Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ALL,

About to do my first transmission service at 58,000. I have towed only 1 time in my truck....I own a 2008(.5) Crew Cab Long Bed with Tow Package. Other than that tow (this past December) driving has been "normal". I am taking it to a nearby Nissan Dealer that has a great reputation in its service department. I am doing a complete flush (fluid exchange) of the tranny. I have kept up on other engine services....oil change, air filter, new tires, etc.

Question - While I realize not a lot I can do about it now I am wondering if I have waited to long to do anything for the tranny? Or should I be "ok" at 58,000? I have not noticed any transmission problems to date.

Also, just bought a new 2011 Aljo 268 travel trailer which is what led me to doing this service before I begin towing 6-8 times per year. I pick up the trailer this Saturday......tranny service scheduled for tomorrow morning.

Thanks for any input you can provide and any tips for me moving forward!!! Thanks again... :)

·
Premium Member
21,317 Posts
You should be fine. According to the manual you don't even have to touch the transmission fluid (ever!) unless you tow or off-road. I did my first fluid exchange at 33,000 miles because I tow and off-road. The fluid looks good enough to use in another vehicle. The lab report on the sample I took indicated that the fluid was in very good shape.

Reactions: DRTYAZN

·
Registered
369 Posts
You should be fine... double check amount of fluid used, if it's under 6 qts, they just drained and filled, a flush (complete run through) takes over 12 qts... I think the DIY stated 15 qts... I'll be doing mine soon as well and gonna try Royal Purple...
I've had the purple for over 6 mos now no probs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's interesting that your dealer wants to do a flush. Have him check his tsb's for the one where Nissan specifically tells it's dealers NOT TO USE A FLUSH MACHINE!! I would recommend just a drain and refill in your case.

·
Registered
533 Posts
You should be fine... double check amount of fluid used, if it's under 6 qts, they just drained and filled, a flush (complete run through) takes over 12 qts... I think the DIY stated 15 qts... I'll be doing mine soon as well and gonna try Royal Purple...
I have been running Royal Purple Max ATF for the past 20k with no problems. Trans shifts firm and fine. I just hit 123k and the trans feels factory new.

Buy 16 qts of Royal Purple Max ATF and take it to your local trusted shop. I have used the BG fluid exchange machine twice (once with BG synthetic fluid and once with Royal Purple) and never had a problem. You can go to BG Findashop to find a place that will let you bring in your own fluid.

Also keep an eye out for sales at Advance Auto parts. They have online discounts and you can pick up the fluid in the store for about $8.00 per quart.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
It's interesting that your dealer wants to do a flush. Have him check his tsb's for the one where Nissan specifically tells it's dealers NOT TO USE A FLUSH MACHINE!! I would recommend just a drain and refill in your case.
IIRC it states that the use of aftermarket flush machines is not recommended. Machines that use an external pressurized system to flush are baaad news. A B&G flush uses the truck's own torque converter to flush the system, and is much safer. I've had mine flushed at the dealership 3 times with B&G and zero problems. My tranny shifts like new. I only have around 50K miles on my '04, and the flush is done every two yrs.

·
Banned
1,269 Posts
dont do a flush u will be ok without it now if the dealer insistes on doing it and the transmission goes out its their fault ;) re5r05a transmissions hate flushes ask toomnymods :D

·
Banned
1,269 Posts
IIRC it states that the use of aftermarket flush machines is not recommended. Machines that use an external pressurized system to flush are baaad news. A B&G flush uses the truck's own torque converter to flush the system, and is much safer. I've had mine flushed at the dealership 3 times with B&G and zero problems. My tranny shifts like new. I only have around 50K miles on my '04, and the flush is done every two yrs.
if ur truck has 50k why do u have to do a tranny flush 3 times???????????

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
if ur truck has 50k why do u have to do a tranny flush 3 times???????????
I never said I HAVE to, but I like to get it done every 2 yrs. Doesn't the service manual say 'Every 30k miles or 24 months' ? My truck IS almost 7 yrs old. Sure seems to be working; my tranny shifts perfectly smooth.

·
Registered
686 Posts
My 05 only has 12,500 miles on it but it's 6 years old. I'm having the tranny flushed Monday using a BG machine. Thank god someone in this small town has a BG machine and has no problem with me bringing in my own Matic-S fluid.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
My 05 only has 12,500 miles on it but it's 6 years old. I'm having the tranny flushed Monday using a BG machine. Thank god someone in this small town has a BG machine and has no problem with me bringing in my own Matic-S fluid.
Dude, you gotta drive more than that... Stuff'll break from lack of use just as easy as overuse... ;)

On a side note, let me know before you sell it...

·
Registered
686 Posts
I just got it in the middle of December, I've only had it for a few months. When I picked it up it had 8,600 miles on it.....LOL. Bought it from a guy who owned three titans in Scottsdale AZ, this one just never got driven. So, I've put almost 4,000 on it since I got it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well....got the flush or 'fluid exchange' as the dealer described it! Also, did a check of my tranny fluid and all looked good after 58,000 miles. They did not use a power flush nor a BG machine as they are very aware of Nissans warnings about aftermarket flush machines (Although I do realize BG works fine). They use another technique that I am failing to remember right now. I am dropping truck off tomorrow for a power steering hose leak they found (to be covered by my extended warranty thank goodness) and changing the fluid in the rear differential. I will ask what system they used to "flush" the tranny and post what it was. I do know it was a complete "flush" as 12 or so quarts were used in the process to refill.

Performance Nissan in Duarte, CA by the way.....great reputation for their service and why I went there!

·
Registered
686 Posts
From what I understand there are only two ways of flushing. One is using a machine that pushes fluid in and out using air pressure (This is the NO NO way), and then using the transmissions own pumping action to pull new in and expel the old (the way the BG machine works). So I'd be interested to know how they do it but I'm going to guess they remove the hose from the cooler line and use the transmissions own pumping action as they add fluid through the dipstick tube. There really isn't any other way to do a complete exchange.

·
Registered
334 Posts
They just want money, anyone tat knows about trannys will tell u they don't like being flushed! Drain and refill!!!!

Sent from my SPH-M920 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
686 Posts
To me flushing means expelling the fluid using a forced method. If you use the transmissions built in pumping action it's really no different than just driving it down the road, the transmission is working the exact same way during the exchange of fluid. This is why either the DIY method of hose removal and filling through the filler pipe or using the BK machine are the only way to go.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I thought I had super-low mileage! 43,000 miles on a 2005, purchased new by myself! I work from home (no commute--score!), and my truck is used for fishing and hauling firewood. I do fish 2-3 times a week during salmon season though. :eyebrow:

I had a spill-and-fill last summer at approx 38,000 miles. Fluid didn't look too bad at all. I will likely wait another 2-3 years before servicing the transmission again. Shifts very firm. I've never had any doubt in the transmission of this truck. It sure does hold a lot of fluid though! I paid about $240 for a spill-and-fill, and most of that price was the maticJ.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts