Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I did it, I finally got the Titan hung-up somewhere she couldn't get herself out of. No pics yet, just happened tonight, but let me set the stage (I am taking suggestions for how to "un-stuck" her):

My property - behind my home I have about a 200 yard long hill, it is on about an 10-12 percent grade, very thin layer of topsoil (grass) and then dirt under (which is now mud -- see "The weather")

The weather - we currently have about an inch of ice under a 24-27" sheet of snow, it is 32 degrees outside right now and has been snowing off/on all week, tomorrow it is supposed to dump rain all day and then hover around 36 for a few days

The scenario - I pulled down the grade (facing downhill) in 4Lo (just to be safe), and successfully backed-up to my workshop door (unpaved/very loose gravel "driveway")... did not consider that while doing this I had a VERY heavy appliance in the bed of the truck. I then pull away from the garage and attempt to begin to turn around literally in the middle of the grade, next thing I know truck is sliding sideways down the hill (I am now facing perpendicular to the hill but sliding down) and no-longer anywhere near the gravel of the driveway :huh:. Not to panic, nothing to hit there, but sliding sideways when wanting to go forward (or back) is a bit disconcerting. This is where I make the crucial mistake, I let off the gas and hit the brake :ftard:. The truck's back-end swings around so it is now behind me (I am now facing uphill but am about 80 yards down the hill) at a dead stop. Ok, no huge deal, this is a Pro-4X, I'll try the Diff Locker out, see how it does :). I engage the Diff Locker, hit the gas... slow at first, then hard... snow goes flying all around me, engine tacs up... no movement. Ok, let's get her rocking... same result, man-made snowstorm, no movement, forward or backward. Hmmm :confused:. Time to try forward again, nope, backward, nope, etc. etc. Finally, I am flinging MUCH more mud then snow and come to the realization, 'I have no weight in the back-end' :crying: and better check to see just how big of a whole I've dug myself into now. Well, let's just say this, the frame is on the ground (in the mud/muck), when I opened the door I had to push snow out of the way with it, and there are mounds of snow (now) over the headlights in the front. Well, crap, I'm officially stuck :bangit:. I am too far down the hill for a pull and at the bottom of the hill is a 12 foot drop into a creek (so that won't work).

So, after all that, anyone got any ideas. My dad (who has a Titan and got a kick out of this - "I told you that machinery is limited by the intelligence of the operator" :ftard:) says that chains would be the answer. I figured I would ask here with the "offroad/unstuck-ing experts". Obviously, I am not worthy :teeth:.

Please help.

-S

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As some point I really wish the laws of natural selection would kick in for humans.

-S

Reactions: galiath05

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very good point, very good point indeed. Today, I have to wonder about myself.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Hicks at there best!!! Sorry if I piss anyone off with that.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Is your T still buried in the snow out back??? I was thinking it's time for a backhoe or tractor pull... Chain up, and drag it out of there... The way you're describing how the T slid to the stop, and the lack of any traction or ability up rock yourself out, I would be cautious not to keep trying otherwise you might get the gears or tranny all fahked up, then end up with more issues... If I get stuck, I make it a habit of taking a few minutes to walk around and see what I can reasonably do to unFahk myself, if it looks like it's gonna take a winch or tow, then I make the phone call rather than tearing the drivetrain up and then calling when nothing turns... Oh yeah, how about a flamethrower to melt all that snow??? :rofl:

·
Registered
233 Posts
nice clip lol... Start shoveling bro it may take awhile but if you can clear it enough it will come out.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I remember when I got stuck in the Titan... the only time I ever had the truck stuck in mud. It was a cold November night, it was 3am, I had school in the morning at 9am. My friends had hopped in their truck to go and get the pull strap for me. So there I am, in the middle of nowhere digging all 4 tires out with my bare hands. Luckily there was a full moon and a clear sky that night so I could see. I think there was hinting that they were just going to leave it and come back in the morning. I said, "YOU guys can go, I am NOT leaving my truck here, I will camp if I have to." lol I came out of that rut right around 4am... yeah that morning sucked.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, got her out. I dug the snow out around the tires, piled it up in the bed, and once it had some weight over the rear axel it walked right out. 4Lo and Rear-Locker on, came out nice and easy.

I guess between digging out, the ground freezing overnight, and the additional weight of the snow in the bed... I had all I needed.

Thanks for the suggestions.

-S

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, my next thought was a buddy's dozer... but we would've had to trailer it up here. His F-250 "wouldn't get down there and back out in that mess", so we decided that if I did need a tow, it would be his dozer. He is active-duty National Guard however and on a training, so it would have been a few days, which would have just sucked.

-S

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Decided to add a picture for anyone interested. Turns out, upon re-measuring, that my grade behind the house is about 16%. The pic is after shoveling the truck out for about 1/2 hour and obviously not sitting in the "deep ruts" I had cut.

-S

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,596 Posts
If you were my neighbor you would have called ME and asked me to bring an extra 100' of winch line (which would have cost you an extra 6 pack).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts