Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would cause a key to stop working?

I drove to the store, was inside for maybe 5 minutes, go get in my truck and the key won't work.

It worked to unlock the door, but it will not turn in the ignition. I mean it will not turn at all, like it is the wrong key. I jiggle the wheel, still won't work.

I walk home (in the rain at 9pm) get my spare and my wife's copy of the key, drive her car back and the spare works fine. I try mine again, still not working.

Anyone have any ideas what's up?

·
Registered
365 Posts
you might have to get a new key bro, the same thing happen to me in my xterra

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Possible bad chip inside the key.. take it to nissan and tell them that it don't work.

·
Registered
369 Posts
nope, not the chip. The key has just been worn down so the tumbler pins aren't getting lined up right. If you have more than one key, i suggest rotating them from time to time to keep from wearing out the metal on one.

·
Registered
190 Posts
nope, not the chip. The key has just been worn down so the tumbler pins aren't getting lined up right. If you have more than one key, i suggest rotating them from time to time to keep from wearing out the metal on one.
Yep. Keys wear out. I suggest getting 2-3 keys made and keep a spare with you at all times. You could even put two on the same ring and just use one until it gives you problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue for me last weekend.
So do I really need to get the truck to the Nissan Dealership or can they just run the VIN and cut a new key?

Or, can I buy a new key online (2 keys for $12) Vs. 1 Key for $40. And bring them the key to have them cut it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts