Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a set of OEM side steps, and I was sanding them down for bedliner when I decided to match them up under the truck to see the install. My truck has 3 bare spots where it looks like the brackets used to go (not sure if this is all titans, or if steps were taken off my truck before)

I see 3 threaded studs sticking out of the truck. These match up with one of the 2 top holes on the brackets. Does the second top hole stay empty?

My steps also came with a nut/bolt combo in this second hole, however I am not sure where these actually go.

Does anyone have pictures of the underside (mounting) of their OEM steps? If my description is confusing I can take some pictures.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I'm pretty sure that one of the holes stays empty. The nuts that I had on the bolts are used to tighten down on the studs that are already on the truck, and then you use the other bolts for the top (I cant remember if they were on the top or bottom). But like I said I only had 1 bolt on the top, and 1 on the bottom.

Reactions: DoyleOil

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Pic's would help!

The brackets on the steps should match up to the threaded studs under the truck.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think one of the tops stays empty, and the nut goes over the threaded stud. the bolt goes into the truck. I will take pictures in a second and it should all make sense.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Below is how it was when i get them from Stryker (glad you popped on here!) One nut bolt combo in top hole, other side is open. Middle hole open.

Below is what it looks like with no hardware. When I was under the vehicle and saw one threaded bolt ... and saw three open holes on the bracket, I was confused. Even with the bolt there is an empty hole.

Below: The red box is the threaded stud affixed to the truck. The blue boxes are where I THOUGHT/ASSUMED would be a second threaded stud would be... to fill the second open top hole. However it doesnt exist. The yellow circle is the sneaky threaded hole that nissan covered. removing the caps reveals the hole and fits the bolt as seen in photo 1. The nut should go over the threaded stud attached to the truck. One of the top holes remains empty. WHY MAKE A HOLE THAT DOESN'T GET USED. Why not put a second threaded stud? I hate useless things! If someone can confirm this that would be great..

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Yea I dont know why they would do that, it really doesnt make sence, but thats how it was when I bought the truck, and there is obv no other studs for the second hole. Just bolt it on, you shouldnt have any issues as I never had any. Looks like you might wanna put some WD or something on the stud btw!

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
you seem to get it bro.
one nut, and one boly on each bracket.
the other holes are just made just incase you swap the brakcet to the other side as well, it would still fit.
but all you need is 3 bolts, and 3 nuts per side.
i just took mine off. ganna sand them and bedline them :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, just had to talk myself through it I guess. Makes sense for the brackets as well, so they dont have to be side specific.

Whats wrong with the gross rusty stud?! lol

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea definitely broke 1 of them haha. luckily it was the rear. welcome to new england.

·
Premium Member
58,769 Posts
you seem to get it bro.
one nut, and one boly on each bracket.
the other holes are just made just incase you swap the brakcet to the other side as well, it would still fit.
NO! NO! NO!

Hang the steps on the upper threaded post. The lower part of the bracket will line up with threaded holes in the frame that have plastic plugs in them. Pull the plugs and put the proper size bolt in. I don't remember what size the bolt is.

·
Registered
557 Posts
yeah definatly pop the little round black cover off and screw in the supplied bolt that came with the steps. (if they came with the steps) they will screw right in . one nut on top treaded bolt thats already on the truck (in your pic) and one screw where the little round plastic cap is... (also in your pic)

·
Premium Member
58,769 Posts
Whether the plastic caps were gone or not step bars need to be attached in 6 places on each side of the truck.

·
Premium Member
15,695 Posts
you seem to get it bro.
one nut, and one bolt on each bracket.
NO! NO! NO!

Hang the steps on the upper threaded post. The lower part of the bracket will line up with threaded holes in the frame that have plastic plugs in them. Pull the plugs and put the proper size bolt in. I don't remember what size the bolt is.

Whether the plastic caps were gone or not step bars need to be attached in 6 places on each side of the truck.
Isnt that what Karim said? 3 nuts, and 3 bolts per side. 6 mount locations. 3 nuts on the 3 studs and 3 bolts in the 3 holes. sounds right to me.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Yea he's good to go. Aside from one of the studs snapping off that is.... New England loves rust!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got them bedlined and installed yesterday ... broke one of the studs. But yes, 3 nuts on the 3 studs and 3 bolts in the holes covered by the plastic caps.

Terrible picture with my phone

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Looks nice dude. Way diff than when I saw it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts