Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed two Hella 500ff lights in my lower grill of my 2011 pro4x. I have a couple questions.

First, Do most people leave the black air dam in there? I have to keep the front plate so I couldnt use the upper holes to mount upside down. I used the two outer holes for the air dam instead. Will this effect my cooling ability? I really only tow a couple times a year, but thats usually in the winter. It consistently gets in the upper 90's and 100's here in the summer though.

It looks like some people were able to get their lights on the front side of the license plate and use the upper holes. I don't see how this is possible...are chrome bumper and pro-4x bumpers different?

Second, while the light put out is pretty good...I always want more. I saw on hella's webite they have a 70watt bulb. Anyone try this. I don't really want to re-wire everything for 100 watt bulbs. Any other options out there?

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Where's all the people with lights up front?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I just installed two Hella 500ff lights in my lower grill of my 2011 pro4x. I have a couple questions.

First, Do most people leave the black air dam in there? I have to keep the front plate so I couldnt use the upper holes to mount upside down. I used the two outer holes for the air dam instead. Will this effect my cooling ability? I really only tow a couple times a year, but thats usually in the winter. It consistently gets in the upper 90's and 100's here in the summer though.

It looks like some people were able to get their lights on the front side of the license plate and use the upper holes. I don't see how this is possible...are chrome bumper and pro-4x bumpers different?

Second, while the light put out is pretty good...I always want more. I saw on hella's webite they have a 70watt bulb. Anyone try this. I don't really want to re-wire everything for 100 watt bulbs. Any other options out there?

Thanks,
Sean

I actually had all four lights in the grill at one time until I was hit by some fool pulling out of a gas station. With the four lights installed I had to yank out the black plastic grill and drill the holes to make the lights fit. When they were there I had no cooling problems what so ever. Oh I have a chrome grill by the way.

Now I just have 3 lights mounted upside down so I could keep the black plastic grill. No cooling problems at all, as far as light bulbs go I can't say because I have not changed them from stock. As you said they are already bright and I am actually thinking of changing the bulbs to a yellow bulb so I don't blind people while night driving or rain driving.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually had all four lights in the grill at one time until I was hit by some fool pulling out of a gas station. With the four lights installed I had to yank out the black plastic grill and drill the holes to make the lights fit. When they were there I had no cooling problems what so ever. Oh I have a chrome grill by the way.

Now I just have 3 lights mounted upside down so I could keep the black plastic grill. No cooling problems at all, as far as light bulbs go I can't say because I have not changed them from stock. As you said they are already bright and I am actually thinking of changing the bulbs to a yellow bulb so I don't blind people while night driving or rain driving.
Do you have a close up pic of your mounts? Did you have to trim the grill? My lights hit the middle plastic part of the grill and they hit the license plate (when I try to use the outer upper holes of the grill). Ill try and get a pic closer up so that I can compare. It just seems like the chrome grill must be slightly different.

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
979 Posts
Do you have a close up pic of your mounts? Did you have to trim the grill? My lights hit the middle plastic part of the grill and they hit the license plate (when I try to use the outer upper holes of the grill). Ill try and get a pic closer up so that I can compare. It just seems like the chrome grill must be slightly different.

Thanks,
Sean
Ive got all 4 hella 500s mounted in the lower grille. They arnt centered well. Currently im working on a braket to mount all four centered up to down left to right and allow you to maintain th factory license plate bracket. Once i get it down ill be selling them. Look at sig for lower grille lights.

-Dave

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you remove the plastic grill? Looks like you bedlined the bumper also...was it chrome or are you pro4x?

·
Registered
2,710 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts

Thanks,
Sean
Sorry I am at work right now and I did not have to trim the grill to put the lights in, but I also don't have the license plate bracket on there either. When I had four of them in there it was very hard to line up as well with the holes, that's why I went to three lights after being in an accident.

Forget that old technology and get some HID lights or LED's :eyebrow:

This is one 30" LED light bar :eyebrow:

This is two very small 2"X 2" 10 watt LED spots :teethmast

VisionX Solstice Solo LED Lights - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

Awesome.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Did you remove the plastic grill? Looks like you bedlined the bumper also...was it chrome or are you pro4x?
I trimmed the plastic grille, if you cut the center bars out you can still use the outer part of it. See attached pic. I bed lined everything, it was chrome before though. The light bar i'm designing mounts to factory holes and allows you to mount up to 4 lights. You can mount up to 4 without that bar but they arnt centered very good and you cant use your factory plate bracket thats how i have mine mounted now.

-Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
626 Posts
I trimmed the plastic grille, if you cut the center bars out you can still use the outer part of it. See attached pic. I bed lined everything, it was chrome before though. The light bar i'm designing mounts to factory holes and allows you to mount up to 4 lights. You can mount up to 4 without that bar but they arnt centered very good and you cant use your factory plate bracket thats how i have mine mounted now.

