Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my two dash speakers. I have an 06 SE if that matters. Are those tweeters or just regular speakers and are there any regulations for replacing them? Also, any suggestions as to what I whould replace them with?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Man, those are some funky little 2" speakers that I just replaced with a good set of tweeters. I removed the speaker and magnet from the basket, and used the basket to affix my new tweeters, so they would not be a hassle getting them back into the dash securely. I don't know if anyone stocks any direct 2" replacement speakers for it, or if you would want to pay for them, lol, because they are so rare they would be expensive no doubt.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know any info about them, such as their RMS and peak, ohms, sensitivity, frequency, or mounting depth, or even the serial # or make and model? I dont want to take the stock ones out until I get new ones to replace them unless I absolutely have to.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Best I can recall, they are 20 watt, 2 ohm, but not sure on the frequency... they do handle a little more than your normal tweeter, but not down into any mid-bass. You probably wouldn't notice any missing frequencies by switching to a tweet with a built in passive x-over (like most of them come when purchased). You've still got your door speakers running full range, so you may not get quite the reflection of the higher voices from the windshield, although the doors are still producing them.

Mounting depth???... they were kinda shallow in themselves, although there is a gaping hole under them that mounting depth wouldn't be an issue with a totally new deeper speaker. I have heard of people fishing up from the bottom with new 3", and even 3.5 co-ax's. But if you retain the basket for a tweet replacement like I did, I still think you'd be fine, because most tweets aren't that deep. I put those big Pioneer 1 3/8 tweets in the baskets, and snapped the factory grills right back over the top with no issues of depth.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Buy these like I did when I re-did my entire system: Speaker or Tweeter Adapters Nissan Titan 04-09: eBay Motors (item 310218848349 end time Jun-07-10 09:19:03 PDT)

That way you can securely mount just about any aftermarket tweeter. You probably won't notice much of a difference doing this though (replacing the tweeters) unless of course yours are broken and you just want something working again. You'd have to have some pretty sensitive ears to pick out the difference with a straight-swap tweeter upgrade in the Titan, and if your ears are that sensitive you are gonna have plenty of other problems with any of the OEM systems :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Buy these like I did when I re-did my entire system: Speaker or Tweeter Adapters Nissan Titan 04-09: eBay Motors (item 310218848349 end time Jun-07-10 09:19:03 PDT)

That way you can securely mount just about any aftermarket tweeter. You probably won't notice much of a difference doing this though (replacing the tweeters) unless of course yours are broken and you just want something working again. You'd have to have some pretty sensitive ears to pick out the difference with a straight-swap tweeter upgrade in the Titan, and if your ears are that sensitive you are gonna have plenty of other problems with any of the OEM systems :)
Those wouldn't work that great the factory grill would actually sit on top of the tweeter pinching it down then. You have plenty of depth in the hole but not much height with the factory grill. I think most tweeters would work if they had a grill on them, but not if they were domed.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Those wouldn't work that great the factory grill would actually sit on top of the tweeter pinching it down then. You have plenty of depth in the hole but not much height with the factory grill. I think most tweeters would work if they had a grill on them, but not if they were domed.
They do work, I am using them with a pair of CDT tweets. The factory grill fits right on top and does not pinch them.

Those brackets are a lot thinner than they may look.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yeah as long as they are thin enough. I just know form experience that if the plate is too thick it'll fit under the grill but will squish the dome of the tweeter. I had to make a plate like that and mount the tweeter under it for enough clearance.

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Titan SE King Cab
135 Posts

Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ixian, do you get 1 or 2 tweeter adapters when you buy them from the ebay link you posted? They don't make it very clear.

·
Registered
255 Posts
You get a pair. If you scroll down and read the more detailed description it also says "Kit includes two adapters plus hardware". By hardware they mean screws that won't apply to the Titan, re-use the little plastic plugs that hold in the stock tweeters, they fit in those mounting holes.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yeah as long as they are thin enough. I just know form experience that if the plate is too thick it'll fit under the grill but will squish the dome of the tweeter. I had to make a plate like that and mount the tweeter under it for enough clearance.
You are correct if they are domed, took me a minute to realize what you meant. The CDT tweets are concave and have a very small "dome" area, so they don't stick up too much. Any larger domed set you are going to have to recess somehow, or cut the factory grill and mount the dome through that. I've seen the latter done by at least one member here and the former done all the time with plumber's tape.

So word of caution, if your tweeters stick up at all, don't bother with the brackets I posted, you'll need to recess them instead. Check this post to see what I mean: http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-visual-audio-discussion/26567-how-make-tweeter-mounts-stock-location.html#post339669

·
Registered
57 Posts
i took a dremel to the factory holes up there and cut it out and just happend to squeeze 3 1/2 inch in infinity kappas in there. the little plastic cover that goes over it didnt fit so i had to cut out the middle and the tweeter pokes through. its awesome they are loud as sh**.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Ixian, I removed the grill from my DLS irridium tweeters and mounted them with VERY thin cardboard (from some product I purchased) and duct tape. This help for several years until recently the duct tape let go. Just exactly how thick are these brackets, My tweeters had huge dome grills but I removed them, so they would fit under the grills. I'd assume these adapters are thin enough to allow the grill to snap on so they should be pretty thin? I might try the plumbers tape method that was linked in my ancient thread since It's pretty much free, but adapters could be a cleaner solution if I can't find the old push pins.

·
Registered
405 Posts
HAT also makes a good 2" mid that'll fit in there as well but I mounted mine in the factory grill location and ran it off of the crossovers from my door speakers in my doors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
HAT also makes a good 2" mid that'll fit in there as well but I mounted mine in the factory grill location and ran it off of the crossovers from my door speakers in my doors.
Who makes these 2 " speaker you're talking about because I would like to replace mine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts