Maybe now I will just wait for Toyota to make a hybrid truck. Al

21 - 30 of 30 Posts