Nissan Titan Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all,
I’m shopping for a first gen Titan and am currently looking at 3 trucks and hoped y’all would have some thoughts. Budget is <13K. 4x4 is a must, CC ideal but KC workable. Ideal would be Pro-4X, but price and condition are primary. I’d want at least 60K miles out of it. Anything that you think I should know or consider between these trucks (details below) would help! Thanks!

1. 2010 XE w/popular equipment pkg, KC, 117K miles, cosmetically immaculate in and out, heat doesn’t work (AC does), driver rear door won’t open (loose cable?), 1 owner local vehicle, $12K.
2. 2009 XE CC, 75K, more visible wear & tear, some rust spots, 2 owner (not sure where it lived — haven’t gotten the CarFax yet), $12K.
3. 2008 Pro-4X CC, 150K, decent wear inside and a few rust spots on body, 3 owners, $10K and it’s 4 hours from where I live, so harder to evaluate.
I just traded my 2011 Pro4x. It’s close to mint. Never beaten. Search Keeler Albany NY preowned. They’re asking 16.5 K$ I’m sure they’ll dicker. I’ve been proactive on fluids. Complete changes @ 40k. Brake fluids drained every 20k. Truck needs nothing. Surprised they didn’t list the Rockford
Hi all,
I’m shopping for a first gen Titan and am currently looking at 3 trucks and hoped y’all would have some thoughts. Budget is <13K. 4x4 is a must, CC ideal but KC workable. Ideal would be Pro-4X, but price and condition are primary. I’d want at least 60K miles out of it. Anything that you think I should know or consider between these trucks (details below) would help! Thanks!

1. 2010 XE w/popular equipment pkg, KC, 117K miles, cosmetically immaculate in and out, heat doesn’t work (AC does), driver rear door won’t open (loose cable?), 1 owner local vehicle, $12K.
2. 2009 XE CC, 75K, more visible wear & tear, some rust spots, 2 owner (not sure where it lived — haven’t gotten the CarFax yet), $12K.
3. 2008 Pro-4X CC, 150K, decent wear inside and a few rust spots on body, 3 owners, $10K and it’s 4 hours from where I live, so harder to evaluate.
Hi all,

[/QUOTE

I just recently traded in a 2011 Pro4X in really very good condition. Not sure if upstate NY is too far for you. They’re pretty much asking what they gave me for it. $16.500 - I got $16 on a trade for 2018 X5.
Google Keeler Albany NY - Preowned. It’s nice enough that they kept to sell in lieu of shipping to auction. Only rust is a small spot driving me crazy for two years. It’s under the plastic cover on the passenger corner of rear bumper. Only about 1/4”, I’ve religiously cleaned and daubed with paint. It isn’t spreading. I was contemplating having the bumper cover removed and repaint the bumper but hadn’t done it before trading it in.
New Cajun Exhaust 6 months ago. Underside looks like new. Always washed and waxed weekly or more. Air Raid CAI, Bully Dog, Leveling Kit with 1”lift. Bilstein 5100’s, Remote start, Upsized Cooper tires. Rockford Fosgate. Interior like new. I’m a stickler for fluid changes and its been fed synthetic since 10K miles. I flushed brake lines every 20K, Differentials, Tranny Fluid & Radiator Fluids @ 40K. Was planning to repeat at 80K but sold it. I still have every service record. Hardest work was towing 20 Ft Bass boat. Hands down best truck I’ve ever owned. I’ve had Ford, Chevy and Dodge. This has been toughest most reliable of them all. I’m in my 60’s and the heated seats and steering wheel, plus a good deal convinced me to finally trade her in.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just traded my 2012 SL 4x4 at Front Royal Ford in Front Royal, Virginia last Saturday, which isnt that far away from you. I think they want $20,500 for it. They arent making much at that price, so it will be hard to kick tires with them. Its got 51k miles and all kinds of goodies. Truxedo Lo Pro QT Tonneau cover, Rear Axle Vent Mod, JBA Catback Exhaust, Airaid MXP Cold Air Intake, Koyorad Aluminum Radiator and LongTru Cool 4588 Auxillary Trans Cooler. The rad and aux trans cooler have less than 5k miles on them. The toolbox door and seal has been replaced last year. The new door was filled with rustproofer and sealed by a friend of mine who is a great autobody guy.

The truck has new brakes all the way around and Michelin tires with a good amount of tread. It was a great truck to me... I upgraded to a 2019 Platinum Reserve with 4k miles on it that the dealer had. I drove 230 miles to get there. My advice... Do NOT fill out a credit app with them or they will pull your credit 3-4 times at a bare minimum. Thats what they did to me.

The oil was changed more frequently than recommended. The rear axle vent mod was done at 2k miles. The antifreeze is new. The battery is less than 1 year old. There are 2 10" Powerbass subs under the back seat with a Kenwood Amp. Great Value for the money. 🙂👍

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Sounds like you're leaning towards the F150 and can't blame you. But I thought the budget was only $13K max? Or was that only for a Nissan?
Honestly, I am leaning towards the Ford, though it would mean stretching the budget. And it seems these 2013 5.0s have a solid reputation. I hadn’t really looked much beyond Titans at first because they seemed like the value buy in terms of reliability and features for the mileage & price. And I’d come up with 13K based on what I’d seen for a while, figured that would get me what I needed.

Then again, the local 2010 Nissan is darn clean, and could be had a good bit cheaper. Already has a loud dual exhaust, too, so one less thing to buy later. Not sure of brand. I probably like the Ford a touch better, and my wife likes it a lot better. It’s tough though because I am stingy by nature.

Albany is probably farther than I would go, though that Pro-4X sounds like a nice truck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My advice... Do NOT fill out a credit app with them or they will pull your credit 3-4 times at a bare minimum. Thats what they did to me.
Dang, man! That sucks, sorry to hear how they did you, but thanks for the heads up. Your trade sounds like another great truck, but 20K definitely blows the budget. I can get away with 15 or so with the misses’ blessing, but that would about be it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Dang, man! That sucks, sorry to hear how they did you, but thanks for the heads up. Your trade sounds like another great truck, but 20K definitely blows the budget. I can get away with 15 or so with the misses’ blessing, but that would about be it.
Sorry to hear that your wife won't let you expand the search. I was real pissed when my Credit Karma app went off 4 times during my test drive. I told the salesman my score was 820+ and that any bank would finance me. Apparently, when you fill out a credit app, it automatically pings multiple banks and and all show up on your credit report. Lesson learned. Next time, bring your own financing! Control the amount of times your credit gets dinged.

Anyways...

Whoever gets my truck is going to love it. I had a moonroof, the Technology package with 8" Drop down screen in the back with the headphones and remotes as well as the 4 bed cleats and heated tow mirrors. All of that went with the truck. I would have kept it, had they not known what they had in the 2019 they sold to me. I practically stole it from them! LOL.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Sorry to hear that your wife won't let you expand the search. I was real pissed when my Credit Karma app went off 4 times during my test drive. I told the salesman my score was 820+ and that any bank would finance me. Apparently, when you fill out a credit app, it automatically pings multiple banks and and all show up on your credit report. Lesson learned. Next time, bring your own financing! Control the amount of times your credit gets dinged.

Anyways...

Whoever gets my truck is going to love it. I had a moonroof, the Technology package with 8" Drop down screen in the back with the headphones and remotes as well as the 4 bed cleats and heated tow mirrors. All of that went with the truck. I would have kept it, had they not known what they had in the 2019 they sold to me. I practically stole it from them! LOL.
Yeah, all good, I don’t like to finance too much at once anyway. I just checked Front Royal’s site for kicks and looks like your truck is already gone. Glad you got a good deal on your Platinum Reserve!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Be patient and something good will come to you. I started out looking for a Chevy, but they were all so overpriced and high mileage that it made no sense. So I became brand agnostic (except not Chrysler’s). I quit considering anything at a new car dealership because they have an entitled, disrespectful attitude... and they always try to squeeze the last drop of blood out of you. So one day I saw a silver Titan on a used lot and stopped. It was a ‘05 SE with 78k and had nothing wrong with it. Brakes and struts were new. No rust, no dents, paint and interior in good shape. Under 10k, below KBB fair value. Paid cash and hope to drive it a long, long time. Lay low and keep your eyes open.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I like my Titan better, but Ford makes a good truck.
Man that is a stretch. They make an alright truck, most years.

That 13 F150 is known for some pretty scary spark plug ejections. It also has issues with the EGR and cracking exhaust manifolds (sound familiar).

I bought an 07 Ranger new, 61000 miles (1000 miles past warranty) the first head goes. Known issue Ford refuses to fix, 1000 miles later the other ones and wipes Out the motor. I would have replaced both if it would have helped but the replacements had the same issue.
My Dad bought a Brand new King Ranch F350 Dually with the 6.0L, if you don’t know where this story is going google the Power Stroke 6.0L.
Anyone that isn’t a total Ford homer can tell you stories of ridiculously expensive and hard to reach cool packs that fail early, delaminating tanks, ejecting spark plugs, trucks that are totaled after being in minor parking lot fender benders bc they are aluminum, the list goes on ...
I’m sure someone is going to tell us about this Ford they had that lasted 250000 miles with no issues. Yea I get it, there are outliers and Not every Ford ever made is bad but there are more than enough examples to prove the point.
Every manufacturer has had issues but somehow Ford continues to make piles of garbage and gets a pass on it.
I’d never own another Ford.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey guys, they definitely should have told you they were going to do that. But in the last few years the bureaus changed the formula so numerous pulls within a couple days doesn’t affect your credit like that anymore. Someone finally realized they were penalizing people for making a smart financial decision, shopping for a better rate.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Never said Ford makes a perfect truck. I owned a 6.0L F250 for a while, too. But the F150, as trucks go, is a good truck. It has no worse problems than other trucks and fares a lot better than most in terms of issues. I've run close to a million miles in Ford trucks in my lifetime, with that F250 being the only real problem among them. That group of trucks spans from Bronco to Ranger to F150 to F250 to Expedition, so I'm pretty familiar with the brand and the lineup.

But, yes, Ford doesn't make a perfect truck. It's been, in my experience, better than the GM and Chrysler products I've owned or driven as company vehicles over the years. And I've put some half a million miles on each of those brands, as well. I used to do an awful lot of driving. Thankfully, bot so much anymore.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey to each their own. If you’ve had good luck with the Fords by all means.
I didn’t want to just keep piling it on but Whatever, I could give you number after number of dealers, mechanics and custom guys that would tell you to never buy a Ford truck out of warranty. Hell I know a guy that his entire business is “bulletproofing” Ford’s. He’s quite successful at taking the ford trucks and a few thousand dollars and making them road worthy.
To your point though Dodge /Ram/ whatever has plenty of issues as well. Chevy tends to be the most reliable of those 3 but that is not a huge accomplishment, they have their known issues As well, just not a expensive or scary.
Toyota is far and away the most reliable, as long as you don’t mind your frame rusting in two.
my issue is less with the fact that Ford has issues so much as the apologists, I’ve never understood. They are barely more reliable than a dodge but you all the time hear they make good or better trucks, nope they make an alright truck, at best. It’s definitely not better built or more reliable that a Chevy, Toyota or Nissan. Equal at best.
They also love to tout that they sell the most trucks. If you combine GMC and Chevy most years GM outsells Ford. Just more propaganda lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hi all,

Thanks for the lively and helpful discussion. I’ve decided not to buy anything for now. I ultimately felt that the Ford was nice but more than I am willing to spend for that truck. I also realized I really do want a full crew cab. Going to keep my eyes peeled but chill out for a bit. In the meantime I’ll set aside some more cash and be ready to jump when the time comes.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yeah, all good, I don’t like to finance too much at once anyway. I just checked Front Royal’s site for kicks and looks like your truck is already gone. Glad you got a good deal on your Platinum Reserve!
I had to call my salesman back at the Ford dealer back about expected timing for title work on my PR and found out that my 2012 sold within 20 minutes after being washed, VA State Inspected, and having its oil changed. I traded it Saturday Afternoon and They sold it Monday Afternoon. It went before they could even put info about it on their website, so yeah, it went FAST. :)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Man that is a stretch. They make an alright truck, most years.

That 13 F150 is known for some pretty scary spark plug ejections. It also has issues with the EGR and cracking exhaust manifolds (sound familiar).

I bought an 07 Ranger new, 61000 miles (1000 miles past warranty) the first head goes. Known issue Ford refuses to fix, 1000 miles later the other ones and wipes Out the motor. I would have replaced both if it would have helped but the replacements had the same issue.
My Dad bought a Brand new King Ranch F350 Dually with the 6.0L, if you don’t know where this story is going google the Power Stroke 6.0L.
Anyone that isn’t a total Ford homer can tell you stories of ridiculously expensive and hard to reach cool packs that fail early, delaminating tanks, ejecting spark plugs, trucks that are totaled after being in minor parking lot fender benders bc they are aluminum, the list goes on ...
I’m sure someone is going to tell us about this Ford they had that lasted 250000 miles with no issues. Yea I get it, there are outliers and Not every Ford ever made is bad but there are more than enough examples to prove the point.
Every manufacturer has had issues but somehow Ford continues to make piles of garbage and gets a pass on it.
I’d never own another Ford.
Yep buddy has a yellow Amarillo that he wants to drive through the dealers showroom has been nothing but trouble

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 36 of 36 Posts