Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have run into an issue that requires me to remove one of the studs in the exhaust manifold, i.e. the nut is FUBAR and I have no other choice but to take the stud out. Anyone know the size star socket I need to remove the stud? Any suggestions to NOT break the stud off in the head?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I am curious what issue you've run into that requires removing the stud.
Granted my experiences with removing the studs have been less than great....they snapped...which brought an entire new world of hell.

How bad is the stud rusted stuck?
I recommend Phosphoric acid of some sort to eat the rust, and only the rust. then clean the crap out of the edge where the stud and the block are in contact, then lots of penetrating oil (like PB), heat, prayers, animal sacrifices, etc.

Here is my adventures in manifold studs:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to take a photo in the morning. To give the best description I can, it looked as though the nut had been rounded off completely. None of my sockets (even my extractor) would grab hold of it. So, in a stroke of "brilliance", I took a dremel to it and cut through the nut, managed to make contact with the stud. Thought I could replace the stud fairly easily, only to have the top star portion snap off on me. The stud is still in the block, and there's enough thread to be useful putting the repaired manifold back on. I intend to use a significant amount of anti-seize lube to keep the nuts from getting stuck again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And I guess I should have started with a full story. My Titan had a REALLY bad exhaust leak on the driver's side. The passenger side had one as well, but that one was fairly straightforward getting off and repairing. The Noise got so bad that I couldn't take it anymore, so I decided to fix it. Started taking everything apart, only to run into the nemesis that is the manifold nut right behind the A/C compressor. The condition was atrocious, as I described above. I just need to weld out the crack and get it back on until i select a new exhaust. OH........BTW.....In case anyone needs the size of the socket, it's an E-10.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am curious what issue you've run into that requires removing the stud.
Granted my experiences with removing the studs have been less than great....they snapped...which brought an entire new world of hell.

How bad is the stud rusted stuck?
I recommend Phosphoric acid of some sort to eat the rust, and only the rust. then clean the crap out of the edge where the stud and the block are in contact, then lots of penetrating oil (like PB), heat, prayers, animal sacrifices, etc.

Here is my adventures in manifold studs:
Wow, your adventure with broken studs and......ugh. I don't envy that level of hell. I'm hoping that with enough anti-seize, I won't have to mess with that nonsense. Just out of curiosity, do you know of anyone attempting to do a 4x4 swap from a wrecked titan? I am going to be undertaking that endeavor in a few weeks, and was wondering if anyone has experience with that.

·
Registered
177 Posts
In case anyone needs the size of the socket, it's an E-10.
I said it was an E10 in the other thread you posted. :)

To give the best description I can, it looked as though the nut had been rounded off completely. None of my sockets (even my extractor) would grab hold of it. So, in a stroke of "brilliance", I took a dremel to it and cut through the nut, managed to make contact with the stud.
Trust me the Irwin extractors work.
Other option, weld a nut to the exposed part of the stud and then take it out.
another option, get an m10x1.25 ( i am 99% sure that is the size off the top of my head) die and fix what is left of the stud.
and for the worse news you want - it might be easier to remove the entire manifold in order to get enough grip on the stud to remove it.
BTW which stud on which side?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't have it yet, but color really doesn't matter since I'm painting it once I'm done. I'm going to do a two tone raptor liner coating. Along with a 4" lift kit and wheels and tires.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts