Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start with, Im retarded when it comes to engines. Yesterday, my Titan started losoing oil pressure. I was on the highway and it went down to almost none and the oil light came on. I stop it and restarted it after checking the oil (when looked a bit low) and the pressure came back. I get it home, added a little oil and let it sit. Each time after rstarting it, the oil pressure will be fine then when I drive it couple of miles, it goes back down to nothing and the oil light comes back on. Im freaked out and worried my engine is going burn up. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
:confused:
:crying:

·
Premium Member
31,154 Posts
What year, how many miles, any history?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2005, 94,000, It has leaked small amounts of oil in the past but nothing major. It would put out a small amount of light smoke from the exhaust at start up only. Ive never had any problems with the engine other than it was used as a work truck (by me thankfully) and I wasnt that great about changing the oil on time. I live in Texas, I dont put a lot of stress on the truck but the heat here makes me nervous.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Damn it man that sucks.

Loss of oil pressure can be a few different things. No oil, bad oil pump or pump loosing prime (because it's bad or not enough oil) dirty , nasty oil and filter, bad oil sending unit, bad oil pressure gauge or blown engine.

Is the engine knocking or makeing weird noises at start up or acceleration?
is there water in the oil or oil in the water??
Loss of power?

I would change the oil asap with a regular dino oil, like Castrol GTX 5w-30. put in a full 7qts to make sure you have all the oil in can hold. Use a good filter. Fram sucks so try for a Purolater or Mobil 1 filter. Run the engine and let the new fresh clean oil clean up the engine. It might just be gunked up from crappy oil and improper oil change intervals. If starts to maintane pressure change the oil again and then change again at 3000 miles. If eveything is back to mormal put some synthetic ( Mobil 1 is good and easy to obtain).

Hopefully it's just your sending unit acting up because of gunk.

Good Luck

·
Registered
16,113 Posts
if he is smoking at startup, thats a sign of burning oil. hate to say it, but you could be in for alot more than just a bad sending unit

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
If it blows out smoke only at startup, then it's the vave guide seals. While your truck is sitting, the seals are allowing a little oil to trickle into the combustion chamber. This isn't a huge deal, but you will need to have the seals and maybe the guides themselves changed eventually. This won't affect your oil gauge. I assume you have multiple issues like previously posted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts