Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time on this forum.I have the Service Engine Soon light on my 04 Titan SE. I went to Auto Zone and this is what they told me.
P0158 The PCM has determined that the input voltage from oxygen sensor 2 in bank 2 is too high for current operating conditions.

The guy at Auto Zone told me to change the oxygen sensor. First of all I have no experience with oxygen sensors. Is this something I can change myself? If so where is it located?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
An O2 sensor can be a pain to change sometimes. Crawl underneath there and look to see how much space you have. Then when you go buy the sensor, also buy the socket or tool that will make removal much easier!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
do anyone have a diy for this??..:read:
Haven't seen one, but if it's the 2nd sensor it is easy. You just jack the truck up on one side, slip in a jack stand and roll on under it. Locate the sensor by looking for the object screwed into the exhaust pipes under the cab. Look on either the left or right side depending on which code you got. Disconnect the quick connect harness and undo the sensor with either the specialized tool or a 7/8" / 22mm wrench if I recall correctly. Put some O2 sensor safe anti-seize on the new one if it doesn't already have some on the threads (Bosch sensors and the OEM Nissan sensors have some already) and tighten down the new one. Attach the harness and you're done.

You may want to put some penetrating lube on it and let it sit first. They can be quite difficult to loosen at times.

If it's the first sensor, it is attached to the exhaust manifold and you will need to undo your wheel well liner to get to it. Those are more of a pain and you will likely need the special tool and some universal joints and extensions for a ratchet. The procedure is the same, just a harder to get to location.

You may or may not need to reset the CEL (engine light). If it doesn't go off after driving up to 50 miles, reset with a code reader like Actron, programmer like Superchips, or use the manual procedure you can find on this site using a search.

Personally, I like using an open-ended wrench on the 2nd sensors because it is easy to get one on there and you have more leverage. Use whatever works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Haven't seen one, but if it's the 2nd sensor it is easy. You just jack the truck up on one side, slip in a jack stand and roll on under it. Locate the sensor by looking for the object screwed into the exhaust pipes under the cab. Look on either the left or right side depending on which code you got. Disconnect the quick connect harness and undo the sensor with either the specialized tool or a 7/8" / 22mm wrench if I recall correctly. Put some O2 sensor safe anti-seize on the new one if it doesn't already have some on the threads (Bosch sensors and the OEM Nissan sensors have some already) and tighten down the new one. Attach the harness and you're done.

You may want to put some penetrating lube on it and let it sit first. They can be quite difficult to loosen at times.

If it's the first sensor, it is attached to the exhaust manifold and you will need to undo your wheel well liner to get to it. Those are more of a pain and you will likely need the special tool and some universal joints and extensions for a ratchet. The procedure is the same, just a harder to get to location.

You may or may not need to reset the CEL (engine light). If it doesn't go off after driving up to 50 miles, reset with a code reader like Actron, programmer like Superchips, or use the manual procedure you can find on this site using a search.

Personally, I like using an open-ended wrench on the 2nd sensors because it is easy to get one on there and you have more leverage. Use whatever works.

All this info is great. Recently, I just purchased a used 2004 Titan SE. I need to replace my O2 sensor Sensor 2/bank 2. On the other side of quick connect harness the wiring has been cut clean which is probably why it is reading the O2 sensor is bad. Does anyone know what this is called or labeled as that is the connected on the harness side of O2 sensor 2/bank 2? Appreciate any input.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Are you saying someone cut your harness above the plug to disconnect the O2 sensor? Sounds like your truck might have been a salvage truck, as cut harness is usually an indicator someone rebuilt it sloppily to make a quick buck.

If it's the harness, you'll have to determine if the wires are copper or stainless steel. If copper, they can be soldered to a new stub harness (you'll probably have to go get this at a junkyard). If they're stainless, you're going to need to source the truck side of the harness and replace the whole thing, as stainless doesn't solder well.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Yeah I’ve run into some random problems were someone was obviously cutting corners. Truck doesn't come back a salvage under carfax though. Pretty sure they are copper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts