Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here,

Test drove the Titan Sunaday and I WANT one. But, there is a fly in the ointment -- I need to tow a 7300# Airstream Trailer. Now I know the book says big tow package gets you 9500# but the tongue weight on the trailer is 900#.

Put the wife and I in the ruck and I've got about 350# before I over gross the Titan.

So, is anyone here towing something this heavy and, if so, how well are you doing?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
65 Posts
n2916s said:
Newbie here,

Test drove the Titan Sunaday and I WANT one. But, there is a fly in the ointment -- I need to tow a 7300# Airstream Trailer. Now I know the book says big tow package gets you 9500# but the tongue weight on the trailer is 900#.

Put the wife and I in the ruck and I've got about 350# before I over gross the Titan.

So, is anyone here towing something this heavy and, if so, how well are you doing?

Thanks,

Mike
I was told by my trailer guy if you install weight distbution bars, you can cut trailer tongue weight. I actually do not know if this is true. Maybe you will get some comments on the forum.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Mike, I think you are certainly close to what I would be comfortable with but you may be ok IF you purchased some LT rated tires. I just purchased a set of Goodyear AT/S LT 275/65-18's (load range E) to provide additional stability and load capability and they make a world of difference in how the truck handles. While the P rated tires that come with the Titan's ride very well in town they just aren't up to handling this big of a truck in heavy crosswinds on the highway or heavy towing applications. If you don't have a lot of other cargo I think you would be fine.

There are others on this forum that are pulling some 5th wheels with pin weights heavier than your tongue weight for whatever it's worth.

Karl

·
Registered
183 Posts
I plan to tow a 6400# trailer, give or take, and with the tongue weight, passengers (5 + dog) and stuff, I will be just about at the GVWR, or just a tad under. I will be under the GCVWR by 2500#, you may be closer to 1500#. I don't have experience with the LT tires, although what Karl says makes lots of sense. I think you'd be all right, with a good WD system, brakes on the trailer and an ant-sway system wouldn't hurt.

It's going to be a few months before I get my rig all set, but I'll be able to give more input then.

Keep us up to date on what you decide...

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I need to weigh my trailer, but I'm close to to 6500 lbs with my trailer and the Titan tows it with out much effort.

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
n2916s said:
Newbie here,

Thanks,

Mike
They tested it on a 7840# boat & trailer, 720# tongue weight, before naming it "Tow Vehicle of The Year"

http://www.iboats.com/sites/trailerboats/site_page_1483/article_page_259.html

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
You should be OK. Go with a wieght distributing setup and some sway control for safety. We are looking to tow a trailer as well with a fully loaded wieght of 7k pds and tongue wieght of 750 and don't forsee any issues.

I have already towed a 5300pd boat with really no effort at all (Tongue wight was right about 500.

Chris

·
Registered
11 Posts
n2916s said:
Newbie here,

Thanks,

Mike
I plan on towing when I get my Titan and I'm installing Super Springs. Check out: www.mrtruck.net/springs.htm

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
No problem!

n2916s said:
Newbie here,

Thanks,

Mike
Mike,

You are going to have NO PROBLEM with the Titan. I had a Dodge 3500 Diesel dually before and I LOVE this truck!! The Titan is the equal of the big truck in pulling power. Plus you have the revs to pass when you need it.

I would recommend you get a Reese Dual Cam system for your trailer. I have one on the Titan and it handles my big Arctic Fox really well. The Reese system isn't as expensive as a Hensley Arrow and does a good job for the money. Plus it works well with a heavy tongue. I have 750# on my tongue and it does well. The trailer is over 6500# when fully loaded.

In any case you do need a load equalizing system plus a heavy hitch. The Airstream's weight is nothing to be trifled with. Get a Tekonsha Prodigy for a brake controller, it is the best I have ever used. (And I've used a number of the cheap ones.)

Hope this helps,
Steamguy

(I've attached a pic of our dogs enjoying the ability to lay on the floor or look out the window)

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
For those of you who are towing big trailers, could you post some pictures of the Titan hooked up to them to see how they look with the size and the weight of the trailer compared to the Titan.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
See below.

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
pyromedic said:
For those of you who are towing big trailers, could you post some pictures of the Titan hooked up to them to see how they look with the size and the weight of the trailer compared to the Titan.
Thanks
See my sig pyro...

Karl

·
Registered
294 Posts
Steamguy said:
Mike,

You are going to have NO PROBLEM with the Titan. I had a Dodge 3500 Diesel dually before and I LOVE this truck!! The Titan is the equal of the big truck in pulling power. Plus you have the revs to pass when you need it.

I would recommend you get a Reese Dual Cam system for your trailer. I have one on the Titan and it handles my big Arctic Fox really well. The Reese system isn't as expensive as a Hensley Arrow and does a good job for the money. Plus it works well with a heavy tongue. I have 750# on my tongue and it does well. The trailer is over 6500# when fully loaded.

In any case you do need a load equalizing system plus a heavy hitch. The Airstream's weight is nothing to be trifled with. Get a Tekonsha Prodigy for a brake controller, it is the best I have ever used. (And I've used a number of the cheap ones.)

Hope this helps,
Steamguy
Steamguy, glad to have another tow'er aboard. Which model Fox do you have and have you had an opportunity to take a trip with your setup yet?

Karl

·
Registered
339 Posts
karlconnell said:
See my sig pyro...

Karl
Derwood and Karl,
Derwood nice quad looks like the one I used to have. Karl, How many feet is the trailer? Any slideouts? I'm looking for a trailer in the next year or so for the Titan to tow but, would like one with the slideouts and fiberglass sides. The lighter the better on weight.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Have been towing with the new truck

karlconnell said:
Steamguy, glad to have another tow'er aboard. Which model Fox do you have and have you had an opportunity to take a trip with your setup yet?

Karl
We have a 26J. Great, tough trailer. Stands right up to our bad back roads. Took a trip to the coast a few weeks ago. Lots of 5% - 6% grades. Truck only had 2300 miles on it so I didn't floorboard it. We did the hills in fine style, never going below about 50, not even holding the gas more than 3/4 of the way down. Gas mileage was about 11, which is what I would expect.

And I do not have the Big Tow package on the truck. Wish I did, but the only way I could get it was to buy and LE which was 'way too much more money. I did add the big mirrors to mine through an aftermarket store, however. The dealer wanted to charge me $1000. Give me a break... :rolleyes:

Steamguy

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Steamguy said:
And I do not have the Big Tow package on the truck. Wish I did, but the only way I could get it was to buy and LE which was 'way too much more money. I did add the big mirrors to mine through an aftermarket store, however. The dealer wanted to charge me $1000. Give me a break... :rolleyes:

Steamguy
I got mine with Little Tow for my 22 foot trailer because I'm going to use it more for daily transport then towing a trailer. See Sig for trailer.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Steamguy said:
We have a 26J. Great, tough trailer. Stands right up to our bad back roads. Took a trip to the coast a few weeks ago. Lots of 5% - 6% grades. Truck only had 2300 miles on it so I didn't floorboard it. We did the hills in fine style, never going below about 50, not even holding the gas more than 3/4 of the way down. Gas mileage was about 11, which is what I would expect.

And I do not have the Big Tow package on the truck. Wish I did, but the only way I could get it was to buy and LE which was 'way too much more money. I did add the big mirrors to mine through an aftermarket store, however. The dealer wanted to charge me $1000. Give me a break...
Wow, pulling a 26J without the tow package. You're definitely a brave one, but I'm glad to see another satisfied towing experience. We love our 22H...the build quality from Northwood is absolutely amazing. I'm guessing the 26J is around 6,500-7,000 lbs fully loaded?

Happy camping,
Karl

·
Registered
489 Posts
I dont mean too discredit any truck. Titan or My Hemi! In my opinion you are too close too the line too be playing lb games with what truck you like. At the pulling weight your talking Be safe, and get a diesel. Why take the chance. The 5k diference will kill you if you make the wrong decision. Sure both trucks will pull it, but you wont be happy with that much weight on the back, and it will only hurt the truck cause of lack of heavy duty shock/suspension. Hate me if you want too, But 7k lbs regularly a deisel is needed. Sure short term fine, but regular. No way!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
karlconnell said:
Wow, pulling a 26J without the tow package. You're definitely a brave one, but I'm glad to see another satisfied towing experience. We love our 22H...the build quality from Northwood is absolutely amazing. I'm guessing the 26J is around 6,500-7,000 lbs fully loaded?

Happy camping,
Karl
Karl,

The 26J is not too much for this truck. It weighs just under 6500# fully loaded for two weeks out.

Don't call me brave, but instead cautious and well-researched:

I'm not worried about the truck's ability to handle the load. I have towed with a lot of different cars and trucks, and the Titan has everything that you need for a good tow vehicle: A long-enough wheelbase, strong engine and powertrain (Nissan!) good brakes, good tire/wheel combination, good shocks on the SE (which we have) a strong frame and attachment points to the powertrain. All add up to very good stability with the trailer attached.

I also would NOT EVER tow without some kind of sway cancelling system. I have a Reese Twin Cam system and it works extremely well. If I had to, I would go to the Hensley Arrow for this truck, but in the time I have been out with it, it doesn't appear to need it. I can qualify that by telling you that I live in the Columbia River Gorge where all those fierce winds are.

I used to have a Ram 3500 dually, and it was a great truck (but slow in comparison to the Titan SE!!) but my wife is mobility limited and she could not get into it any more. I'm an old-fashioned 'car nut' and was a Journeyman mechanic in a past life. I was 'The Foreign Car Guy' at our shop and so got to see a lot of different stuff.

When you look at the trans/axle/frame, it appears to be the same rear axle, as far as bearing surfaces and carrying abilty go. It just appears to be a good old-fashioned regear so that it's not so hard on the rest of the powertrain when pulling at max load. I am willing to stand corrected if anyone has the specs. (and please don't flame me; I am just giving you my best opinion, and am always interested in the truth.) :huh:

The truck will pull the trailer; it has plenty of towing and braking ability. The brakes are the same on both Big Tow and regular trucks; this is where I am cautious as can be. My 26J is serviced and inspected at regular intervals to make sure that it can apply all the braking power it can. I have a great brake controller and have it set so that the trailer does its share of braking. If you have ever towed a big, long load then you know how important that can be.

The only thing I would possibly miss about the Big Tow package is maybe the dynamics system to sense a "bad" situation. That might be nice to get me back out of trouble that I shouldn't have been in, in the first place. :teethmast

As to the trailer, it is fabulous. We had a Prowler with a slideout for a few years and grew to hate it. Our Arctic Fox 26J has no slide and we just love it. We actually ordered this one after seeing one on the lot; we wanted different colors and a real table and chairs instead of the dinette. We go camping in all weathers and have a great time no matter how bad it is outside - we live in the Northwest, where you have to take the weather as it comes!
:cheers:

I hope this answers your questions; we truly believe we made the right decision with the Titan. It is far and away a better truck than those others that we evaluated.

Steamguy

1 - 20 of 98 Posts