Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I need help! I was trying to remove the camber bolts that hold the lower A-arms on the truck and they wont budge! I tried hammering them out and even put some PB blaster on them and they wont move at all.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
Find someone with some mechanical skillz who actually knows what they're doing... :rofl:

Did you actually take the nut off the other end of the bolt? :lol:

Did you totally lift the truck off the ground?

Did you take the wheels off to minimize overhang load on the front axle?

Are the bolts rusted? Any visible rust at the edges of the bushing?

Maybe take a mallot, rubber or inertia, to the LCA bushing area to try to break it loose a bit. Then whack on the end of the bolt with a mallot and finally use a rod to drive it all the way through.

One thing you might try, and it helped with my removal. Get a ratchet strap and attach the LCA on the side you're working to the frame on the other side of the truck and Titan it down. This will keep the LCA from "sliding" towards the wheel and putting undue pressure on the bolt.

It seems you just have a tough bolt there.... Good luck.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blackbeauty said:
Find someone with some mechanical skillz who actually knows what they're doing... :rofl: -BITE ME BB!

Did you actually take the nut off the other end of the bolt? :lol: -AHH..... YAH!

Did you totally lift the truck off the ground? - YEP, UP ON THE LIFT.

Did you take the wheels off to minimize overhang load on the front axle? - WHEELS AND SPINDLES!

Are the bolts rusted? Any visible rust at the edges of the bushing?- DUH, I LIVE IN NH!!

Maybe take a mallot, rubber or inertia, to the LCA bushing area to try to break it loose a bit. Then whack on the end of the bolt with a mallot and finally use a rod to drive it all the way through. - I TRIED ALL THAT!

One thing you might try, and it helped with my removal. Get a ratchet strap and attach the LCA on the side you're working to the frame on the other side of the truck and Titan it down. This will keep the LCA from "sliding" towards the wheel and putting undue pressure on the bolt.

It seems you just have a tough bolt there.... Good luck.
THANKS!

I REPLIED TO YOUR COMMENTS IN CAPS! HAHA

PRG said I'll probably have to try and cut the bolts! I called the dealership, FYI lower control arms are 200 bucks EACH!!

·
Registered
458 Posts
yes, you will have to cut the bolts.... its due to the salt from the roads.

We did a pro comp install a few weeks ago, and had the same issue....

Cut the bolts, then took the A arms to a machine shop, and had them put them on a drill mill, and drilled out the remaining pieces of the bolts.... A Arms went back on nicely after.

We even tried a 12 ton press, and then a 72 ton press!! The drill mill was the last option.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
OUCH! That's nasty... t22.. you need to move... :lol:

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply! Well thats what I'm going to attempt tonight. Luckily the guy has a Bridgeport so I use that as a last resort!

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I cut the lower A-arms off last night and attempted to drill one of them out. I dont think its perfectly straight though. Do yo guys think this will be an issue? Thee is a lot of adjustment in the frame I hope its ok!

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
I think you need to put it back together and trade it in on a Dog or Frod.....

·
Registered
149 Posts
when i was putting my lift on, they were seized up and i had to cut them off. I man'd up and bought new ones, it was my only choice. Make sure you put anti-siez on the new bolts before re-installing, especially if you live in area with bad weather like me in Indiana

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yah look what happened when I tried to drill them. These were locked down on a table and we used a Bridgeport! The rubber made it very hard to drill these straight!

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
Maybe you should have used something NOT from Connecticut? :dunno: Darned Yankees can't shoot straight to save their lives!!!

Looks like you might be in the market for some new takeoffs...

Do yourself a favor... Call Greg at PRG... He's got dozens of stock LCA's laying around from his installs.. Want me to call him and smooth things over for you so he doesn't charge you double? :lol:

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I already talked to him yesterday, He has a pair of take offs, problem is the shipping will be $$$ and I wont have my truck for another week!

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
We must all pay the cost for our own errors... Look at me.. I pay every day... :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts