Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put these in and when I tested them they worked fine. Tonight I took a ride to check them out and they took like 5 minutes to come on. I varied slightly from the instructions, I omitted the Hella switch and tapped the factory fog light directly so that the turn signal stalk switch would turn on all 4 lights. What could be causing the delay? Bad grounds? Do the factory fogs step down from 12volt so the relay isn't seeing enough voltage to trip?

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
The only safe way to run these from the same control, is to still use a Relay. Otherwise, your adding load to the OEM Circuit. That can't be recommended. It's an additional 18-20 Amps if each lamp is a 55 Watt bulb. OEM is about a 6 Amp load (35 watt bulb in each light), so a total of 24-26 Amps is now drawn through the OEM Circuit. I don't recall Fuse size of that circuit.

Tap the OEM, run it to trigger the new Relay. Get power direct from battery to supply the Relay. No need to risk blowing fuses unneccessarily in the future, or running the wires at the edge of capability to handle the current. You'll be happier in the long run. You can mount a relay at the corner of the battery, up on the Radiator framework. Quick install. Short distance wiring. Add a Fuse In-Line of Course.

I don't know why it would take 5 minutes to turn on, unless there is actually a loose ground or hot wire somewhere, that eventualy arced and made good contact. Wire nutted connections will do this sometimes, even though people think it all looked good when assembled. I solder 99% of what i do.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The factory fog run a 12v bulb, so that shouldn't be a concern. I would try the lights while stopped, then moving. If the lights work fine stopped, but not moving, you have a loose wire.

When you turn the fogs on can you hear the relay click when you turn the fog switch on and off? If the relay triggers reliably you may have a wiring issue at the lights.

Since the Hellas aren't HID they should fire right up when they get power. Five minutes to power up sounds to me like a relay issue more then anything.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blue,
I am running through the Hella relay I checked the grounds and connections and everything looks ok, I didn't solder the connections you're right that really is the way to go. They seem to be working normally today.

Truwrecks,
I will look closer at the relay, it was cold last night when I had the problem and the temp may have exagerated the problem in a weak relay.
I wish they were HID's I just can't afford that much for lights I may have to upgrade the bulbs to Silverstars or something I just need to find a replacement bulb that fits the factory fogs.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
redpickemuptruck said:
Blue,
I am running through the Hella relay I checked the grounds and connections and everything looks ok, I didn't solder the connections you're right that really is the way to go. They seem to be working normally today.

Truwrecks,
I will look closer at the relay, it was cold last night when I had the problem and the temp may have exagerated the problem in a weak relay.
I wish they were HID's I just can't afford that much for lights I may have to upgrade the bulbs to Silverstars or something I just need to find a replacement bulb that fits the factory fogs.
I use a Silverstar 895 which is a 50 Watt Lamp, in my OEM Fogs. (No Silverstar Ultra is available.) OEM is about a 37 Watt. Increased Amperage is not enough to worry about.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd really like to match the color of the SS Ultras I'm running. What about soldering a SS ultra lamp from a H3 assembly to the 899 balast? I'm annoyed that I can't find a bright white bulb in that size.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
redpickemuptruck said:
I'd really like to match the color of the SS Ultras I'm running. What about soldering a SS ultra lamp from a H3 assembly to the 899 balast? I'm annoyed that I can't find a bright white bulb in that size.
I have Ultras in my Hi and Lo. I find the color match to be fine with the SS in the OEM Fogs. Maybe others are pickier about color than I am. I'd never bother taking apart a $50 set of lamps and putting it another bulb. More important tings to do than that. Try them, see what you think, before Modding them.

Look forward to your opinion on this. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll try it... has to be an improvement over stock and the stock Hella bulbs are really yellow. They need to be changed out also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts