Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
2012 SL, Texas Edition, Big Tow, Blizzard white, Tastefully modded (in my own expert opinion, lol)!
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my 2012 SL, I was so excited! Then I started hearing and feeling the "clunk" in the rear. My first thought was, "oh crap, did I buy a truck with a transmission problem?" After some research on this forum, I found out that is was a well-known problem with Titans: axle wrap. After a little more research, I ordered a set of Hellwig 2002 Traction Control Springs from Amazon for $76. (Amazon's vehicle fit feature says these won't fit, but they are, in fact, the correct springs.)

I received them a few days ago, but waited for my day off today to install them. Well, installation took less than 30 minutes from pulling the truck into the garage to taking a test drive. They're that easy to install. As for how they work...

OMG!!! The difference is AMAZING! Absolutely no hint of the annoying clunk, no matter how hard I get on the brakes or the gas! The silence is almost deafening! It actually seems weird to not have the persistent clunk as I drive.

WHAT THE HELL, NISSAN?!? If I can fix this problem with $76 and 30 minutes, SURELY you can engineer a rear suspension that doesn't need this damn fix in the first place! I love my Titan, but you guys SUCK for allowing this issue to continue year after year on an otherwise great truck. (OK, I feel a little better now.)

Seriously y'all! If you are having the rear end clunk, install the Hellwig springs without delay. You will be amazed at how easily and well it fixes the problem. If you've been putting up with the clunk for a while, you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner.

Registered
Nice! Glad to hear this.

I used to do a LOT of drag racing with my T and I used to run the traction helper springs also. Mine were the $26 cheapo ones, but they def helped.

Only thing is the bolts that secure them to the leaf springs would come loose and they would squeak when it rained. So I would have to re-tighten them every once in a while, but that's no biggie.

Later on down the road I upgraded to a set of PRG Street Traction Bars I bought from another TT Member.

These trucks are TQ Monsters and definitely can use some help in the rear axle wrap dept. 馃榿馃憤

Registered
When I bought my 2012 SL, I was so excited! Then I started hearing and feeling the "clunk" in the rear. My first thought was, "oh crap, did I buy a truck with a transmission problem?" After some research on this forum, I found out that is was a well-known problem with Titans: axle wrap. After a little more research, I ordered a set of Hellwig 2002 Traction Control Springs from Amazon for $76. (Amazon's vehicle fit feature says these won't fit, but they are, in fact, the correct springs.)

I received them a few days ago, but waited for my day off today to install them. Well, installation took less than 30 minutes from pulling the truck into the garage to taking a test drive. They're that easy to install. As for how they work...

OMG!!! The difference is AMAZING! Absolutely no hint of the annoying clunk, no matter how hard I get on the brakes or the gas! The silence is almost deafening! It actually seems weird to not have the persistent clunk as I drive.

WHAT THE HELL, NISSAN?!? If I can fix this problem with $76 and 30 minutes, SURELY you can engineer a rear suspension that doesn't need this damn fix in the first place! I love my Titan, but you guys SUCK for allowing this issue to continue year after year on an otherwise great truck. (OK, I feel a little better now.)

Seriously y'all! If you are having the rear end clunk, install the Hellwig springs without delay. You will be amazed at how easily and well it fixes the problem. If you've been putting up with the clunk for a while, you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner.
Anyone know if those will fit 06 crewcab?

Registered
Had mine for years and it's been clunking again back there. Guess I should snug them up.

The bolts for mine were very close to the rear brake line on the driver side so I wrapped the bolt and brake line with electrical tape. Just something to keep an eye on.

Registered
2012 SL, Texas Edition, Big Tow, Blizzard white, Tastefully modded (in my own expert opinion, lol)!
Discussion Starter #7
I moved mine forward about 1/2 inch, just to make sure they wouldn't hit the brake lines. I supose it wouldn't be a bad idea to make retorquing the bolts an annual maintenance item.

Registered
2004 Titan SE 4x4 Big Tow
How tight are you guys making your fasteners? I went absolute gorilla on mine and might have bent the washers. Curious what it should be.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I cranked the rear ones pretty tight, then the jam nuts as well, of course. I left about a 3/8" gap at the front, so it's the jam nuts that are holding that end snug.

Registered
When I had my helper springs yrs ago I put double nuts on each end of all the U-bolts. That helped keep them tight. 馃挕

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
When I had my helper springs yrs ago I put double nuts on each end of all the U-bolts. That helped keep them tight. 馃挕
My kit came with double nuts for all points. I don't know if earlier or other kits did, too. I can't imagine them loosening up very quickly, as tight as they are torqued.

Registered
2004 Titan SE 4x4 Big Tow
I cranked the rear ones pretty tight, then the jam nuts as well, of course. I left about a 3/8" gap at the front, so it's the jam nuts that are holding that end snug.
I loosened my nuts (nice) to your advice and I think you fixed my axle wrap again. Rides better too. Thanks man!

Reactions: Warhammer

Registered
Yezzirrr jus threw mine on today...my rear end is so dreamy now 馃グ also my kit came with torque specs. (40-45 ft-lbs on the 7/16 u-bolt) i went with the max fersher...i also cleaned my maf sensor, and did a ecu reset including all the relearn procedures...it literally feels like i had a whole *** tune up today!! 馃憡馃槑 imma happy camper!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts