Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I tried sending a PM to baseballfanz but apparently I haven't posted enough to be allowed to do so. So, I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I've read baseballfanz how to on wiring LED's to work with the dome lights. I've got my 12V coming from a fuse tap into the interior lamp fuse. I hooked up the negative to the blue wire (appears to be 14 gauge behind passenger kick panel) and the lights just stay on. They refuse to shut off. So, I thought maybe I had the wrong blue wire, so I tapped into the other blue wire (appears to be 18/20 gauge) with my negative. Same thing! I just want these LED's to work with my dome light switch, and when doors are unlocked/opened. I'm not a fan of tapping into the cargo lamp wire. ANY advice or input would be really appreciated!

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
I attached mine to the pale green wire (per baseballfanz), but the positive to it and just ground the negative wire to something metal

Attachments

Reactions: davis2088

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I attached mine to the pale green wire (per baseballfanz), but the positive to it and just ground the negative wire to something metal
Thanks. Yea I've seen your many posts about the pale green wire lol. I'd just prefer the dome light myself. I'm losing my mind with this!! Hahahaha

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
pale green is same as the dome light, goes on when the doors open, off when they close benefit is it also goes on when you hit the cargo light switch. Just an added benefit.

Reactions: davis2088

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pale green is same as the dome light, goes on when the doors open, off when they close benefit is it also goes on when you hit the cargo light switch. Just an added benefit.
Yea it's definitely an option. I'd just like them to come on when I flip my dome light switch on, so all the interior lights light up together. Not by themselves like they would with the cargo lights.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
It is a holiday weekend ya know.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I couldn't figure out the dome light wire. I tried to tap into the cargo lamp wire (pale green) and that didn't work either? So, frustration got the better of me, and I've just hooked the lights up to the open slot on the fuse block. It's powered by the ignition, so the lights are always on when the key is turned. But it works. On the bright side, I finally have some hood lights now! :+1:

Attachments

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
Are you using the hot wire to tap into the blue or green wire or the ground? And what is your other wire attached too?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you using the hot wire to tap into the blue or green wire or the ground? And what is your other wire attached too?
So, when I hooked to the blue, I had my positive from the lights to a fuse tap getting 12V constant, and the negative from the lights to the blue wire. This resulted in the lights just staying on. So I tried to do as suggested, and tap into the cargo light circuit instead. I had my positive from the lights going to the pale green wire and the negative from the lights to a chassis ground. (I legit had your video playing and pausing while I was doing this lol.) But, the lights never turned on. Not with the switch, the door or anything.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
wow, thats crazy, not sure what going on...

·
Registered
256 Posts
I used that pale green and used that black bolt for ground, my lights go off and on with door lights. If youre still trying to go that route

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used that pale green and used that black bolt for ground, my lights go off and on with door lights. If youre still trying to go that route
I'd love to go that route vs what I have going on now. But when I tap into the pale green with the + and that black bolt with my - I don't get power to my lights...it's pretty lame. You guys are using the solid pale green right? Not the pale green with silver dashes?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'd love to go that route vs what I have going on now. But when I tap into the pale green with the + and that black bolt with my - I don't get power to my lights...it's pretty lame. You guys are using the solid pale green right? Not the pale green with silver dashes?
Yep, the same wire fishn posted in 3rd post. Maybe be your lights, mine are the little flexable ones from walmart.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you want your interior led's to come on and shut off when you open and close the door in the same matter as the overhead lights you could connect them directly to the Body Control Module (BCM) interior light output. The BCM is located in the driver side foot well directly behind, and above the OBD2 port. It's a black box with multiple connectors going to it. The long connector that is black (it's the only black connector on the BCM) is the one you are looking for, it has 15 pins on it.

You want the blue wire (-)
and the wire that is Red with a green stripe (+)

The red with green stripe wire (+), is the battery saver circuit that all the interior lights and bed lights are connected to, it shuts off after 30 minutes of not detecting any change of state on the door switches, locks or ignition cylinder. So if you leave the door open and walk away it will shut the lights off and save your battery.

The blue wire (-) is the output to turn on the overhead interior lights and puddle lamps.

You'll notice that the connector on the BCM I'm referring to, has thicker wires on one side and thinner ones on the other. The wires you are looking for are in with the thinner wires. I think they are 18 gauge. Ignore the thicker wires.

The downside to this setup is the lights will only come on when the door is opened or you when you unlock the truck with the fob. They will not come on by activating the overhead light switch. The only way you could do that would be to actually connect your LED's wires to the wires going to the bulb, of the overhead light. As far as I know, there is no master interior light switch that activates all the lights and if their is, I haven't found it. If there was/is however, then you would be all set cause your light would come on with the rest of the interior lights.

You could install a switch in your dash that connects the negative side of your lights to ground when turned on and also still have them come on when you open the doors. You would want to use a single throw, double pole (SPDT) switch though . If you use a regular single pole, single throw switch (SPST), it'll ground the BCM's interior light output and turn all the lights on when activated. It may (though very unlikely) also cause issues with the BCM.

Yet if you used a single throw, two pole switch, wired correctly it will isolate the circuits. So when you press it only your leds will come on, but when you have that switch turned off the leds will still come on when the door is open.

The wiring is simple. Assuming you have a non lighted single throw double pole switch, it'll only have 3 connector tabs on it. If it is lighted their will be 1-3 more tabs for powering the internal lights, depends on the switch. For now though we'll assume it's a non lighted switch.

So their are 3 tabs top to bottom. Connect the interior light output of the BCM (blue wire) to the top tab. Connect (-) side of your led light to the middle tab and lastly connect a wire connected to ground to the bottom tab.

The (+) side of your LED light will still go directly to the wire on the BCM that is Red with a green stripe.

Also even if you forget to turn the switch off, your LEDS will still shut off after 30 minutes, if the BCM does not detect any activity. This is because you are wired into the battery saver circuit on the + side. Just like the factory installed lighting.

A note on switches, you want a SPDT but not one with "Center off". You can use one with the center off option, but it will disable your light completely if left in the center position. So it won't be on and it also won't turn on when the door is open. Unless you want that ability, try to find a switch without center off. It'll only have two positions up or down, or in/out if its a push button.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts