Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
***Ended up being a dead battery, total coincidence***

Hey guys, I need help.

I attempted to wire up the relay and stuff for this mod and it didn't work. Put everything back to stock. Now I can't start the truck normally.

When I turn the key to the "on" position everything acts normal with the gauges. When I turn to crank it, it just clicks and the gauges flicker for 5-10 secs and go back to normal. I can jump her and get her started and everything is normal. I can turn the truck off and wait 30 secs and restart her ok. If I let her sit longer than 3-5 minutes it has the same issues again. Turn the key, won't start & clicking noises, gauges flicker, then the gauges go back to normal.

After I jumped the truck the first time I tested 4hi, 4lo, and the locker and it's functioning perfectly.

I checked a few fuses: rear diff in the cab fuse panel & ignition fuse under the hood. Both looked ok. There are so many fuses, I don't want to start pulling them all. Can someone help me narrow down the fuses that may be related to these issues?

It seems like the battery is low or dead.

Any help or advise is much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
I think you need a new battery. If you can connect to the battery terminals and jump start, then it is not a fuse problem because all the fuses are downstream from the battery. Did you leave the battery connected with the doors open for a long period of time? That can drain the battery and the OEM battery does not survive deep discharges very well.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ok, I'll get it checked at autozone.

I disconnected the battery (negative terminal) while doing it.

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
you may have a dead short that is running your battery down quickly.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I think you need a new battery. If you can connect to the battery terminals and jump start, then it is not a fuse problem because all the fuses are downstream from the battery. Did you leave the battery connected with the doors open for a long period of time? That can drain the battery and the OEM battery does not survive deep discharges very well.
You were right. Had it tested at Kragen's, picked up a new one and it started right up.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you may have a dead short that is running your battery down quickly.
If you're correct, would returning the wires back to normal fix a dead short? I hope the new battery doesn't get drained.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
A short substantial enough to drain a battery in a short period of time will normally blow a fuse. You can detect excess parasitic draw on the battery with the IGN off using a DMM. If the draw is excess, like more than 35 ma, you can try to find the source by pulling fuses. The Titan computers go to sleep after 30 minutes and honeykeeper measured the normal drain at 20 ma.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's a harbor freight not too far from me, I'm going to pick up a DMM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts