Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I’m shopping for a first gen Titan and am currently looking at 3 trucks and hoped y’all would have some thoughts. Budget is <13K. 4x4 is a must, CC ideal but KC workable. Ideal would be Pro-4X, but price and condition are primary. I’d want at least 60K miles out of it. Anything that you think I should know or consider between these trucks (details below) would help! Thanks!

1. 2010 XE w/popular equipment pkg, KC, 117K miles, cosmetically immaculate in and out, heat doesn’t work (AC does), driver rear door won’t open (loose cable?), 1 owner local vehicle, $12K.
2. 2009 XE CC, 75K, more visible wear & tear, some rust spots, 2 owner (not sure where it lived — haven’t gotten the CarFax yet), $12K.
3. 2008 Pro-4X CC, 150K, decent wear inside and a few rust spots on body, 3 owners, $10K and it’s 4 hours from where I live, so harder to evaluate.

·
Registered
942 Posts
2009 looks like the best bet. Get a independent assessment done to determine overall condition. Expect to pay $200-300 for a full written report.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2009 looks like the best bet. Get a independent assessment done to determine overall condition. Expect to pay $200-300 for a full written report.
Yeah, that’s the way I am leaning, too. I am going to test drive the 09 later today. It doesn’t have VDC — is that a big deal?

·
Registered
942 Posts
VDC is helpful if you are driving or towing on slick roads at times. Looking at your budget and current choices, I recommend you wait for some better options. If not a Pro-4X, at least try for a SE model to get away from the plasticy XE basic interior.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VDC is helpful if you are driving or towing on slick roads at times. Looking at your budget and current choices, I recommend you wait for some better options. If not a Pro-4X, at least try for a SE model to get away from the plasticy XE basic interior.
Ok, yeah, that’s what I thought as far as VDC. It’s often wet, muddy, or snowy where I live, so that’s probably a good idea. And fortunately I don’t need a vehicle right away so I can afford to wait. I’ll keep my appointment to see this 09 just for kicks, and I’ll post what I think of it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should add, the interior isn’t a huge deal. In fact, the easier to spray/wipe down the better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man, vehicles with rust spots are just asking for trouble.
Just wait or up the budget, you get a rusty truck and you’ll regret it quickly.
Yeah. I’ve tried convincing my better half that we should spend a little more now and be happier later, but she’s real into counting the pennies.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It’s not just being happier. You’re going to spend more money. If the body is rusty then other things are corroded.
stay away from that first truck too many things wrong means it definitely was not properly maintained.
The last one, 150K is a lot of miles man. Asking for 60k more is a lot on that transmission. Motor will make it most likely but 200k on a transmission is unlikely, much less the gears, diffs, transfer case and so on.

where are you located?

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
While I agree that the three you've presented aren't ones I'd strongly consider, I'll offer a different perspective on the Titan transmission and motor. A well-cared for Titan drivetrain will run for a very long time. Like, 250k+ is not unrealistic. Modern drivetrains (the good ones) are very capable of running that many miles. There are a number of guys on this board who've put 300k on their Titans without major drivetrain incident, and there are probably a few dozen with 225k+ on their original engine/trans combo. So I wouldn't let a 150k truck dissuade me. I would stay away from rusty trucks, even if it means traveling to look and buy. Rust is the one thing for which there is no real cure (that's why they call it metal cancer), and once you have a rusty truck, you have ongoing issues with corrosion everywhere, as Buttah said above.

You should be able to shop around, take your time, and find a decent Titan with the features you want and a good level of mileage, for your budget. You just have to be ready when the opportunity comes along. And if you live in a rust-prone area, consider buying from somewhere else. A quick check locally shows me there are two trucks within 40mi of my house, under 165k miles, in 4x4, which appear to be in good shape. Obviously that's just a brief scan of Facebook Marketplace with "Nissan Titan" as my search criteria, and I weeded out all the trucks with obvious body and paint damage, and higher miles. Both of these trucks are well under your 13k price point, as well. Only downside is mileage, but realistically, if the trucks check out (a mechanic checkout is your best option on a used truck) either might go the distance for you. I suspect there are options nearer to you than northern Alabama where I live, but if you do some looking, you'll find what you want.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I won’t argue with dubyam on the drivetrain, he’s been around and seen more than me. A well cared for truck could do that I imagine.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
And it's not just Titans. My brother just rebuilt his tranny in a 2005 Chevy Colorado at 285k, and we traded my wife's 2004 Expedition with no mechanical issues at 240k. Treat them right, change the fluids, and don't overheat them, and they will show you the love. Except Chrysler transmissions. Pretty good for 70-90k then something major. Seen it a ton.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yea I can tell you just as many stories of Ford & Chevy transmissions going out after 100k. Nowhere near as bad as Chrysler, How they’ve never figured out a transmission is beyond me. The other thing is with the Chevy’s you always seemed to be able to do a relatively good, inexpensive rebuild. Ford and Chrysler you always seemed to be better off to buy a remaned one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, guys. So at this point I’m not going for any of the current crop. For #1 above, the truck was probably cared for cosmetically but I get the feeling the first owner drove it hard and then traded it when it started going wrong. #2, the dealer ultimately canceled my appointment and told me they had discovered more damage and wouldn’t sell it. And #3, the mileage scares me enough that I’m not willing to make an 8-hour round trip just to see it.

I’m in central WV, so a lot of the local trucks get rusty and everyone is broke, so they don’t get maintained real well usually. And we’re 3 hours from any real metro area.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Hi all,
I’m shopping for a first gen Titan and am currently looking at 3 trucks and hoped y’all would have some thoughts. Budget is
1. 2010 XE w/popular equipment pkg, KC, 117K miles, cosmetically immaculate in and out, heat doesn’t work (AC does), driver rear door won’t open (loose cable?), 1 owner local vehicle, $12K.
2. 2009 XE CC, 75K, more visible wear & tear, some rust spots, 2 owner (not sure where it lived — haven’t gotten the CarFax yet), $12K.
3. 2008 Pro-4X CC, 150K, decent wear inside and a few rust spots on body, 3 owners, $10K and it’s 4 hours from where I live, so harder to evaluate.
The 2009 with 75,000 still have 5,000 miles for the manifold warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
942 Posts
Read the post just above yours^^^ and you'll see the OP has already been dissuaded of the '09 XE by the dealer that was selling it. More damage revealed than just manifold gaskets.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: the dealer with the 2010 XE fixed the broken heat exchanger (but not the door) and dropped the price to $11K out the door when I told him no thanks. I said I’d call him tomorrow.

Meanwhile, a mechanic friend of mine is offering to sell me a 2013 F-150 STX 4x4 SuperCab in my favorite color, with 94K, for $15K. My wife wants that truck.

What do y’all think, buy one of the above or keep looking?

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
If the F150 is in good shape, you and your wife both like it, and it's a fair price, it might not be a bad idea. Wife liking truck = fewer headaches about having truck.

I like my Titan better, but Ford makes a good truck. I looked at F150s when I was shopping back in 2011, but couldn't get anything close to the options I have on my Titan for less than about $10k more money. That's a lot of money. Even when gas was $4 a gallon, it would have taken me well close to 120k miles and 8yrs of driving to save the initial cost difference by better MPG in the Ford. And that's assuming the Ford got 21mpg average. Since I own a 2017 Expedition (my wife's) with the EcoBoost V6, and know it really averages about 17 around town, the real timeline would have been closer to 16yrs and 246k miles to break even on the gas savings versus the added cost. And with gas down where it's been the last few years, that time will double. I like my wife's Expy. Her 2004 Expy was great, too (240k miles, less than $2k in repairs to the truck). So if you like the Ford, and it's a good deal (haven't checked their value lately), and the condition on this one is good, hard to say it would be a bad truck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If the F150 is in good shape, you and your wife both like it, and it's a fair price, it might not be a bad idea. Wife liking truck = fewer headaches about having truck.

I like my Titan better, but Ford makes a good truck. I looked at F150s when I was shopping back in 2011, but couldn't get anything close to the options I have on my Titan for less than about $10k more money. That's a lot of money. Even when gas was $4 a gallon, it would have taken me well close to 120k miles and 8yrs of driving to save the initial cost difference by better MPG in the Ford. And that's assuming the Ford got 21mpg average. Since I own a 2017 Expedition (my wife's) with the EcoBoost V6, and know it really averages about 17 around town, the real timeline would have been closer to 16yrs and 246k miles to break even on the gas savings versus the added cost. And with gas down where it's been the last few years, that time will double. I like my wife's Expy. Her 2004 Expy was great, too (240k miles, less than $2k in repairs to the truck). So if you like the Ford, and it's a good deal (haven't checked their value lately), and the condition on this one is good, hard to say it would be a bad truck.
Agree about the wife liking it. She’s always pointed out F-150s and told me I should get one like that. And I do like it. It has the 5.0 Coyote V8. Seems like they’re going for around 17-18 plus TTL at local dealers.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Sounds like you're leaning towards the F150 and can't blame you. But I thought the budget was only $13K max? Or was that only for a Nissan?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts