Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, so after all of my performance mods and the BDGT tune I have developed a bit of axle wrap from a stop...

Used search function here (works great BTW) and saw others that had these on their Titans for many years now with no issues to speak of other than the one from up north and had all the red powder coating rusted off from 5 winters of salted roads lol...

Installation is pretty straight forward here with these helper springs...I did have the advantage of using 2 bays at the car craft shop on post, one with ramps and the other with arms...

I used the bay with arms first as the instructions say to lift the vehicle to the point where the back wheels almost leave the ground.

EDIT:
I re-installed the Traction Control Springs so that the forward end is now clear of the leaf clamp pack. I tightened the rear side down completely and added the extra bolt. then lowered the T and tightened down the forward side completely and added the extra bolt.

So I went out in town after words and did some stoplight tests. I am very impressed!!! the axle wrap that was present before the Traction Control Springs is gone!!! I could not get it to axle wrap at all no matter what I did...

Now I realize these may not be for the weekend track gurus, but for every one else like me who is mainly daily driving these are a must if you have any axle wrap going on at all...

I also noticed that the rear-end seems a bit more stable (sure footed) too. It did not effect the suspension ride at all IMO either...

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
great write up. I wonder how these compare to traction bars?

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
I had to do a few forum searches to find a pic of the regular duty traction springs installed an a 2010 Titan. IMO, you need to move the traction springs forward a couple of inches to get them off the OEM spring clip. They need to be tightened solidly to the top of the leaf and not on a rubber cushion. Here is a pic of the regular set on a 2010 Titan, and I totally agree with his installation location. On a different note, I installed my HD set without jacking up my Titan. The installation instructions back then didn't say anything about relaxing the leafs before tightening the clamp. I did re-tighten them after a 100 miles or so, and they easily took a few more turns. To get the full effectiveness, the Hellwig V groove has to be in solid contact with the top leaf.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
this guy did it IAW the instructions, see how he has a gap on the front side:
HOW TO: Traction Spring Installation (MMP) - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
Well like I said earlier, my instructions had no mention about jacking up the truck during installation, but that was 5 years ago. I have the longer HD set and maybe that is why. If you mount them with the truck sitting normally on the ground, I don't see why that is any kind of problem. The traction spring stops the forward area from flexing up, and securing them in the normal sitting position makes sense to me.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well like I said earlier, my instructions had no mention about jacking up the truck during installation, but that was 5 years ago. I have the longer HD set and maybe that is why. If you mount them with the truck sitting normally on the ground, I don't see why that is any kind of problem. The traction spring stops the forward area from flexing up, and securing them in the normal sitting position makes sense to me.
ya, i hear ya...if the instructions are still in the box I threw away ill snap a pic of them and post it here...

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
No need to post the instructions, I believe you. That Titan link I posted says he used the regular set. My HD set went from the axle block all the way to the two leaf springs. Others have returned the HD springs on the later model Titans because they can't be fitted properly. Here's a couple pics of mine:

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No need to post the instructions, I believe you. That Titan link I posted says he used the regular set. My HD set went from the axle block all the way to the two leaf springs. Others have returned the HD springs on the later model Titans because they can't be fitted properly. Here's a couple pics of mine:

good thing i listened to you and canceled the HDs lol

ill update tomorrow on the forward placement of these...thx again!

·
Premium Member
4,915 Posts
NICE! I really want to get a set of these! I already have traction bars, but I wanted to see if these helpers springs would help even more with traction.

They look really simple to install for sure.

I was toying with the idea of trying out the Roadmaster Active suspension and using these Hellwig traction springs along with traction bars lol... that would be a lot of traction mods. However I truly think with just my traction bars and the addition of the hellwig traction springs it would be enough.

Plus anyone else have any review of these traction springs who already have traction bars?

What kind of price can i expect to pay for these?

·
Registered
6,823 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,915 Posts
man i really want to get some of those! Its amazing how that lil red inverted leaf spring can eliminate axle wrap, I mean even with traction bars you will still have some minor axle wrap, but with the addition of these traction springs I bet my Titan will hook up even better.

Did you say these helped with body roll/lean in. I know it was night and day difference in the way the rear of the titan felt after my traction bars, it just felt more solid with barely any body roll.

·
Registered
208 Posts
looks good, i had to do this as well and it helped out a TONE. i had to do ut some on the fron and the back of the axle.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
How is the ride? Did it stiffen up any?

Still pulling 1.8 60' times with the $22 (Now $32) traction spring mod.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
man i really want to get some of those! Its amazing how that lil red inverted leaf spring can eliminate axle wrap, I mean even with traction bars you will still have some minor axle wrap, but with the addition of these traction springs I bet my Titan will hook up even better.

Did you say these helped with body roll/lean in. I know it was night and day difference in the way the rear of the titan felt after my traction bars, it just felt more solid with barely any body roll.
i do feel a bit less roll in the corners, however i plan on picking up a hellwig sway bar for the rear to tighten things up a bit more...
looks good, i had to do this as well and it helped out a TONE. i had to do ut some on the fron and the back of the axle.
thx
How is the ride? Did it stiffen up any?

Still pulling 1.8 60' times with the $22 (Now $32) traction spring mod.
as far as the ride goes i don't feel a difference. the difference is from a stop, the rear end feels firmer where as before it felt soft from a go.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
I have the cheapo auto parts store version also + a Helwig RSB. The Helwig RSB is great, it really helps in the corners!!! ...but i still have axle wrap & its annoying as hell!!! I can feel it every time i stop & go. I believe it might have caused the demise of my carrier bearing also..

Helwig RSB:

My next big mod is definitely going to be a set of traction bars!!!!!!

PRG ;)

Reactions: nightowl
1 - 20 of 80 Posts