-Dave
You don't need to cut the lower grille insert, nor do you need to remove the front license plate (if you are mounting the 500's "upside down":
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/electrical-wiring/129759-hella-500-triple-mount-questions.html

I can aim the 500's too far down even with the lower grille intact. I just hogged out the holes a little and I use the 500's mounts to replace the plastic clips that were along the top 3 points (I'm still waiting for my middle 500 to arrive)

I'm modifiying my 500's stone covers to fit "right side up" on my "upside down" lights.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Forget that old technology and get some HID lights or LED's :eyebrow:

This is one 30" LED light bar :eyebrow:

This is two very small 2"X 2" 10 watt LED spots :teethmast

VisionX Solstice Solo LED Lights - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

The LED lights are awesome, but be prepared for the cost.....:ftard:

I thought about getting the 20" LED light bar for mine. Price was $700....20" "E" Series LED Light Bar

If money is no object, then by all means get the LED bar. I still want one myself....:teeth:

·
Registered
626 Posts
LED light bars have no beam control. Hence why the website doesn't have beam shots. Expensive and unable to use on public roads.

When they come out with optically controlled LED lights that have a useful beam pattern, then I'm in.

Although the LED bar would be cool off-road.....

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah those LED's are sweet, but about 5 times as much as the lights I have. I used my autozone rewards to get the hellas.
Is there a LED bulb that fits the hellas? Maybe Armaden can find one...but the reflector might not work with the LED's.

Im gonna have to double check trying to fit those in with the grill. It looks like the holes are closer to the edge of the bumper on the chrome bumper.

I figured out the license plate problem though. The guy who did it in TurboDA6's link does not have the off-road skid plate. So my plate is mounted on the skid plate and is over an inch further out. I might be able to mount the plate a little lower to clear. I think it looks better with that lower grill in there.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where's all the people with lights up front...(specifically Hella 500ff's in the front lower grill)?

haha, there I fixed it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Where's all the people with lights up front...(specifically Hella 500ff's in the front lower grill)?

haha, there I fixed it.
Sorry I'm :ftard: and misread your post as being
why are you all putting lights on the front
That's what happens when I run all day on 3hrs of sleep. (exits forum and faceplants on cot in office).

·
Registered
979 Posts
You don't need to cut the lower grille insert, nor do you need to remove the front license plate (if you are mounting the 500's "upside down":
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/electrical-wiring/129759-hella-500-triple-mount-questions.html

I can aim the 500's too far down even with the lower grille intact. I just hogged out the holes a little and I use the 500's mounts to replace the plastic clips that were along the top 3 points (I'm still waiting for my middle 500 to arrive)

I'm modifiying my 500's stone covers to fit "right side up" on my "upside down" lights.
I mounted 4 dude

·
Registered
626 Posts
I mounted 4 dude

Yeah dude I was at work and couldn't see the pics, now I know OP used the lower mount holes.

I like that way too, and yeah you'd need to trim out the bars from the lower grille. I actually have 4 500's and more than enough wiring capacity, I may go with 4 mounted like yours. I would just want the inner two centered up a bit better. I gotta size it up to see if I can just re-drill a more evenly spaced set of center holes.
I'd also like to do 2 fog and 2 driving pattern 500's.........

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
The LED lights are awesome, but be prepared for the cost.....:ftard:

I thought about getting the 20" LED light bar for mine. Price was $700....20" "E" Series LED Light Bar

If money is no object, then by all means get the LED bar. I still want one myself....:teeth:
I bought a 32" Phantom Lighting bar with the outer 6 rows flood beam and euro in the center to light up the first 150 ft. And 3 Hella 4000 spots with 35watt HID conversion's and internal ballast to project out past that. Also 3 Vision X Solstice single 10watt spot beam to aim out the 3 holes in my skid plate to use as auxiliary driving lights on the hwy.

Email Brent at Phantom Lighting he will give you a great deal on lighting from HID to LED. Great guy to do business with.
Phantom Lighting - LED Lighting for Off Road, Marine, Industrial, Construction, Commercial & Military

·
Registered
979 Posts
Yeah dude I was at work and couldn't see the pics, now I know OP used the lower mount holes.

I like that way too, and yeah you'd need to trim out the bars from the lower grille. I actually have 4 500's and more than enough wiring capacity, I may go with 4 mounted like yours. I would just want the inner two centered up a bit better. I gotta size it up to see if I can just re-drill a more evenly spaced set of center holes.
I'd also like to do 2 fog and 2 driving pattern 500's.........
There isnt enough meat in the tabs to dril them out any more for sspacing

1 - 20 of 21 Posts